Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken is amazing in the Air Fryer!! Where else do you get crispy chicken surrounded by a sweet and sour sauce. This sweet and sour chicken dinner in the air fryer will take you less than 15 minutes. And it is so much better than Chinese Takeout!
If you like Chinese Food, I have a whole bunch of tried and true recipes. Some of my absolute favorites are Air Fryer Crab Rangoon and a great Copycat Recipe for Instant Pot Chinese Fried Rice.
This chicken’s taste is the same as the version you would receive at any Chinese Restaurant, lightly and amazing.
Easy Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken
I am so all about the ease of meals prepared in the air fryer. After all, that is so why I started using it, easy and delicious. I love Chinese food, so making this dish in the air fryer was life-changing. If you love Chinese food, you will absolutely love this recipe.
It is a simple sauce that is drizzled on top of the chicken. The chicken is crispy and tastes just like the real version at the Chinese Restaurants.
The key to this recipe is to toss the chicken with cornstarch, which will help it keep tender, moist, and absolutely delicious.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces.
Once you finished chopping the chicken, move on to make the dipping stations.
In one bowl, mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and five-spice. Mix well.
In another bowl, beat the egg, and add the sesame oil, mix until well incorporated.
Spray the basket with olive oil spray.
Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture. Then into the egg mixture and then back into the cornstarch mixture.
As you batter them, place them in your air fryer basket. Spray very generously with olive oil spray. Set the temperature to 370 degrees for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip and spray with olive oil (completely covering them, so the batter gets crispy). Air fry for another 5 minutes.
Some Common Questions Asked About Making This Recipe In The Air Fryer–
Can I use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, if you only have frozen chicken breasts on hand, this is a great recipe to use them up with. The hard part would be breading the chicken. You will not get the same crunch as the breaded nuggets.
My best advice would be to thaw them, either in cold water or in the microwave. And then follow the recipe.
Can I use Chicken Thighs?
Yes, this would be an excellent recipe to use some meaty chicken thighs.
Chicken thighs in the air fryer do amazingly well. They crisp nicely and have a meaty texture while still being tender in the air fryer.
How Do I Store Leftover Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken?
Easy, let the dish cool to room temperature. And then place the leftover chicken into an airtight container. Place the container into the refrigerator.
The leftover Sweet and Sour Chicken will last about 2 to 3 days.
How Do I Reheat Air Freyr Sweet and Sour Chicken?
The best way to reheat this meal would be to place it in a microwave-safe dish. Place the dish into the microwave, microwave at 50% power for 3 to 4 minutes, and stir halfway.
If you do not own a microwave or wish to reheat in the air fryer, place the leftover chicken (without the sauce) and reheat for 3 to 5 minutes at 330 degrees F, air fryer setting.
What Are Some Good Items To Serve Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken With?
I love making a homemade Chinese Feast at my house. Some of my favorite dishes are:
SOME HELPFUL PRODUCT USED IN MAKING THIS RECIPE-
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN,
Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken
This is a great and classic Chinese Food pleaser; my kids love ordering these from the Chinese restaurant. They make a great light lunch, serve along with your favorite dipping sauce, or make the homemade sweet and sour sauce.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 2 pounds boneless breast of chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch pieces
- Once you finished chopping the chicken, move on to make the dipping stations.
- In one bowl mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and five-spice, mix well.
- In another bowl beat the egg, and add the sesame oil, mix until well incorporated.
- Spray the basket with olive oil spray.
- Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture. Then into the egg mixture and then back into the cornstarch mixture.
- As you batter them place them in your air fryer basket. Spray very generously with olive oil spray. Set the temperature to 370 degrees for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes flip and spray with olive oil (completely covering them, so the batter gets crispy) Air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the ingredients ,with the exception of the cornstarch and water. Whisk and simmer, for about 4-5 minutes. Just keep on mixing the sauce, so it doesn’t burn or stick.
- Then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and water together, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Keywords: Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken