Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken — The sweet and sour sauce is a staple in Chinese cuisine. It’s typically made with pineapple, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and other ingredients. Although it can be made on the stovetop or in the oven to save time and energy, you might want to try this recipe for Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken instead. The secret ingredient? Keep on reading!
Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken is amazing in the Air Fryer!! Where else do you get crispy chicken surrounded by a sweet and sour sauce. This sweet and sour chicken dinner in the air fryer will take you less than 15 minutes. And it is so much better than Chinese Takeout!
If you like Chinese Food, I have a whole bunch of tried and true recipes. Some of my absolute favorites are Air Fryer Crab Rangoon and a great Copycat Recipe for Instant Pot Chinese Fried Rice.
This chicken’s taste is the same as the version you would receive at any Chinese Restaurant, lightly and amazing.
Easy Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken
I am so all about the ease of meals prepared in the air fryer. After all, that is so why I started using it, easy and delicious. I love Chinese food, so making this dish in the air fryer was life-changing. If you love Chinese food, you will absolutely love this recipe.
It is a simple sauce that is drizzled on top of the chicken. The chicken is crispy and tastes just like the real version at the Chinese Restaurants.
The key to this recipe is to toss the chicken with cornstarch, which will help it keep tender, moist, and absolutely delicious.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces.Once you finished chopping the chicken, move on to make the dipping stations. In one bowl, mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and five-spice. Mix well.
In another bowl, beat the egg, and add the sesame oil, mix until well incorporated. Spray the basket with olive oil spray. Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture. Then into the egg mixture and then back into the cornstarch mixture.
As you batter them, place them in your air fryer basket. Spray very generously with olive oil spray. Set the temperature to 370 degrees for 5 minutes, air fryer setting.
After 5 minutes, flip and spray with olive oil (completely covering them, so the batter gets crispy). Air fry for another 5 minutes.
Can I use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, if you only have frozen chicken breasts on hand, this is a great recipe to use them up with. The hard part would be breading the chicken. You will not get the same crunch as the breaded nuggets.
My best advice would be to thaw them, either in cold water or in the microwave. And then follow the recipe.
Can I use Chicken Thighs?
Yes, this would be an excellent recipe to use some meaty chicken thighs.
Chicken thighs in the air fryer do amazingly well. They crisp nicely and have a meaty texture while still being tender in the air fryer.
How Do I Store Leftover Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken?
Easy, let the dish cool to room temperature. And then place the leftover chicken into an airtight container. Place the container into the refrigerator.
The leftover Sweet and Sour Chicken will last about 2 to 3 days.
How Do I Reheat Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken?
The best way to reheat this meal would be to place it in a microwave-safe dish. Place the dish into the microwave, microwave at 50% power for 3 to 4 minutes, and stir halfway.
If you do not own a microwave or wish to reheat in the air fryer, place the leftover chicken (without the sauce) and reheat for 3 to 5 minutes at 330 degrees F, air fryer setting.
What Are Some Good Items To Serve Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken With?
I love making a homemade Chinese Feast at my house. Some of my favorite dishes are:
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Instant Pot Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
- Air Fryer Copycat Panda Cream Cheese
- Easy Dessert Air Fryer Wontons
- Air Fryer Chinese Donuts
- 2 pounds boneless breast of chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Once you have finished chopping the chicken, move on to make the dipping stations.
- In one bowl, mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and five-spice. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, and add the sesame oil. Mix until well incorporated.
- Spray the basket with olive oil spray.
- Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture. Then into the egg mixture and then back into the cornstarch mixture.
- As you batter them place them in your air fryer basket. Spray very generously with olive oil spray. Set the temperature to 370 degrees for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip and spray with olive oil (completely covering them, so the batter gets crispy). Air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix the ingredients, except for the cornstarch and water. Whisk and simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Just keep on mixing the sauce so it doesn't burn or stick.
- Then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, and simmer for another 5 minutes until thickened.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 1225mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 31g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.