Looking for a delicious and easy Mexican rice recipe that can be made in your Instant Pot? Look no further! This recipe is simple to follow and will result in a flavorful and tender rice dish. Serve this rice with your favorite Mexican dishes or enjoy it as a standalone meal.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice — Cooks know that there are few things more satisfying than a delicious meal. The Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe is an easy, quick, and flavorful dish for family or dinner guests. Additional toppings like avocado, cilantro, lime juice, or salsa can be added when serving with fresh tortillas for even more flavor! This recipe will only take you about 20 minutes total to cook, so it’s perfect when you want something fast but with high-quality ingredients. You’ll love this one!
I love rice in the Instant Pot, it’s so easy, and it comes out perfect every single time! If you have ever had a rice cooker, this will soon be one of your favorite kitchen appliances.
This Mexican Rice is unbelievably easy to make and tastes just like restaurant-quality rice. I’m not sure if you can use brown or white, but someday soon, this recipe will have two different options for what type of grain it’s made from!
This Mexican dish has been one that my family loves over the years; we eat more than our fair share on Taco Tuesdays (or any day, really).
What Is Mexican Rice?
Mexican rice is a staple in Latin American cuisine. It’s different from traditional Spanish paella because it’s not made with seafood or saffron, but instead just vegetables and seasonings. It can be served as a side dish to any type of Mexican meal or even on its own for lunch
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Remember all of the ingredients and step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card below.
- Olive Oil
- Onions: Use white, yellow, or sweet onions.
- Long Grain Rice: Other Variations Are White Rice, Brown Rice, White Jasmine Rice, or Arroz Rojo
- Water: Or use chicken broth, chicken stock, or vegetable broth
- Tomato Sauce
- Seasonings and Spices: Kosher Salt, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Serve with Fresh Cilantro, or Jalapeño Pepper
How To Cook Mexican Rice In The Pressure Cooker
- Press the saute function on your Instant Pot.
- Add the olive oil, then the diced onions, and saute onion for about 4 minutes until they are translucent.
- Then mix in the rice, and saute until they are lightly browned. This will give the rice an excellent level of flavor. Just be careful not to scorch the rice. Keep on mixing. Pay attention to stirring the bottom of the pot, otherwise, you may get a burn notice.
- Then mix in the water and tomato sauce, (or tomato paste) salt, and spices, and mix well.
- Add your lid, making sure it’s locked into place, and the pressure valve is in the sealing position. Set the cook time for 7 minutes, at high pressure.
- When the time is done, allow a natural release. Once pressure is ultimately released, open the Instant Pot, and stir everything together, this will give you a great pot of fluffy rice!
Pro Tip For The Best Homemade Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Toasting The Rice: To make sure you get the best results when cooking with an Instant Pot, I recommend avoiding toasting your rice before adding it to the pot because this can result in a burn message and will stop pressure cooking altogether!
- Spice Level: The flavors of this dish are not spicy, but it’s still very satisfying. If you want to add some heat (or get rid) just mix in cayenne pepper, Rotel Tomatoes, or sliced jalapenos peppers.
- The Best Instant Pot: You can make this recipe in either a 3-quart, 6-quart, or 8-quart Instant Pot.
How To Serve Homemade Mexican Rice
There’s something about a big, authentic Mexican rice that just makes you feel warm and comforted from the inside out. This recipe for homemade Mexican rice is the perfect way to add some southwestern flair to your next meal. Best of all, it’s easy to make and can be tailored to your own taste preferences. Keep reading for tips on how to serve up this delicious side dish!
Serving homemade Mexican rice is a great way to introduce new flavors and textures to your family at the dinner table. This dish is excellent with classic Tex-Mex fare, like tacos, burrito bowls, or fajitas. But it’s also versatile enough to be used as an ingredient in many other Mexican-inspired recipes, such as casseroles or stir-frys.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice And Beans: Add in some refried beans, red beans, or black beans. Add them in at the end of the natural pressure release, and then mix them all today, for a great main dish!
Instant Pot Mexican Rice And Chicken: At the end of the cooking cycle, add some shredded chicken to the Mexican rice, and make sure your cooking is fully cooked.
How To Store Leftover Mexican Rice
Storing Mexican rice is a great way to keep your great side dish on hand for later use. Whether you’ve cooked it yourself or bought it from the store, storing leftover Mexican rice in the fridge will help ensure that you have easy access to this delicious and versatile side dish whenever you need it.
Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to make sure that your rice stays fresh and at its peak for as long as possible. Here are a few tips that you may find useful.
- Store the rice in an airtight container: When storing leftover rice, it’s important to keep out any excess moisture that may cause the rice to spoil or lose its flavor. An airtight container is the best way to make sure that this doesn’t happen.
- Refrigerate it as soon as possible: Refrigerating your rice immediately after cooking can really help extend its shelf life. Just make sure not to leave it out for too long, or you may end up with extra-stale rice!
- Don’t use leftover rice for fried rice: If you decide to use your stored Mexican rice for fried rice, it’s best to refresh it first by cooking it in a pan before adding any other ingredients. This will help ensure that the leftovers are as fresh and flavorful as possible.
- Don’t reheat your rice in the microwave: Reheating Mexican rice in a microwave is one of the quickest ways to dry it out and make it taste stale. Instead, try using an oven or stovetop to heat up your leftovers safely.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- INSTANT POT CANDIED NUTS
- INSTANT POT SALSA CHICKEN
- EASY INSTANT POT RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN BROCCOLI AND RICE
DON’T FORGET TO PIN:
Instant Pot Mexican Rice — Cooks know that there are few things more satisfying than a delicious meal. The Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe is easy, quick, and flavorful for family or dinner guests. Additional toppings like avocado, cilantro, lime juice, or salsa can be added when serving with fresh tortillas for even more flavor! This recipe will only take you about 20 minutes total to cook, so it's perfect when you want something fast but with high-quality ingredients. You'll love this one!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Press the saute button on your Instant Pot.
Add the olive oil, then the diced onions, and saute for about 4 minutes until they are translucent.
Then mix in the rice, and saute until they are lightly browned. This will give the rice a great level of flavor. Just be careful not to scorch the rice. Keep on mixing.
Then mix in the water and tomato sauce, salt and spices, and mix well.
Add your lid, making sure it's locked into place, and the vent is in the sealing position. Set manual high pressure for 7 minutes
When the time is done, allow a natural release. Once pressure is ultimately released, open the Instant Pot, and stir everything together.