Craving something a little different for dinner tonight? Try your hand at air fryer chicken croquettes! This easy-to-make meal is not only nutritious but also full of flavor.
The secret lies in the combination of juicy, shredded chicken and flavorful herbs mixed in a lightly breaded coating and then cooked to perfection in an air fryer. Not only will this dish be ready in no time, but it will also surely satisfy even the pickiest eater! So break out that air fryer, and let’s get cooking!
What Are Homemade Croquettes?
Chicken croquettes are a classic dish made with shredded or ground chicken meat mixed with herbs, spices, and other ingredients and then shaped into small, oval, or cylindrical shapes. The chicken mixture is typically coated in breadcrumbs and then fried until crispy and golden brown.
Croquettes can be served as an appetizer or a main course and are often accompanied by a dipping sauce or gravy. They are a popular comfort food in many cultures and are enjoyed for their crispy exterior and flavorful, tender interior. Croquettes can be made with various ingredients and customized to suit individual tastes and preferences.
Why Make Chicken Croquettes In Air Fryer?
Making chicken croquettes in an air fryer has several advantages. First, air frying is a healthier cooking method than deep-frying because it uses little to no oil. This means the chicken croquettes will have less fat and calories, making them healthier.
Second, air frying produces a crispy exterior similar to that achieved by deep-frying but without excess oil. This means that the chicken croquettes will have a crispy texture and golden brown color that is visually appealing and delicious.
Finally, using an air fryer is a quick and easy way to cook chicken croquettes. The air fryer cooks the croquettes evenly and efficiently, and there is no need to constantly monitor or flip them as you would with traditional frying methods. This makes air frying a convenient and hassle-free cooking, especially for busy weeknights or entertaining guests.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Chicken Croquette Recipe
Crunchy on the outside, soft and warm in the middle – that’s how you can expect your air-fried chicken croquettes to turn out. These savory bites are beloved by kids and adults alike, as they pack tons of flavor in a crispy shell. From experimenting with different ingredients to finding creative ways to shape them, we’ll share all our knowledge for perfecting your homemade air-fried chicken croquettes! So get ready for a delicious journey into crafting these tasty morsels using simple ingredients you may already have at home.
Remember the recipe instructions below in the printable recipe card and the nutritional information at the bottom of the page.
- Ground Chicken: You can either grind your chicken breast or purchase ground chicken
- Egg: For binding the croquettes together
- Veggies: Diced Onions and Celery
- Breadcrumbs: Or use panko bread crumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: For additional flavor
- Seasonings and Spices: Parsley, Minced Garlic, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Paprika.
How To Make Chicken Croquettes In Air Fryer
Are you looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy chicken? Try making Chicken Croquettes in your air fryer! This simple recipe is sure to become a favorite. Not only are the croquettes incredibly tasty, but they also require minimal preparation time.
With just a few ingredients, you can whip up these crunchy bites of deliciousness – perfect for snacking or as part of an entrée. Keep reading to learn how to make this easy recipe that you’ll be sure to love!
Step One: Prepare The Chicken Croquettes Mixture
Combine the shredded or ground-cooked chicken, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, onion, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and paprika in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the beaten egg to the chicken mixture and mix until well combined.
Step Two: Prepare Your Chicken Croquettes Shapes
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F, using the air frying setting; preheat for 3-4 minutes. Scoop about one tablespoon of the chicken mixture and shape it into small balls or small oval or cylindrical shapes. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Step Three: Air Fry Chicken Croquettes
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, or brush it with olive oil. Place croquettes into the air fryer basket, leaving space between each croquette. Spray the chicken croquettes with cooking spray.
Air fry the croquettes for 10-12 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Step Four: Serving
Remove the chicken croquettes from the air fryer basket and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Pro Tips For Cooking Chicken Croquettes In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips for cooking chicken croquettes in an air fryer:
- Use Perforated Parchment Paper: To prevent the chicken croquettes from sticking to the air fryer basket, place a sheet of parchment paper in the basket before adding the croquettes.
- For best results, preheat the Air Fryer: It’s important to preheat the air fryer to ensure that it’s at the correct temperature before adding the croquettes. This will help ensure that the croquettes cook evenly and come out crispy.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Air Fryer: To ensure the chicken croquettes cook evenly and become crispy, leave enough space between each croquette in the air fryer basket. Overcrowding the basket can result in uneven cooking and soggy croquettes. A single layer works best for air frying food in the air fryer.
- Spray the Croquettes with Cooking Spray: To help the chicken croquettes become crispy, spray them with cooking before air frying. This will help the breadcrumbs become golden brown and crispy.
- Flip Halfway Through Cooking: Flip them halfway through cooking to ensure the chicken croquettes cook evenly. This will help both sides become crispy and golden brown.
By following these pro tips, you can ensure that your chicken croquettes come out perfectly crispy and flavorful every time you make them in your air fryer.
What To Serve With Chicken Croquettes
Chicken croquettes are versatile dishes served as an appetizer or main course. Here are some ideas for what to serve with chicken croquettes:
- Salad: Serve chicken croquettes alongside a simple side salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber for a fresh and healthy meal.
- Rice: A side of rice, either plain or seasoned, can complement the flavors of the chicken croquettes.
- Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables: A side of roasted vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, or Brussels sprouts can provide a nutritious accompaniment to the chicken croquettes.
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes: A creamy side of mashed potatoes can balance out the crispy texture of the chicken croquettes.
You can create a delicious and satisfying meal with chicken croquettes as the star by choosing complementary side dishes.
Best Dipping Sauces For Chicken Croquettes
Chicken croquettes pair well with a variety of dipping sauces. Here are some of the best dipping sauces for chicken croquettes:
- Honey Mustard: The sweet and tangy flavor of honey mustard is a classic pairing with chicken croquettes.
- Ranch: Creamy and cool ranch dressing complements the crispy texture of the chicken croquettes.
- BBQ Sauce: For a smoky and slightly sweet flavor, serve chicken croquettes with BBQ sauce.
- Sriracha Mayo: A combination of sriracha and mayo creates a spicy and creamy dipping sauce that pairs well with the savory flavor of chicken croquettes.
- Garlic Aioli: The bold flavor of garlic aioli adds a tasty punch to the chicken croquettes.
- Sour Cream and Lemon Juice: For added flavor.
By offering a variety of dipping sauces, you can let your guests customize their chicken croquettes to their liking and provide a fun and flavorful dining experience.
How To Store Leftover Air Fryer Chicken Croquettes
If you have leftover chicken croquettes, here are some tips for storing them:
- Let Them Cool: Allow the chicken croquettes to cool to room temperature before storing them. This will help prevent condensation from forming and making them soggy.
- Store in an Airtight Container: Place the cooled chicken croquettes in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible from the container to prevent freezer burn.
- Refrigerate or Freeze: Store the chicken croquettes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheat Before Serving: When you’re ready to eat the leftover chicken croquettes, reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes until they’re heated and crispy. Place them on a frying pan, and over medium heat, heat until they are warmed; for added flavor, brush with melted butter.
Following these steps, you can safely store your leftover chicken croquettes and enjoy them later as a tasty snack or meal.
How To Cook Frozen Croquettes in Air Fryer
If you have frozen chicken croquettes that you want to cook in an air fryer, here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the frozen chicken croquettes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring they are not touching.
- Cook the chicken croquettes for 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time until golden brown and crispy.
- Once the chicken croquettes are cooked, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the brand of frozen croquettes and the size of your air fryer. It’s important to check the croquettes regularly while cooking to avoid overcooking or undercooking them.
By following these simple steps, you can enjoy delicious and crispy chicken croquettes straight from the freezer with the help of your air fryer.
What IS The Best Chicken To Use For Chicken Croquettes
Air Fryer Croquettes are a great way to use leftover chicken. The best chicken to use for chicken croquettes is cooked pieces of chicken s that is tender and moist. Leftover roasted or rotisserie chicken works well for this recipe, as it is already cooked and flavorful. You can also use poached chicken breasts or thighs if you prefer. It’s important to finely chop, using a food processor, or shred the chicken so that it blends well with the other ingredients and creates a smooth and cohesive mixture. Using a combination of light and dark meat can also add richness and depth of flavor to the croquettes.
What Are Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Croquettes?
Pennsylvania Dutch chicken croquettes are a traditional recipe originating in the Pennsylvania Dutch region of the United States. They are typically made with cooked chicken, a white sauce, and breadcrumbs and are often served with mashed potatoes and chicken gravy. Some variations may include chopped celery, onion, or parsley for added flavor and texture. Pennsylvania Dutch chicken croquettes are often shaped into small oval patties or balls and then coated in breadcrumbs before being fried until crispy and golden brown. They are a popular comfort food and can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
How To Know When Chicken Croquettes Are Cooked
The best way to know when chicken croquettes are cooked is by checking their internal temperature using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165°F (75°C) to ensure it is safe to eat.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can check the color and texture of the croquettes to determine if they are cooked through. The croquettes should be golden brown and crispy outside, and the filling should be hot and steaming when you cut into them. They should also hold their shape and not be too soft or mushy.
It’s important to avoid overcooking the croquettes, as they can become dry and tough. Monitor the cooking time and temperature, and adjust as necessary to achieve the perfect texture and doneness.
What Are Spanish Croquetas?
Spanish croquetas, or simply “croquetas,” are a popular tapas menu (small dish) in Spain. They are small, oval-shaped fritters typically made with a bechamel sauce and filled with various ingredients such as ham, chicken, cheese, or seafood. The croquetas are coated in breadcrumbs and fried until crispy on the outside, while the filling remains creamy and flavorful. Croquetas are often served as a snack or appetizer in bars and restaurants, and they are a beloved comfort food in Spain.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Turkey Croquettes
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Air Fryer Potato Croquettes
- AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAK WITH PARSLEY-GARLIC SAUCE
- PERFECT AIR FRYER STEAK
- FROZEN BEEF AND BROCCOLI IN AN AN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER STEAK FAJITAS
Air Fryer Chicken Croquettes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, diced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Combine the shredded or ground-cooked chicken, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, onion, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and paprika in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the beaten egg to the chicken mixture and mix until well combined.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F, using the air frying setting; preheat for 3-4 minutes. Scoop about one tablespoon of the chicken mixture and shape it into small balls or small oval or cylindrical shapes. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, or brush it with olive oil. Place croquettes into the air fryer basket, leaving space between each croquette. Spray the chicken croquettes with cooking spray.
- Air fry the croquettes for 10-12 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the chicken croquettes from the air fryer basket and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray