What is easier to cook than a taco? A casserole, of course! This recipe is about the tastes you love but in a new presentation that will wow your family.
If you are craving Mexican food, you get everything from crunchy tortilla chips to spicy ground beef and melted cheese with just one cooking dish! Make it for dinner tonight, or serve it at your next party.
No matter the occasion, plenty of tacos are waiting for you here!
This is a recipe that will please the whole family. This casserole tastes like it has been cooked all day, but you can whip it up in less than an hour! You can also make homemade taco seasoning for better flavor control.
There is nothing better than an Air Fryer Casserole recipe, one of my family’s favorite recipes!
Suppose you are looking for even more Air Fryer Easy Recipes. In that case, some of my favorite recipes are AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAK WITH PASTRAMI COMPOUND BUTTER, AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAKS WITH GARLIC BUTTER, AIR FRYER CHICKEN FRIED STEAK, and AIR FRYER BEEF MEATBALLS.
Why You’ll Love This Taco Casserole Recipe
- Incredibly flavorful and hearty
- Loaded with protein and veggies
- Easy preparation, minimal cleanup
- An ideal dinner for a busy weeknight or taco night!
What Is Taco Casserole?
Taco Casserole is a dish that has been around for years and is a favorite in many households. It combines taco meat, corn tortillas, beans, cheese, and other ingredients to create an easy-to-make dinner that tastes amazing.
You can use your imagination to add whatever you want to this casserole, from olives to lettuce. The sky’s the limit!
In this recipe, we’ll be going over what Taco Casserole is, how it came about, and some tips for making the perfect recipe every time! Of course, all while making this classic recipe in the Air Fryer!
There is nothing better than Air Fryer Taco Casserole!
Taco Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Meat
- Taco Seasoning
- Bell Pepper
- Rotel: Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
- Sour Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Green Onions
How To Make Easy Taco Casserole
Step 1: Brown the meat
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add your beef, and brown your meat until there is no visible pink color.
Mix in bell peppers, diced tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning.
Mix well. Bring to a slight simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 2: Mix the ingredients
Mix the eggs, sour cream, and heavy cream in a small bowl.
Spray your air fryer wave baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, and then add your cooked ground beef mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the meat.
Step 3: Cook the casserole
Set the casserole dish into the air fryer, set the temperature to 300 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 15 to 18 minutes. When the time is almost up, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top. Remove when the cheese is melted.
- Drain your meat before adding the peppers and other vegetables for the best results.
- For best results, use room-temperature sour cream.
- Check your casserole as it cooks up in the air fryer since all air fryers cook at different rates.
- This Air Fryer Taco Casserole can easily be assembled ahead of time and then cooked up later. For best results, cover tightly with saran wrap.
What toppings can I add to this taco casserole?
I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my taco casserole. Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Sauces: Sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, mango salsa, pineapple salsa.
- Vegetables: Diced Tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado slices, diced red onions, olives, sliced jalapeno peppers, lime wedges, or fresh cilantro.
- Cheese: Shredded Mexican Cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese.
If you have any leftovers, let them cool to room temperature and place them in an airtight container. Then, put it into the refrigerator. It will last for about 3 to 4 days.
You can quickly reheat the leftovers in the microwave or air fryer. Heat until warmed through.
Taco casserole is always a hit with the family and can be frozen for later use. I recommend leaving out sour cream if you plan on freezing it.
Let the taco casserole cool to room temperature, and then place the taco casserole into a freezer-safe container. It will be good in the freezer for 1 to 2 months.
For best results, let the taco casserole thaw in the refrigerator.
Some Common Questions Asked About This Recipe
Can I use other ground meats for this casserole?
If you’re looking for something other than ground beef, try using ground chicken, ground turkey, or even ground sausage. It is keto-friendly and will give your taco casserole a new twist that the whole family can enjoy!
Can I add additional flavors?
This dish is not one recipe. You can’t go wrong with the traditional green pepper and cheddar cheese combination. Still, there are many other great options for spicing it up!
Try adding diced jalapeños or changing out the green pepper to something sweeter like red bell peppers if that’s your fancy tonight.
One of the best ways to serve this is using a typical nacho bar to add all of your favorite taco toppings!
What are some other variations for this delicious taco casserole?
This taco casserole can be made with different variations depending on your dietary needs. For a vegetarian variation, you can swap out the ground beef for pinto beans, black beans, refried beans, or diced portobello mushrooms.
Another tasty twist is adding some diced jalapeños, green chiles, salsa verde, or hot sauce to give it an extra kick! You could also flavor your meat with green peppers or yellow onion and top your casserole with black olives.
Don’t forget about adding crunchy toppings like tortilla chips, crushed Fritos, or even crushed avocados!
The possibilities are endless for creating a delicious taco casserole that everyone in your family will love.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER RIB EYE WITH GARLIC & BASIL BUTTER
- AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAK WITH PASTRAMI COMPOUND BUTTER
- EASY AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAKS WITH GARLIC BUTTER
- AIR FRYER KETO BACON-WRAPPED AVOCADO BURGER BOMBS
- AIR FRYER STEAK FAJITAS
- EASY AIR FRYER ROAST BEEF
- AIR FRYER TRI-TIP STEAK RECIPE
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
DON’T FORGET TO PIN:
Air Fryer Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 10 ounces Rotel
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced
Serve With Assorted Taco Toppings
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add your beef, brown your meat until there is no visible pink color—mix in the bell peppers, diced tomatoes, Rotel, water, and taco seasoning. Mix well. Bring to a slight simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs, sour cream, and heavy cream.
- Spray your baking pan with cooking spray, and then add your cooked ground beef mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the meat.
- Set the pan into the air fryer, set the temperature to 300 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 15 to 18 minutes. When the time is almost up, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top. Remove when the cheese is melted.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Baking Pan