Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is a great side dish for any meal. I personally don’t think everyone uses the Air Fryer enough for roasted vegetables or casseroles.
This is amazing, and the broccoli is perfectly roasted, and on top of that, you have the melted cheddar cheese.
If you love roasted broccoli, you will love this dish. It’s an effortless dish, and I used the microwave first to perfectly steam the broccoli, making for a really simple side dish for dinner.
If you want to change this recipe, all you need to do is add a few tablespoons of panko, mixed in with olive oil, for a crunchy topping.
Looking for more air fryer vegetable recipes? Here are some of my favorites,
- AIR FRYER SALSA
- AIR FRYER ROASTED FETA AND TOMATO TORTILLA
- EASY AIR FRYER ARTICHOKE DIP
- AIR FRYER ZUCCHINI CHEDDAR SAVORY MUFFINS
Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Whip up a comfort food classic with a healthy twist – try our Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole! 🥦🧀✨
This cozy, creamy casserole combines the nutritious goodness of broccoli with the decadent, melt-in-your-mouth delight of cheese, all crisped to perfection in your air fryer. Say goodbye to heavy, overly greasy casseroles without sacrificing any flavors you love.
Our recipe is not only a breeze to prepare but also a fantastic way to get your greens in a deliciously indulgent form. Perfect for a family dinner, a potluck showstopper, or a tasty way to enjoy your veggies. Get your air fryer ready, and let’s transform simple ingredients into a spectacularly comforting dish that’s sure to become a new favorite in your household!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Dive into the world of easy, delicious, and wholesome cooking with our Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole recipe, where the simplicity of fresh ingredients meets the magic of air frying.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Broccoli Florets: These are the star of your dish, providing a fresh, earthy flavor and a host of nutritional benefits. Broccoli florets will become tender yet retain a satisfying bite after being cooked.
- Water: The water is essential for steaming the broccoli in the air fryer, ensuring the florets cook evenly and become perfectly tender before mixing with the other ingredients.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: This brings a rich, creamy, slightly sharp flavor to the casserole. Cheddar cheese melts beautifully, creating a deliciously gooey texture that pairs wonderfully with the broccoli.
How To Make Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Start with some broccoli florets, washed and dry. Then add about 1/2 cup of water to the bowl and place it into the microwave for about 5 minutes until they are softened.
Toss the broccoli with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
Pour the Broccoli and Cheese into a baking pan. Set the pan into the air fryer, and set the cooking time for 5 to 8 minutes at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting. At the last minute, add more cheddar cheese on top and cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
I would add 2 tablespoons of Panko mixed in with the cheddar cheese for an alternative topping. And you will get a great crispy texture.
Exploring different recipe variations for your Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole can add excitement and versatility to this delightful dish. Here are some creative ideas to try:
- Bacon and Mushroom Twist: Add cooked, chopped bacon and sautéed mushrooms to the casserole for a savory depth of flavor.
- Spicy Kick: Mix in red pepper flakes or diced jalapeños for a spicy version, adding some heat to the creamy cheese and broccoli.
- Different Cheese Blends: Experiment with different types of cheese like Gouda, Swiss, or a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack to change the flavor profile.
- Garlic and Herb: Infuse the dish with minced garlic and herbs like thyme or rosemary for an aromatic touch.
- Crunchy Topping: Sprinkle a breadcrumb and parmesan cheese mixture on top before air frying to add a delightful crunch.
- Creamy Deluxe: Incorporate a splash of cream or a dollop of cream cheese into the casserole for an extra creamy texture.
- Veggie-Packed: Add vegetables like diced bell peppers, onions, or carrots for additional nutrition and color.
- Protein Boost: Stir in some cooked chicken or turkey to transform it into a hearty, all-in-one meal.
- Gluten-Free Option: Ensure your cheese and any additional ingredients like breadcrumbs are gluten-free for a gluten-free version.
- Tex-Mex Style: Mix in some black beans, corn, and a sprinkle of taco seasoning, topping it with pepper jack cheese for a Tex-Mex flair.
Here are some pro tips to help you perfect your Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole and elevate it to the next level:
- Pre-Cook Broccoli: Before adding to the casserole, lightly steam or sauté the broccoli florets. This ensures they are just the right texture – tender but not mushy – when the casserole is done.
- Evenly-Sized Florets: Cut your broccoli into uniform pieces. This helps them cook evenly and makes for a more appealing presentation.
- Drain Excess Water: Ensure it’s well-drained after steaming or rinsing your broccoli. Excess moisture can make your casserole soggy.
- Layering Ingredients: Layer the broccoli and cheese for an even distribution of flavors rather than just mixing them. This way, you get cheese in every bite!
- Use Quality Cheese: Opt for a good quality cheese that melts well. Freshly shredded cheese from a block tends to melt better and more evenly than pre-shredded packaged cheese, which often contains anti-caking agents.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket. It might take a couple of batches, but proper air circulation is key for achieving that perfectly crispy top.
- Temperature Check: Air fryers can vary in how they cook. Know your appliance and adjust the temperature and time as needed.
- Add Crunch: For a crunchy topping, sprinkle breadcrumbs mixed with a little melted butter on top of the casserole before air frying. It adds texture and flavor.
- Keep an Eye on It: Due to the varying temperatures of air fryers, keep an eye on your casserole, especially towards the end of cooking, to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Rest Before Serving: Let the casserole sit for a few minutes after cooking. This rest period allows it to set, making it easier to serve.
- Customize to Your Liking: Add your favorite seasonings or extras like cooked bacon, onions, or garlic for more personalized flavors.
What Is an Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole? It’s a dish that combines broccoli florets and cheese, typically baked to golden perfection in an air fryer. It’s a quick and easy way to enjoy a classic casserole with healthier cooking.
How Long Should I Cook the Casserole in the Air Fryer? Cooking times can vary depending on your air fryer model, but generally, it takes about 10-15 minutes at 360°F (180°C). It’s done when the cheese is melted and bubbly and the top is slightly browned.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli? Yes, you can use frozen broccoli. However, it’s recommended to thaw and drain it well to remove excess moisture that could make the casserole soggy.
What Type of Cheese Works Best? Cheeses that melt well, like cheddar, mozzarella, or a blend, are ideal. You can experiment with different cheeses to find your preferred flavor.
Can I Add Other Ingredients? Absolutely! Add cooked meats like chicken, bacon, vegetables, or seasonings to customize the casserole.
How Do I Prevent the Casserole from Being Soggy? Make sure the broccoli is not too wet before mixing it with the cheese. If using frozen broccoli, thaw and drain it thoroughly.
Is This Dish Healthy? Broccoli is a nutritious vegetable, and using an air fryer reduces the need for extra oil, making it a healthier option than traditional casseroles.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time? You can prepare the components beforehand, but it’s best to cook it just before serving to maintain the best texture.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Bagel Dogs
- Air Fryer Soft Pretzels
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs
- Easy Air Fryer Pizza Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Copycat Applebee’s Cheese Sticks
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Start with some broccoli florets, washed and dry. Then add about 1/2 cup of water to the bowl, and place it into the microwave for about 5 minutes until they are softened.
- Toss the broccoli with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Pour the Broccoli and Cheese into a baking pan. And set into the air fryer for 5 to 8 minutes at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting. In the last minute, add more cheddar cheese on top, cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Baking Pan