Air Fryer Bagel Dogs — Dive into easy, delicious snacks with our Air Fryer Bagel Dogs recipe!
Perfect for busy days, game nights, or a quick and satisfying bite.
These bagel dogs combine the crispiness of a bagel with the juicy delight of a hot dog; all made effortlessly in your air fryer. They’re a hit for kids and adults, in your plate in minutes. Get ready to transform your snack time with minimal effort and maximum flavor!
What Are Bagel Dogs?
Bagel Dogs are a type of snack or meal that combines bagel elements with a hot dog. Essentially, they are hot dogs wrapped in bagel dough instead of served in a traditional hot dog bun. The concept combines the chewy and slightly crispy texture of a bagel with the savory taste of a hot dog.
Here are some critical characteristics of Bagel Dogs:
- Composition: They consist of a full-sized or mini hot dog wrapped in a layer of bagel dough. The dough is typically similar to what’s used for making traditional bagels, which is yeast-leavened and often boiled before baking to achieve that distinctive bagel texture.
- Baking: After being assembled, bagel dogs are baked until the dough is cooked and has a golden-brown exterior. This process gives the dough a slightly crispy outside and a soft, chewy inside.
- Flavor Variations: While the basic version is relatively straightforward, bagel dogs can be customized in numerous ways. The bagel dough can be seasoned or topped with various ingredients like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or onion flakes. The hot dogs can also vary in flavor, ranging from traditional beef or pork to turkey, chicken, or plant-based alternatives.
- Serving: Bagel Dogs can be served as a snack, a quick meal, or even party food. They are often accompanied by condiments like mustard, ketchup, or relish, just like traditional hot dogs.
- Popularity: This snack is popular in the United States and can be found in some specialty stores or at home. They are especially appealing for their convenience and the novelty of combining two well-loved foods.
Bagel Dogs are a fun and easy option for those looking for a twist on the classic hot dog, offering a unique blend of flavors and textures.
Why You Will Love This Recipe!
- Unique Twist on Classic Favorites: Combining the beloved flavors of a traditional hot dog with the satisfying chewiness of a bagel, Bagel Dogs offers a delightful new take on familiar comfort foods.
- Fun & Easy to Make: This recipe is straightforward and enjoyable. Whether involving the kids in the kitchen or whipping up a quick snack, the process is as fun as simple.
- Customizable: One of the best parts of this recipe is its versatility. Feel free to sprinkle your favorite toppings on the bagel dough, like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or garlic flakes, or choose different types of hot dogs to suit your taste preferences.
- Perfect for Any Occasion: Bagel Dogs are great for various settings – from a quick family dinner to a playful addition to a party menu. They’re sure to be a hit with guests of all ages.
- Convenient and Quick: This recipe is ideal for those busy days when you want something satisfying without spending hours in the kitchen. These bite-sized snacks take less time than a conversation oven.
- Deliciously Satisfying: The result is irresistibly tasty. The crisp exterior of the bagel dough, coupled with the juicy hot dog inside, creates a satisfying texture and flavor combination.
- Healthier Alternative: By using air frying or baking instead of deep-frying, you can make a version of Bagel Dogs that’s less greasy and a bit healthier while still being delicious.
- Great for Meal Prep: You can prepare these in advance, refrigerate or freeze them, and heat them up when needed, making them perfect for meal planning and busy schedules.
By trying this Bagel Dogs recipe, you’re not just making a meal or snack but creating a fun and tasty experience that everyone will surely enjoy!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Bagel Dogs
Get ready to create a fun and tasty snack with our Air Fryer Bagel Dogs recipe! Each of these simple ingredients plays a vital role in combining hot dogs’ classic charm with bagels’ delightful texture. Here’s what you’ll need to make this great snack a hit at your table:
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Hot Dogs: Choose your favorite brand of hot dogs – beef, pork, turkey, or even plant-based – as the star of this dish. The hot dogs provide the classic, savory flavor that everyone loves.
- Crescent Rolls: Use store-bought crescent rolls or homemade crescent roll dough.
- Butter: use unsalted melted butter for the best flavor.
- Seasonings and Spices: Everything Bagel Seasoning, Poppy Seeds or Pretzel Salt
- Each ingredient makes your Air Fryer Bagel Dogs not just a meal but an experience.
How To Make Homemade Delicious Bagel Dogs In Air Fryer
Making homemade Bagel Dogs in an air fryer is a fun and easy process that results in a delicious, unique snack. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create these tasty treats:
Prepare the Bagel Dough:
If you’re using store-bought dough, let it come to room temperature. If you’re making dough from scratch, mix your ingredients, knead, and let it rise according to your recipe instructions.
Preheat the Air Fryer:
Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F (190°C). This ensures that your Bagel Dogs cook evenly.
Roll and Cut the Dough:
Roll out the bagel dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into about 1 inch wide and 8 inches long strips.
Wrap the Hot Dogs:
Wrap each hot dog with a strip of dough. Start at one end and wind the dough around the hot dog until it’s completely covered, pinching it at the ends to secure it.
Brush the tops of the crescent dough with melted butter. Then, add sesame or poppy seeds to the melted butter for extra flavor and texture.
Cook in the Air Fryer:
Lightly spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray. Place the bagel dogs in the basket in a single layer, ensuring they don’t touch each other. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
Set cook time for 10-12 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and cooked through.
Remove the Bagel Dogs from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite condiments like mustard, ketchup, or relish.
Exploring variations in a recipe like Air Fryer Homemade Bagel Dogs can add fun and creativity to your cooking. Here are some delightful variations to try:
- Cheese-Stuffed Bagel Dogs: Before wrapping the hot dogs in bagel dough, make a small slit in each hot dog and stuff it with cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or any cheese that melts well). This adds a gooey, cheesy surprise in every bite.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Instead of just sesame or poppy seeds, coat the bagel dogs with Everything Bagel Seasoning before air frying. This seasoning combines sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, garlic, and salt for a burst of flavor.
- Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs: Try a pretzel dough variation for a twist. After wrapping the hot dogs in dough, dip them in a baking soda and water solution before air frying. This will give the dough a unique pretzel-like flavor and texture.
- Whole Wheat Healthy Twist: Use whole wheat bagel dough for a healthier version. Whole wheat flour adds a nutty flavor and more fiber.
- Mini Bagel Dogs: Make bite-sized versions using mini hot dogs or cutting regular hot dogs into smaller pieces. These are perfect for parties or as appetizers.
- Spicy Kick: Add a spicy kick using jalapeño cheddar sausages or brush the dough with hot sauce and egg wash.
- Vegetarian Bagel Dogs: Substitute the regular hot dogs with vegetarian or plant-based sausages. This is an excellent option for those following a vegetarian diet or looking to reduce meat consumption.
- Breakfast Bagel Dogs: Wrap breakfast sausages in bagel dough and serve them with scrambled eggs for a unique breakfast treat.
- Garlic Butter Glaze: Brush the bagel dogs with a garlic butter mixture for added richness and flavor after air frying.
- Sweet and Savory: Experiment with a sweet and savory version by adding a touch of honey or maple syrup to the egg wash.
- Each variation offers a different flavor profile and experience, ensuring your homemade Air Fryer Bagel Dogs never get boring. Feel free to mix and match ingredients based on your preferences and dietary needs!
Pro Tips For Homemade Air Fryer Bagel Dogs
Creating perfect homemade Air Fryer Bagel Dogs can be straightforward and enjoyable, especially with a few pro tips to guide you. Here are some expert suggestions to ensure your Bagel Dogs turn out delicious every time:
- Dough Consistency is Key: The bagel dough should be neither sticky nor dry. It will be hard to handle and wrap around the hot dogs if it’s too sticky. If it’s too dry, it might crack. Adjust with a little more flour or water as needed.
- Preheat Your Air Fryer: Always preheat your air fryer for a few minutes before cooking. This ensures that the Bagel Dogs start cooking immediately and helps them get a nice brown exterior.
- Avoid Overcrowding the Basket: Cook the Bagel Dogs in batches if necessary. Overcrowding the air fryer basket can lead to uneven cooking, as the hot air needs to circulate freely around each Bagel Dog.
- Use an Egg Wash for a Golden Finish: Brushing the bagel-wrapped hot dogs with an egg wash will give them a beautiful golden color and a slightly crisp texture. It also helps any toppings like seeds adhere better.
- Check for Doneness: Depending on your air fryer model and the size of the Bagel Dogs, cooking times may vary slightly. Check them a minute or two before the suggested time and adjust as needed.
- Let Them Cool: Allow the Bagel Dogs to cool for a few minutes after cooking. They can be very hot inside, giving the bagel crust time to set.
- Experiment with Toppings: Toppings like sesame, poppy, or Everything Bagel Seasoning can add a layer of flavor and texture. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings.
- Evenly Wrap the Dough: Aim for an even layer without thick or thin spots when wrapping the hot dogs with dough. This ensures even cooking and a uniform texture.
- Adjust for Dietary Needs: If you’re accommodating dietary restrictions, don’t hesitate to use gluten-free dough, plant-based hot dogs, or dairy-free cheese for stuffing.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve Bagel Dogs with a variety of condiments and sides. Mustard, ketchup, relish, and even cheese sauces can elevate the flavor.
What Are Bagel Dogs? Bagel Dogs are hot dogs wrapped in bagel dough and then baked or air-fried. They combine the savory taste of hot dogs with the chewy texture of bagels.
Can I Use Store-Bought Bagel Dough? Yes, store-bought bagel dough works well for this recipe. It saves time and ensures consistency in the dough’s texture.
Can I Make These with Gluten-Free Dough? Absolutely! You can use gluten-free bagel dough to make these Bagel Dogs suitable for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
What Hot Dog Types Can I Use? You can use any type of hot dog – beef frank, pork, chicken, turkey, or even vegetarian and vegan options.
How Long Should I Cook Bagel Dogs in the Air Fryer? Typically, Bagel Dogs take about 10-12 minutes to cook in an air fryer set at 375°F (190°C), but this can vary based on the air fryer model and the size of the Bagel Dogs.
Can I Freeze Bagel Dogs? Yes, you can freeze Bagel Dogs either before or after cooking. Just ensure they are completely cooled and stored in an airtight container or freezer bag. these are perfect for a an after school snack, or easy snack for the whole family.
How Do I Reheat Frozen Bagel Dogs? Reheat them in the oven or air fryer until they are heated through. If they are frozen, you may need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time. You can also rehat the frozen bagel dogs in the toaster oven.
What Toppings Can I Add? Popular options include sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Everything Bagel Seasoning, or grated cheese. You can get creative with the toppings!
Are Bagel Dogs Suitable for Kids? Yes, kids generally love Bagel Dogs. They are fun to eat and can be a great way to involve kids in the kitchen.
Can I Prep Bagel Dogs in Advance? Definitely! You can prepare them up to the point of baking and store them in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
How Can I Make a Healthier Version? Use whole wheat bagel dough, lean hot dogs, or plant-based alternatives. You can also stuff them with vegetables or low-fat cheese.
What Should I Serve with Bagel Dogs? Serve them with classic condiments like mustard, ketchup, or relish. They also pair well with sides like coleslaw, potato salad, or fresh vegetables.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Soft Pretzels
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs
- Easy Air Fryer Pizza Bagel Bites
- Air Fryer Copycat Applebee’s Cheese Sticks
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Bagel Dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 package crescent dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1 large egg, for egg wash or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds, optional, for topping
- Prepare Dough: Let store-bought dough come to room temperature. If using homemade dough, prepare as per recipe.
- Preheat Air Fryer: Set air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll and Cut Dough: On a floured surface, roll out dough into a rectangle. Cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- Wrap Hot Dogs: Wrap each hot dog in a strip of dough, pinching ends to seal.
- Egg Wash: Beat egg in a bowl. Brush over wrapped hot dogs.
- Add Toppings: Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if desired.
- Cook: Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place bagel dogs in the basket, not touching. Cook for 10-12 mins until golden.
- Cool and Serve: Let cool for a few mins before serving.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer for even cooking.
- Adjust cooking time based on the size of the Bagel Dogs and your air fryer model.