Air Fryer Homemade Devil’s Food Cake—there is nothing better for dessert than a big old piece of chocolate cake.
Today, I turned it up a notch and made this layered Devil’s Food Cake, which is amazing! Layered with chocolate buttercream frosting, this made for quite the baking project this afternoon.
I actually had a lot of fun making this with my two sons, and they both learned that baking with the air fryer is super simple.
If you have not made a cake in the Air Fryer, you are truly missing out, and they come out amazing, light, fluffy, and tender. And they take less time than a traditional oven.
If you fall in love with baking in the Air Fryer, some of my favorite recipes are AIR FRYER SOFT DINNER ROLLS, AIR FRYER GLAZED BISCUIT DONUTS, AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BOMBS, and AIR FRYER DESSERT NACHOS.
What Is Devil’s Food Cake?
Devil’s food cake is supposed to be the opposite of an Angel Food Cake, which is how the name was derived.
To me, Devil’s food cake means a rich, thick and sinful dessert, mostly covered with chocolate buttercream. A truly sinful dessert.
The opposite of Angel Food Cake, which we think of as a light, fluffy and airy dessert.
Ingredients In Air Fryer Homemade Devil’s Food Cake
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Hot Coffee
- Pure Vanilla Extract
How To Make Air Fryer Homemade Devil’s Food Cake
Start by creaming the eggs and sugar together, mix the rest of the ingredients in. Mix well.
Then grease your cake pan, be certain to grease the edges really well. (I used olive oil, but feel free to use non-stick cooking spray)
Set in the air fryer (air fryer setting) 320 degrees F, for 12 minutes. Check and make sure that It is completely cooked, otherwise add a few minutes. Let cool, once it’s completely cool, frost the cake.
Today, I used my recipe for buttercream chocolate frosting, which I think goes very well with this cake, but you can also use canned frosting.
I would recommend that you keep with the traditional chocolate frosting. Some great options if you don’t want to make a homemade frosting are:
- Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Frosting by Betty Crocker
What Pan To Use In The Air Fryer For Cakes?
One of the most common problems people have when they make cakes is that the center does not cook fully.
To solve this problem, what you want to do is use a thinner cake pan, than you would use in your oven.
I have used these successful for years. (affiliate link included)
Some Other Great Air Fryer Cake Recipes:
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY CRISP
- AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- EASY AIR FRYER COPYCAT HOSTESS CUPCAKES
- AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE COOKIE CHEESECAKE
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK BUNDT CAKE
- EASY AIR FRYER HOMEMADE YELLOW CUPCAKES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting: Buttercream Frosting
- Start by creaming the eggs and sugar together.
- Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Then, grease your cake pan, be certain to grease the edges really well. (I used olive oil, but feel free to use non-stick cooking spray)
- Set in the air fryer (air fryer setting) 320 degrees F for 12 minutes.
- Check and make sure that It is completely cooked; otherwise, add a few minutes.
- Let cool; once it's completely cool, frost the cake.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 718mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 2gSugar: 54gProtein: 7g