Nachos are a beloved snack all over the world. If you want to switch up your nacho game, why not make air fryer nachos with refried beans?
This healthier take on classic nachos is simple and delicious – just six ingredients are required! Air-fried chips piled high with creamy refried beans, salsa, plenty of melty cheese, and your favorite taco toppings pack a flavorful punch! No need for deep frying or greasy pans; get your crunch without the mess in 15 minutes flat!
Ingredients needed for air fryer nachos with refried beans
If you’re looking to feed a crowd or have a game night snack for yourself, nachos are always the way to go!
But when making them in an air fryer oven instead of an oven or microwave, knowing which ingredients to use can be tricky. Today we’re here with all the information you need about how to make delicious air fryer nachos with refried beans – everything from what type of chip and seasonings to add, all the toppings that help enhance flavor and texture, as well as techniques on how cook your chips just right without burning them. So let’s get started!
Step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post as well as the nutritional information.
- Tortilla chips: Choose your favorite brand or make your own homemade ones by cutting corn tortillas into triangles and baking or air frying them until crispy.
- Refried beans: You can use canned or make your own by mashing cooked pinto or black beans with spices and seasonings.
- Shredded cheese: Combine your favorite cheeses like cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend.
- Toppings: Customize your nachos with various toppings such as diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, chopped onions, black olives, chopped cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
- Optional: Add cooked and seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken for added protein and flavor.
How to make nachos with refried beans in an air fryer
Nachos are one of the ultimate comfort foods. Whether you’re watching a movie, enjoying a game night with friends, or just trying to satisfy your cravings for something tasty and savory, nachos always fit the bill! But what if you want to make them even more delicious and nutritious? Enter refried beans!
Adding refried beans to your nacho mix will elevate this classic dish with its creamy texture and rich flavor. And while oven-baked nachos usually require preheating and long baking times, we have an easier solution: air fryer nachos with refried beans. Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to whip up all kinds of mouthwatering variations of this ooey-gooey snack favorite in no time using an air fryer.
Step One: Preheat The Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to the recommended temperature (usually around 375°F or 190°C).
Step Two: Cook The Refried Beans
Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom of the air fryer basket or tray. Spoon dollops of refried beans evenly over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese over the chips and beans, ensuring good coverage. Add any desired toppings, such as diced tomatoes, jalapeños, onions, or olives.
Place the nachos in the preheated air fryer and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the nachos are heated.
Step Three: Serving
Carefully remove the air fryer nachos from the basket or tray and transfer them to a serving plate. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with your favorite dips like sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
Pro Tips For Cooking Nachos With Refried Beans In Air Fryer
- Layering: When assembling the nachos, make sure to layer the ingredients evenly. Start with a layer of tortilla chips, followed by a layer of refried beans, and then sprinkle the cheese and other toppings on top. This ensures that each chip gets a delicious combination of flavors.
- Parchment Paper or Foil: To make cleanup easier, consider lining the air fryer basket or tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil before adding the nachos. This prevents the melted cheese from sticking to the surface, making it easier to remove and clean afterward.
- Cheese Placement: Place some cheese directly on the tortilla chips before adding the beans and other toppings. This creates a cheese barrier that helps prevent the chips from becoming soggy by acting as a shield between the chips and the toppings.
- Add Toppings Later: If you’re using delicate toppings like fresh tomatoes, cilantro, or avocado, consider adding them to the nachos after they’ve finished cooking in the air fryer. This way, the toppings will retain freshness and texture without overcooking.
- Keep an Eye on Cooking Time: Cooking times can vary depending on the air fryer model and the number of ingredients used. Keep a close eye on the nachos while they cook to prevent them from burning. Adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve the desired level of crispiness and melting of the cheese.
- Serve Immediately: Nachos are best enjoyed immediately when hot and crisp. Once the nachos are cooked, transfer them to a serving plate and serve immediately to ensure they stay at their best.
- Customize and Experiment: Feel free to customize the toppings and seasonings to your liking. You can add your favorite spices or try different combinations of toppings to create unique flavor profiles. The air fryer nachos provide a versatile canvas for creativity, so have fun and experiment with different ingredients!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use store-bought tortilla chips for air fryer nachos?
Absolutely! Store-bought tortilla chips work well for air fryer nachos. You can choose your favorite brand or type of tortilla chips, whether plain, flavored, or multigrain.
Can I make my own refried beans for the nachos?
Yes, you can make your own refried beans for the nachos. Simply cook and mash pinto or black beans with spices and seasonings according to your taste. Homemade refried beans can add a delicious flavor and texture to your nachos.
How do I prevent the nachos from burning in the air fryer?
To prevent the nachos from burning, keep a close eye on them while they cook. Adjust the cooking time as needed and reduce the temperature slightly if you notice they are browning too quickly. Additionally, you can cover the nachos with aluminum foil for part of the cooking time and remove it near the end to ensure even cooking.
Can I use other types of cheese for the nachos?
Absolutely! While shredded cheese blends or cheddar cheese are commonly used for nachos, you can experiment with different cheeses to suit your taste preferences. Monterey Jack, pepper jack, queso fresco, or a combination of cheeses can add unique flavors to your nachos.
Can I add meat or protein to the nachos?
You can add cooked and seasoned ground beef, shredded chicken, or even grilled shrimp as a protein option for your nachos. Simply cook the meat separately and sprinkle it on top of the assembled nachos before air frying.
What are some suggested dipping sauces for nachos?
You can serve various dipping sauces with your air fryer nachos, such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream, queso dip, or even homemade chipotle mayo. These sauces can add extra flavor and enhance your nacho experience.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
- PREPARING A BUNDT CAKE IN THE AIR FRYER OR INSTANT POT
- AIR FRYER PEACH DUMP CAKE
- BETTY CROCKER MUG TREATS AIR FRYER
- HOW TO BAKE A CAKE IN THE NINJA FOODI
- AIR FRYER PUMPKIN CAKE POPS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT PANERA CINNAMON CRUMB COFFEE CAKE
Air fryer nachos with refried beans
- 1/2 bag corn tortilla chips
- 8 ounces refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large Roma Tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Preheat your air fryer to the recommended temperature (usually around 375°F or 190°C).
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom of the air fryer basket or tray. Spoon dollops of refried beans evenly over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese over the chips and beans, ensuring good coverage. Add any desired toppings, such as diced tomatoes, jalapeños, onions, or olives.
- Place the nachos in the preheated air fryer and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the nachos are heated.
- Carefully remove the air fryer nachos from the basket or tray and transfer them to a serving plate. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with your favorite dips like sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
- Air Fryer