Masala Chai is a traditional Indian drink, but it has become famous the world over. This recipe for Instant Pot Spiced Milk Tea (Masala Chai) can be made in less than 10 minutes and is perfect for any day. The ingredients are simple and inexpensive, and there’s no need to make a separate batch of tea!
I have to prepare for my sister’s visit by cleaning and stocking up on chai tea. She doesn’t drink coffee, but she loves a good cup of the spicy Indian brew! So when I got an idea about how make it myself at home using this Instant Pot that has been sitting unused in our living room since Christmas morning…I took action right away so we could both enjoy some warm drinks together during her stay-toping off with one or two cups before bedtime seems like such sweet relief after spending time outside all day long while bundled up against harsh elements (in addition remembering what warmth feels like).
The first time I used my new Instant Pot, it looked so intimidating. At least in the beginning when we’re all still naive and figuring out how things work together. But now after several attempts (maybe even more than people realize) – well let’s just say there are few boundaries left for this addictive little device!
What Is Instant Pot Spiced Milk Tea (Masala Chai)
So, let’s talk about masala chai-it’s one of the most popular drinks in India and it can be found at all high end coffee shops across America (and probably elsewhere). I learned from my research that people who sell this drink are called ‘chaibis’ or tea vendors. Americans had a hard time saying chaabi so we just took off part where they said “wallah” which means walla*s but it also has another meaning: signifying approval with hand motions*. We didn’t know what maasal meant until Google Dictionary told us because now you’re aware too! It basically refers any number spices ground into powder for cooking Indian foods like curry sauce…
Ingredients Needed For nstant Pot Spiced Milk Tea (Masala Chai)
Now, to make this chai masala, you actually only need a few key ingredients, and you probably have the rest in your home already.
The main things you will have to purchase for this recipe:
Cardamom pods (I actually use these a lot, and I already had them)
The rest of the stuff, you can find in your cabinets or at your local grocery store, without any problem.
This is the chai tea I used. (The link is in the recipe notes)
Then in an Instant Pot safe bowl, that will fit in your Instant Pot, place the tea bags, water, milk, and spices
Wrap it up in foil.
Then add the water and trivet into the Instant Pot.
Place the bowl into the Instant Pot, onto the trivet.
Set manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
Uncover and pour into cups.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT CANDIED NUTS
- INSTANT POT SALSA CHICKEN
- EASY INSTANT POT RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN BROCCOLI AND RICE
- INSTANT POT HOMEMADE GHEE
- EASY INSTANT POT SOUTHERN DEVILED EGGS
- INSTANT POT ELDERBERRY SYRUP
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 chai tea bags
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-3 whole cloves
- Start by adding all of the ingredients into an Instant Pot safe bowl. Then wrap it up in foil.
- Then place 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot, and then place your trivet into the Instant Pot. Place the wrapped bowl holding the masala chai on top of the trivet.
- Add the lid, as per the instructions, and make sure that the vent is on "sealing."
- Set the manual high pressure for 4 minutes. After the time has been completed, let it go to L5 or wait 5 minutes. And then do a quick release for the rest of the pressure.
- When all of the pressure has been released and the pin is drop. Remove the bowl and strain the liquid. (This is where those mitts come in handy)
- Ladle into cups, serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.