Make Chicken Breast in Air Fryer as part of a meal or to use in other dishes. They come out perfectly cooked and juicy every time. Once you make chicken breasts in the air fryer, you will never cook them any other way. They are delicious!
Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
Cooking chicken breasts can be a challenge – they can quickly become dry and overcooked. But air fryer boneless chicken breast is simple to cook and ready in minutes. It’s a staple recipe you’ll be using again and again!
You’ll be able to make succulent, flavorful chicken breasts in your air fryer for a speedy supper or supper prep. I love throwing them in my salads for a quick and healthy meal, especially with fresh produce in the summer months!
This air fryer chicken breast recipe is easy to customize with seasonings, sauces, and marinades. Use it as inspiration for whatever flavors you are craving.
We have plenty more Air Fryer Chicken Recipes for you to try like CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN BITES, AIR FRYER CHICKEN THIGH SKEWERS, CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS, and AIR FRYER DRUMSTICKS WITH VEGETABLES.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
- Quick and easy to make
- Little to no prep
- Customize with different flavors
- Serve as-is or use in other recipes
What Is An Air Fryer?
Want to make restaurant-quality chicken at home without frying it? Air fryers are the latest appliance craze, and they’re perfect for making delicious chicken breasts without all the added oil.
Air fryers work by circulating hot air around your food, so it crisps up on the outside while staying juicy and tender on the inside. Plus, they’re a lot healthier than frying. If you don’t have an air fryer yet, now is the time to buy one – they’re affordable and easy to use. So let’s get started with this recipe for fantastic air fryer boneless chicken breast!
Check out my favorite air fryer, and get cooking!
Ingredients Needed For This Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe
You can cook up perfectly air fried chicken breasts in either your air fryer basket or air fryer oven model with only a few ingredients. They are amazingly tender!
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: My chicken breasts were about 6 ounces each.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, parsley.
- Cooking Spray: You can also use olive oil or other high-heat oil.
How To Air Fry Chicken Breast
Step 1: Make the brine
Stir ¼ cup of salt and warm water together in a bowl.
Add the chicken breasts and set aside for 20 minutes to brine, or refrigerate and brine for 12 hours.
Then, drain from the liquid and rinse the breasts under cold water.
Step 2: Season the meat
In a small bowl, combine the seasonings until well blended.
Pat the rinsed chicken breasts dry and spray both sides with the cooking spray, or brush the chicken breast with olive oil.
Rub the seasoning mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts to coat evenly.
Step 3: Cook chicken
Working in batches if needed, place chicken breasts in air fryer basket and set the air fryer setting to 375 degrees F.
Air fry chicken breast for 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway. Chicken is finished cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Let air fryer boneless chicken breast rest on a plate covered with foil for 5-6 minutes. Then, garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Use a brine for extra tender chicken. A simple mixture of water and salt does a lot to create delicious, juicy meat. Let the chicken soak for as little as 20 minutes but no longer than 12 hours. After that, the meat will start to break down.
- Get creative with seasonings. This recipe includes my favorite blend of spices, but you can use whatever you want! Stick with simple garlic and onion powder or try a Poultry Seasoning blend.
- Add oil to prevent sticking. Brush it on the surface to help the seasonings stick, then give your chicken a quick spray on both sides before adding to the air fryer basket.
- Rest before slicing. Just 5 minutes is enough. This allows the juices to redistribute through the meat so each bite is extra delicious.
- Check for doneness before serving. You can’t go by sight alone! Use a digital meat thermometer for best results — if it’s not done yet, you can just cook for longer. If you don’t have one, slice into the chicken. It should be white all the way through and the juices should run clear.
Do I Need To Use Oil To Air Fry Chicken Breast?
Yes, you will want to add some olive oil or cooking spray to your chicken breast for best results. This helps brown chicken breast in the air fryer and also allows the seasonings to adhere to the surface.
You can use any high heat oil that you want. I have used avocado oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, and even extra virgin olive oil. They all work the same.
Should I Marinate or Brine Chicken Before Air Frying?
While we do use a simple brine for this air fryer chicken breast recipe, it’s not required. Brine helps to tenderize the meat, but the meat will still come out tender and juicy if you air fry chicken breast without it.
Feel free to use your favorite marinades when making chicken breast in the air fryer —either store-bought or homemade. It’s an easy way to add a lot of flavor!
Be sure to shake off excess marinade and spray your air fryer basket to prevent sticking. Always discard marinade after it has been used, since it’s been contaminated by the raw chicken.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Breasts in Air Fryer?
Since all air fryers are slightly different, the only accurate way to tell if a chicken breast in the air fryer is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, your chicken is safe to eat.
You should insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken to check for doneness.
Can You Put Raw Chicken In The Air Fryer?
Yes! The air fryer is another cooking appliance, just like the oven, Instant Pot, or slow cooker.
Add your favorite seasonings and sauces, then follow the recipe below for best results. If you need simple shredded chicken for another recipe, you can add simple seasonings like salt and pepper instead.
How To Air Fry Frozen Chicken Breasts
This air fryer chicken breast recipe will work the same whether you use fresh or frozen chicken breast. The only thing different is the overall cooking time.
Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F, then air fry chicken breast from frozen for 30 minutes to start, flipping halfway. Check the internal temperature and continue cooking until it reaches 165 degrees F. It can take up to 40 or 50 minutes total depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts.
Once the meat starts to soften, spray or coat your chicken with olive oil and add some seasonings. Don’t add sauces until the last 10 to 15 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Ways To Use Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast
There are so many ways to use cooked chicken breast! I love preparing a bunch in my air fryer oven on the weekend to make some quick meals during the week.
Some of my favorite ways to use this meat include:
- Salad: Chopped or shredded chicken is an easy way to add protein to any meal. Add it to a simple Caesar Salad or Garden Salad, or make this Copycat Chili’s Santa Fe Chicken Salad. You can even use the meat to make a classic Chicken Salad Sandwich.
- Pot Pie: I love using the air fryer to make a Homemade Air Fryer Pot Pie, and this is a great way to use up leftovers from this air fryer chicken breast recipe.
- Pizza: One of my kid’s favorite lunches is this Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Oh, so good! And it beats paying for take-out!
Storage and Reheating
To Store: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
To Reheat: Place your leftover chicken in the air fryer, set the temperature to 350 degrees F, and cook for a couple of minutes until the chicken is warmed up.
To Freeze: This is a great way to stock your freezer. You can freeze your chicken in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They will last for 2 to 3 months. Let the chicken thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat for best results.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes:
Looking for some other great and easy recipes for your air fryer, here are some of my favorites!
- AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD
- AIR FRYER BREADED EGGPLANT
- EASY AIR FRYER IRISH SODA BREAD
- AIR FRYER PIZZA HUT BREADSTICKS
Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3-4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, for brine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Stir the ¼ cup of salt and warm water into a bowl and stir. Add the chicken breasts and set aside for 20 minutes to brine, or refrigerate and brine for up to 12 hour
- After the chicken brine’s, drain from the liquid and rinse the breasts under cold water.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings until well blended.
- Pat the rinsed chicken breasts dry and spray both sides with the cooking spray.
- Rub the seasoning mixture onto the chicken breasts on both sides to coat evenly.
- Working in batches if needed, place chicken breasts in your air fryer basket and set the air fryer setting to 375F. Cook for 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway. Chicken is finished cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Let cooked chicken rest on a plate covered with foil for 5-6 minutes before garnishing with parsley, and serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray