Air Fryer Crab Rangoon is a crispy wonton that is stuffed full of cream cheese and crab meat for the ultimate appetizer! Made in just 12 minutes, you can make homemade crab rangoon at the last minute.
These might be the best air fryer Rangoons you have ever had, they are amazing! This will rival any Chinese restaurant, that you have, and better yet, the air fryer makes a great batch of crispy wontons!
Crab Rangoon In The Air Fryer
Fried crab rangoon comes out crispy, absolutely delicious, and so easy to make at home with the help of your air fryer.
My family absolutely loves Chinese food; in fact, when I met my husband, he would literally stop by almost every night at the Chinese Restaurant on his way home from work. My kids share this love with him, as do I. I love ordering a batch of fried crab rangoon with Chinese takeout.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Chinese Food Recipes made with the help of the air fryer, here are some of my favorites, Air Fryer Sweet & Sour Chicken, Air Fryer Chinese Donuts, Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs, and of course, my favorite Instant Pot Chinese Fried Rice.
Why You’ll Love This Crab Rangoon Air Fryer Recipe
- Great for Parties
- Family Friendly
- Seafood Lover’s Dream
- Healthier Option
What Are Wontons?
Wontons are a type of Chinese dumpling. They are paper-thing sheets of dough that can be filled with almost anything. You can find them in both vegan and non-vegan options.
They are typically found in the grocery store’s produce section, right next to the tofu and egg roll wrappers.
You can choose square or circle options, the most common being the square kind. Today, I am using them since most of you can find them at your local grocery store. Typically in Asian markets, you can find circle wrappers.
What Are Crab Rangoons?
If you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine, you’ve probably had crab rangoons before. But what are they, exactly? Crab rangoons are small, deep-fried dumplings stuffed with a mixture of crab meat (or imitation crab meat) and cream cheese mixture. They’re typically served with a sweet and sour sauce on the side.
Well, we are making these air fryer crab rangoon without as much oil, so they are a healthier version. Plus, you don’t have to worry about hot grease splattering you!
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Ingredients
Making crab Rangoon at home is easier than you might think, and with an air fryer, it’s a breeze. All you need are a few simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time. In this post, we’ll show you how to make crab rangoon using an air fryer, so you can enjoy this tasty appetizer any time you want. So what are you waiting for? Get started!
Remember all of the ingredients, and step-by-step instructions are below in the printable recipe card, below.
- Cream Cheese: Use room temperature cream cheese; you can either use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
- Crab Meat: Use canned crab meat that has been drained. You can use actual crab meat, real crab meat, lump crab meat, or imitation crab meat. They all make for a creamy crab filling!
- Wonton Wrappers: You can also use egg roll wrappers that have been cut in half.
- Olive Oil: Use either olive oil spray, nonstick spray, or regular olive oil.
- Small Bowl of Water: Use a damp paper towel, with warm water
How To Cook Crab Rangoon In The Air Fryer
Step 1: Prepare crab rangoon filling
Start by making your crab filling. Blend the cream cheese and crab meat in a large bowl. On a clean work surface, or cutting board lay out the wonton wrappers. Put a tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrapper.
Step 2: Air fry crab rangoon
Then fold up the homemade crab rangoon. Brush water around the edges of the wrapper and then pinch the two sides together and then the other two sides to make a pocket, or fold up by opposite corners. Place the crab rangoon in the air fryer basket or tray, in a single layer. Rub the outside with the olive oil (outside only), or spray with cooking spray, and set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes.
Pro Tips For Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Recipe
- Overfilling: Do not overfill the wontons. You really want to seal them, so try to avoid overstuffing the wontons. Depending on the size of your wontons, you can probably use 1 or 2 teaspoons.
- Crispy Air-Fried Crab Rangoons: Spray them with olive oil, avocado oil spray, or nonstick cooking spray; this will really help them crisp up. The olive oil also gives the homemade crab rangoon a love golden brown color.
- Sealing Your Wontons: Make sure they are sealed. I used a pastry brush and brushed water on them to really create a seal. You can also use an egg wash.
- Crowding The Air Fryer Basket: Do not crowd the basket. Leave space around them, which will allow the crab rangoons to really crisp up. Otherwise, if they are touching each other, you will get raw spots on them. Repeat the recipe, until you use all of the remaining wrappers.
- Add-Ins: This is very flavorful, but you can add garlic powder, chopped green onions, or other seasonings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some add-ins for Air Fryer Crab Rangoon?
While I only used a few ingredients to make this crab rangoon air fryer recipe as simple as possible. A lot of my readers have suggested adding Worcestershire sauce, minced scallions, and some soy sauce. Play around with the flavors, and find something that you really like.
If you want a vegan option, remove the crab meat, and you can make great cream cheese wontons.
What Sauce Can I Serve With Homemade Crab Rangoon?
The typical sauce that you use is sweet and sour, but there are several options that will taste great. Some of my favorite dipping sauces are:
- House of Tsang Hibachi Sauce Sweet Ginger
- Ginger Sauce
- Japanese Ginger Sauce
- General Tso Dipping Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
Can I make fried crab rangoon ahead of time?
They are a perfect appetizer to make ahead if you have a large gathering. What I would do is prepare them ahead of time by adding the filling to the wontons.
Place them on a baking sheet using saran wrap to seal them, and they will last about a day ahead of time. Keep them refrigerated until you are ready to cook the crab rangoon in the air fryer.
Note: Don’t make more than 1 day in advance. Otherwise, you risk the chance of them being soft and mushy then as you need to place them into the air fryer.
If you want to freeze a batch, for the best results, flash freeze them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and then freeze for about an hour. Then remove the frozen crab rangoons and transfer them to a freezer-safe container or freezer bags.
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Frozen
You can buy them already prepared or make your own crab rangoon air fryer recipe.
Frozen Crab Rangoon Air Fryer Time
Place frozen crab rangoon into the air fryer and cook at 400 for 5-9 minutes.
How To Reheat Crab Rangoon In Air Fryer?
There is nothing better than leftover crab Rangoon! Remove them from the freezer and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When you want to cook them, place them directly from the freezer into the air fryer. Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, and air fry for about 5-9 minutes. (air fryer setting)
More Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes:
The air fryer is a great way to cook up appetizers quickly and easily. If you’re looking for some new recipes to try out in your air fryer, then you’ll want to check out these options. From onion rings to taquitos, there’s something here for everyone. So dive in and start cooking!
- AIR FRYER CHEESE STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- AIR FRYER CHEESY HASSELBACK POTATOES
- INSTANT POT QUESO
- AIR FRYER BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRIES
- AIR FRYER GUACAMOLE DEVILED EGGS
Crab Rangoon is a delicious appetizer that can be made in an air fryer. The recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the end result is a crispy, savory dish that everyone will love. Give this recipe a try for your next party or gathering, and you won’t be disappointed. Thanks for reading!
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers, or Egg Roll wrappers
- 1/4 cup water
- Start by making your crab filling. Blend the cream cheese and crab meat in a small mixing bowl.
- Put a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wonton wrapper.
- I couldn’t find wonton wrappers, so I used egg roll wrappers and cut them into 4 pieces.
- Then fold up: I brush water around all of the sides, and then pinch the two sides together and then the other two sides to make a pocket.
- Set in the air fryer tray or basket, rub the outside with the olive oil (outside only), and set the temperature for 330 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
- Air Fryer