Instant Pot Jasmine Rice Recipe — If you’re looking for the perfect side dish to accompany a wide array of meals, look no further than this delicious Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe!
Whip up a fluffy and flavorful batch in minutes with this foolproof method. Not only is it incredibly simple to make, but it’s also packed full of nutrients that will keep your family energized and healthy.
With its fragrant aroma and slightly nutty texture, jasmine rice has become a top choice among those seeking easy-to-make AND delicious meal options. And with this incredible Instant Pot version, you can enjoy all the amazing benefits without spending hours in the kitchen – get ready to experience restaurant-quality flavor right from home!
Welcome to the Aromatic World of Instant Pot Jasmine Rice!
Discover the simplicity and perfection of cooking jasmine rice with an Instant Pot! Known for its fragrant aroma and delicate flavor, jasmine rice is a staple in many cuisines, particularly in Southeast Asian dishes.
Our Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe takes the guesswork out of cooking this beloved grain. With the Instant Pot, you’ll achieve consistently fluffy and tender rice every time, without the need for constant monitoring or adjusting heat settings. This recipe is a game-changer for those who appreciate the delicate nature of jasmine rice but want a foolproof and efficient cooking method.
Whether you’re pairing it with savory curry, using it as a base for a stir-fry, or enjoying it plain as a comforting side, this Instant Pot method is set to become your go-to for a perfect rice experience. Let’s get ready to unlock the secret to beautifully cooked jasmine rice at the touch of a button!
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice Ingredients
Step into the world of effortless and perfect rice cooking with our Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe. This simple yet essential list of ingredients will guide you in creating fluffy, aromatic jasmine rice, a versatile side that complements an array of dishes. Let’s explore the key components that make this dish a delightful and easy addition to your meal repertoire.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Jasmine Rice: The star of the dish, jasmine rice is known for its long grains, fragrant aroma, and slightly sticky texture when cooked. It’s essential to use authentic jasmine rice for its characteristic flavor and texture.
- Water: The perfect water ratio to rice in an Instant Pot ensures each grain cooks evenly, resulting in perfectly fluffy rice. This one-to-one ratio is a simple yet effective guide for ideal consistency.
- Salt: A pinch of salt can enhance the natural flavor of the jasmine rice, making it more palatable and bringing out its subtle aromatic qualities.
- Butter or Oil: Adding a bit of butter or oil can enrich the rice with a slightly creamy texture and a hint of richness. This addition is optional but can elevate the overall taste.
How to Make Jasmine Rice in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Cooking jasmine rice in an Instant Pot is a convenient and foolproof method to achieve perfectly fluffy rice. Here’s a simple guide to help you make it:
Rinse the Rice: Begin by rinsing the jasmine rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This step removes excess starch and prevents the rice from being too sticky.
Combine Ingredients in Instant Pot: Add the rinsed rice to the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup of water (ensure the ratio is 1:1 for rice to water). Add salt for flavor and butter or oil for a richer texture if desired.
How Long to Cook Jasmine Rice in Instant Pot
Secure the Lid and Set the Instant Pot: Close the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Select the ‘Pressure Cook’ or ‘Manual’ setting and set the timer for 5 minutes on high pressure. This timing works well for most Instant Pot models and yields fluffy jasmine rice.
Natural Pressure Release: Once the cooking time is up, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for about 10 minutes. This means you leave the Instant Pot alone for 10 minutes before doing anything else. This step is crucial as it allows the rice to finish cooking in the residual steam and heat.
Release Remaining Pressure: After 10 minutes of natural release, carefully turn the valve to the venting position to release any remaining pressure. Once the pressure is fully released and the safety pin drops, carefully open the lid.
Fluff and Serve: Fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains gently. Your jasmine rice is now ready to serve!
- Rinse Well: Rinsing the rice is an important step, so don’t skip it. It removes surface starch and helps in achieving non-sticky results.
- Water Ratio: Stick to the 1:1 ratio of rice to water. This ratio works well in a sealed environment like an Instant Pot.
- Resting Time: Allowing the rice to rest after cooking helps absorb any remaining moisture, resulting in perfect texture.
When it comes to cooking jasmine rice in the Instant Pot, there are several recipe variations you can try to add a twist to the basic recipe. Here are some creative and flavorful options:
- Lemon Herb Jasmine Rice: Add zest of 1 lemon, juice of half a lemon, and a tablespoon of mixed herbs (like thyme, rosemary, and parsley). Mix these into the rice before cooking. The lemon and herbs infuse the rice with a fresh and aromatic flavor, which is great with grilled meats or vegetables.
- Garlic Butter Jasmine Rice: Add 2 minced garlic cloves and increase the butter to 2 tablespoons. Sauté the garlic in the butter using the ‘Sauté’ function of the Instant Pot before adding the rice and water. This variation adds a rich and savory garlic flavor.
- Saffron Jasmine Rice: A pinch of saffron threads soaked in 2 tablespoons of warm water. Add the saffron and its soaking liquid to the rice and water mixture. This luxurious variation is fragrant and colorful, excellent for special occasions.
- Cilantro Lime Jasmine Rice: Add the juice of one lime and a handful of chopped cilantro after cooking. Stir in these fresh ingredients after the rice is cooked and fluffed. This zesty and herbaceous variation is especially good with Mexican or Southwestern dishes.
- Spiced Jasmine Rice: Add a cinnamon stick, 2-3 cardamom pods, and a bay leaf. Include these spices with the rice and water before cooking. This subtly spiced variation pairs well with Indian curries and Middle Eastern dishes.
- Mushroom Jasmine Rice: Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions. Use the ‘Sauté’ function to cook the mushrooms and onions before adding the rice and water. This hearty variation is rich in umami flavors.
What is the best water-to-rice ratio for jasmine rice in an Instant Pot?
The ideal ratio for jasmine rice in an Instant Pot is typically 1:1, meaning 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of rice. This ratio can slightly vary depending on your specific Instant Pot model and personal texture preference.
Do I need to rinse jasmine rice before cooking it in the Instant Pot?
Yes, it’s recommended to rinse jasmine rice until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. This helps prevent the rice from becoming too sticky and ensures fluffy results.
How long should I cook jasmine rice in the Instant Pot?
Jasmine rice generally needs to be cooked for about 5 minutes at high pressure, followed by a natural pressure release of 10 minutes in the Instant Pot.
Can I double the recipe in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can double the recipe as long as you maintain the 1:1 rice-to-water ratio and do not exceed the maximum fill line for your specific Instant Pot model.
Why is my jasmine rice too mushy or too hard?
Mushy rice can result from too much water or overcooking. Conversely, rice that’s too hard may need more water or a longer cooking time. Ensure accurate measurements and adjust cooking times as needed.
Can I use broth instead of water for extra flavor?
Absolutely! Using chicken or vegetable broth instead of water adds more flavor to the rice. Just maintain the same 1:1 liquid-to-rice ratio.
Is it necessary to use the ‘Rice’ function on the Instant Pot for jasmine rice?
While the ‘Rice’ function is specifically designed for cooking rice, using the ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’ function gives you more control over the cooking time, which can be preferable for jasmine rice.
Can I add spices or herbs to the rice before cooking?
Yes, you can add spices, herbs, or aromatics like garlic, onion, or ginger to the rice before cooking to infuse it with additional flavors.
How do I store leftover jasmine rice?
Leftover jasmine rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it for longer storage.
Can jasmine rice be used for meal prep?
Jasmine rice is excellent for meal prep. Cook a batch throughout the week as a base for different dishes or as a side.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- INSTANT POT, HOW TO MAKE KNORR’S RICE SIDES IN THE INSTANT POT
- HOW TO MAKE BOXED RICE PILAF IN THE INSTANT POT
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Water, for a 1:1 rice to water ratio
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, optional, for flavor enhancement
- 1 tablespoon Butter , or Oil: optional, for a richer texture
- Rinse 1 cup of jasmine rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This step removes excess starch and helps prevent stickiness.
- Place the rinsed rice in the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of water. If using, also add the salt and butter or oil.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to the sealing position.
- Select the ‘Pressure Cook’ or ‘Manual’ setting and set the timer for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- After the cooking time is complete, allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. This means not doing anything for 10 minutes post-cooking.
- After 10 minutes, carefully turn the valve to the venting position to release any remaining pressure.
- Once the pressure is fully released, open the lid.
- Fluff the jasmine rice with a fork and serve. It’s now ready to be enjoyed as a side dish or as part of your main course.
- Instant Pot, or Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker