Instant Pot Sausage Gravy — The smell of sausage gravy is one of my favorite things about the holidays. I’m not sure what it is that makes this dish so comforting, but for some reason, it takes me back to my childhood every time I make a batch. This recipe has been passed down through generations, and I love adding my twist by cooking it in an Instant Pot! Give this old-fashioned recipe a try today and enjoy your holiday morning with your family!
This is my take on a traditional biscuit and gravy breakfast. I love that you only have to use one pan to get a great-tasting sausage and gravy. Usually, while making the sausage gravy, I cook the biscuits in the air fryer.
This is so good, and instead of spending Christmas or Thanksgiving morning over the stove, you can set it and forget it. So you can enjoy the holidays with your family! This is so good!
If you are looking for even more Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT BANANA NUT BREAD OATMEAL, INSTANT POT, GIANT BLUEBERRY PANCAKE, INSTANT POT, and BROWN BUTTER STEEL-CUT OATMEAL INSTANT POT, CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKE BITES.
What Is Sausage Gravy?
What is sausage gravy? It sounds like a delicious breakfast dish you can’t get enough of. Sausage Gravy is actually one of the most popular dishes in America. This dish has many variations, but it usually consists of cooked ground pork with seasonings and milk or cream mixed together until it’s thickened. Some people add other ingredients such as eggs, cornstarch, salt, pepper, or garlic powder for flavor. The mixture usually gets poured over biscuits or toast and eaten warm!
Today we made this recipe in the Instant Pot, which was amazing!
Why Cook Sausage Gravy In Pressure Cooker
Cooking sausage gravy in a pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot, offers several advantages:
Time-Efficient: Pressure cookers significantly reduce cooking time compared to traditional stovetop methods. They can cook food up to 70% faster, making them a great choice for busy individuals or families.
Consistent Results: Pressure cookers use steam pressure to cook food evenly and consistently. This ensures that your sausage gravy will have a consistent flavor and texture every time.
Deep Flavors: The pressure cooking process helps to infuse the flavors deeply into the food. This means your sausage gravy will have a rich and robust flavor.
Easy Clean-Up: Cooking your sausage gravy in a pressure cooker means you only have one pot to clean up afterward, making the process convenient and hassle-free.
Hands-Off Cooking: Once all the ingredients are in the pressure cooker, you can set it and forget it. This is a major advantage over traditional methods, which require constant stirring and monitoring.
You can achieve a flavorful and rich sausage gravy with less time and effort using a pressure cooker.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Sausage Gravy
Instant Pot Sausage Gravy is one recipe that will bring a smile to everyone’s face. It combines the savory flavors of creamy gravy, flavorful sausage, and buttery biscuits – all cooked quickly in your Instant Pot for an easy and delicious meal.
- Ground Pork Sausage
- Chicken or Beef Broth
- All-Purpose Flour
- Heavy Cream
- Black Pepper
How To Make Sausage Gravy Instant Pot
Gravy is one of those comfort foods that never go out of style. Whether you’re serving it over biscuits, mashed potatoes, or just spooning it onto a slice of toast, there’s something about the creamy richness and flavor variations that make gravy an irresistible treat. But what if we told you there was a way to enjoy all the deliciousness of your favorite gravy recipe in even less time? Introducing: Sausage Gravy Instant Pot! With this quick-cooking method, you can whip up a delicious batch of flavorful sausage gravy in no time flat – without all the work associated with traditional stovetop recipes!
Below, we’ll show you how to make sausage gravy instant pot-style so you can enjoy its silky smooth texture and savory taste any day of the week.
Press the saute button on your Instant Pot, add the butter, and let the butter melt. As it is melting, add the ground pork and diced onions. Continue to saute until the meat is browned; remember to stir constantly. Otherwise, the meat will burn and stick to the bottom.
Once your meat is browned, add in the chicken or beef broth. Add the lid and set the manual high pressure for 1 minute. Do a quick release after the time is up. Once the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped. Open up the lid, and mix well.
Mix in the flour and heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Press the keep warm button and continue to stir until the mixture is warmed up, about 5-6 minutes.
Pro Tips For Instapot Sausage Gravy
Cooking sausage gravy in an Instant Pot can be a game-changer. Here are some pro tips to ensure you get the best results:
- Brown the Sausage First: Use the sauté function on your Instant Pot to brown the sausage before adding the other ingredients. This helps to render the fat and adds more flavor to the gravy.
- Deglaze the Pot: After you’ve browned the sausage, flavorful bits will be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add a bit of broth or water and scrape the bottom of the pot to incorporate these tasty bits into your gravy. This process, known as deglazing, will also prevent the ‘burn’ warning on your Instant Pot.
- Thicken After Pressure Cooking: If you’re using a flour or cornstarch slurry to thicken your gravy, add it after the pressure cooking cycle. This way, you can avoid any potential burning or sticking during the pressure cooking phase.
- Stir Well: Make sure to stir well when adding your milk and flour to prevent lumps from forming in your gravy.
- Adjust Seasonings: Don’t forget to taste and adjust your seasonings after cooking. The pressure cooking process can sometimes mute flavors, so you might need to add a little extra salt or pepper after cooking.
- Keep Warm: If you’re not serving the gravy right away, you can use the ‘Keep Warm’ function on your Instant Pot. This will keep your gravy at the perfect serving temperature without overcooking it.
Remember, every Instant Pot can behave a bit differently, so be sure to keep an eye on your gravy the first few times you make it until you get a feel for how your particular model cooks.
Can I use a different type of meat for my sausage gravy in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can certainly use a different type of meat. Ground turkey or beef can be used as alternatives. Remember that the flavor will be different depending on the meat you choose.
What can I serve with Instant Pot sausage gravy?
Sausage gravy is traditionally served over biscuits but is also delicious over mashed potatoes, toast, or waffles.
Can I make the sausage gravy gluten-free?
You can make a gluten-free version using a gluten-free flour blend or cornstarch to thicken your gravy instead of regular flour.
Can I double the recipe in my Instant Pot?
Yes, you can double the recipe if you do not exceed the maximum fill line on your Instant Pot.
Can I store and reheat leftovers?
Yes, leftover sausage gravy can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It can be reheated in the microwave or stovetop, adding a bit of milk if needed to thin the gravy.
Can I use milk substitutes for the gravy?
A: Yes, non-dairy milk like almond, soy, or oat milk can be used as a substitute. However, this may alter the taste and texture of the gravy.
My gravy is too thin, how can I thicken it?
A: If your gravy is too thin after pressure cooking, switch your Instant Pot back to the sauté setting and simmer the gravy for a few extra minutes. You can also mix cornstarch with a bit of cold water to create a slurry and then stir this into the gravy to help it thicken.
How To Serve Instant Pot Sausage Gravy?
Sausage gravy is typically served as an accompaniment to biscuits, eggs, or grits. Nothing is better for breakfast than a biscuit drizzled with Instant Pot Sausage Gravy.
How Long Does Sausage Gravy Keep?
If you have any leftover sausage and gravy, place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator; it will last for 2 to 3 days.
You can also freeze it for about a month. Just ensure it’s in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container—Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
What kind of sausage to use for sausage gravy
You can use any ground pork sausage; I love it when you can get pork sausage infused with maple or sage around the holidays. It’s so good!
My mother would add ground chorizo to the sausage for even more flavor. You can also use Italian sweet or hot sausage for an added twist.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- INSTANT POT BANANA NUT BREAD OATMEAL
- INSTANT POT, GIANT BLUEBERRY PANCAKE
- EASY INSTANT POT, CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKE BITES
- INSTANT POT, BROWN BUTTER STEEL-CUT OATMEAL
- INSTANT POT-BLUEBERRY MUFFIN STEEL CUT OATMEAL
DON’T FORGET TO PIN!
Instant Pot Sausage Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 beef or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot, add the butter, and let the butter melt. As it is melting, add the ground pork and diced onions.
- Continue to saute until the meat is browned; remember to stir constantly. Otherwise, the meat will burn and stick to the bottom.
- Once your meat is browned, add in the chicken or beef broth. Add the lid and set the manual high pressure for 1 minute.
- Do a quick release after the time is up. Once the pressure has been released and the pin has dropped. Open up the lid, and mix well.
- Mix in the flour and heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Press the keep warm button and continue to stir until the mixture is warmed up about 5-6 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot, or Pressure Cooker