I love a great and easy meal, and this is one of my favorites. Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak!
There is nothing better for a great meal than a piece of perfectly seasoned cube steak and then fried up to perfection! This makes a great weeknight meal, but it’s also fancy enough to serve on the weekends to guests!
This is a straightforward recipe, and this dish air fries up to perfection with the help of the Air Fryer!
What Is Chicken Fried Steak?
Let’s talk about Chicken Fried Steak. Now the name of this recipe really confused me, so on my quest to find answers, I searched the web, where else.
Because when I told my son, Jason, we had Chicken Fried Steak, he said again, mom, chicken. I said it’s actually beef. He said, no, mom, you said chicken fried steak.
So, here is the deal. We called fried steak (which is really what it is) chicken fried steak because it is prepared in the same way that we make fried chicken. Did you know that there are actually two recipes that are:
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Country Fried Steak
Do they sound almost the same? Well, they are not.
According to Wikipedia, it is believed that the Germans immigrants brought the fried steak version over with them, which was really called wiener schnitzel (or breaded and fried veal cutlets).
The main difference between chicken fried steak and country fried steak is the gravy. The country fried steak is covered with brown gravy, while the chicken fried steak comes in white gravy, usually peppery.
What Is Cube Steak?
Cube steak is one of the most interesting-looking pieces of steak. Because instead of them looking like steaks, they actually look like linked hamburger meat.
The reason for their strange appearance is that they have been tenderized with a meat mallet by the time we get to see them at the grocery store or meat market.
So, the top is filled with holes or indentations from the butcher using a mallet to the meat.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Cube steaks
- All-Purpose Flour
- Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
Start by cracking one egg, and pour the milk into a small bowl, large enough for your steak to fit as you will be dipping it in there. In another bowl, mix the flour into it. I added some salt and pepper to season the flour.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Dredge your cube steak into the egg/milk mixture.
As you lift the steak, shake it off a bit so you get all of the residues off, then dip it into the flour/salt/pepper mixture.
As you coat the steaks, place them into the air fryer basket (already sprayed)
Spray your meat with olive oil spray. I spray the entire steak, so you don’t see any flour because if you see white spots before you air fry, you will see them when you are done, which makes for meat to be tough.
Set your temperature to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip the steaks and spray the other side with olive oil.
Meanwhile, make the gravy. As the steaks become cooked, remove them from the air fryer basket.
TIPS FOR MAKING COUNTRY FRIED CHICKEN IN THE AIR FRYER
- Spray your basket with cooking spray before you add your meat.
- If you find that the coating is not sticking, add a piece of parchment paper to the bottom of your air fryer basket.
- Spray the tops of the cube steak with cooking spray; this will really help your steak’s coating crisp up!
- If you use an air fryer oven, place the tray on the bottom shelf, so the meat does not brown too quickly.
- Leave space around the steaks so that they can air fry up perfectly!
HOW TO REHEAT CHICKEN FRIED STEAK IN THE AIR FRYER
If you have any leftover chicken fried steak, you can easily reheat it in the air fryer, place the chicken into the air fryer basket.
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer sitting, and air fry until hot, about 3 to 5 minutes.
For getting some of the crispness back, spray generously with cooking spray.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN COUNTRY FRIED STEAK IN THE AIR FRYER
This is a great meal to pick up from Walmart, Costco, QVC, or Omaha Steaks. Tyson started selling a version a couple of years ago. And it is fabulous in the Air Fryer!
To make the frozen country fried steaks in the air fryer, set them frozen into the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 380 degrees F, air fryer setting, and air fry for 5 to 8 minutes. Flip halfway during the cooking process.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH AIR FRYER CHICKEN FRIED STEAK?
Don’t Forget To Pin-
- 4 cube steaks (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by cracking one egg, and pour the milk into a small bowl, large enough for your steak to fit as you will be dipping it in there.
- In another bowl, mix the flour into it. I added some salt and pepper to season the flour.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Dredge your cube steak into the egg/milk mixture.
- As you lift the steak, shake it off a bit to get all of the residues off, then dip it into the flour/salt/pepper mixture.
- As you coat the steaks, place them into the air fryer basket (already sprayed)
- Spray your meat with olive oil spray. I spray the entire steak, so you don’t see any flour because if you see white spots before you air fry, you will see them when you are done, which makes for meat to be tough.
- Set your temperature to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip the steaks and spray the other side with olive oil.
- Remove the steak and pour on gravy before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
To Make The Gravy:
- In a small saucepan, add the butter, simmer on low heat until melted, then whisk in the flour, milk, salt, and black pepper. Continue to simmer until thickened.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 20g