My sister was coming to visit. That meant I would have to clean my house and stock up on chai tea. My sister does not drink coffee, but she consumes chai tea, by the pitcher. So, I was trying to figure out how to make it, when I then started thinking about showing her how to use her Instant Pot, since I got her one for Christmas, but she hasn’t even opened it as yet. My mother called me the other day to tell me it’s still in the original box on her dining room table.
Like most new Instant Pot users it does look intimating. The first time I used mine, I literally brought it outside for it to “explode,” obviously nothing happened that night, except for being becoming addicted to the Instant Pot. (Maybe we could start a support group?)
So, let’s talk about masala chai, it’s one of the most popular drinks in India, but it’s sold at all high-end coffee shops in America (and probably elsewhere). I learned from my research that the name comes from chai wallahs or tea vendors, and since Americans had a hard time saying wallahs, we just took that part off and call it chai. Masala, which I didn’t know, means any number of spices ground into a powder/paste for Indian cooking. Thank you google dictionary for both means.
Now, to make this chai masala, you actually only need a few key ingredients, and you probably have the rest in your home already.
The main things you will have to purchase for this recipe:
Cardamom pods (I actually use these a lot, and I already had them)
The rest of the stuff, you can find in your cabinets or at your local grocery store, without any problem.
This is the chai tea I used. (The link is in the recipe notes)
Then in an Instant Pot safe bowl, that will fit in your Instant Pot, place the tea bags, water, milk, and spices
Then wrap it up in foil.
Then add the water and trivet into the Instant Pot.
Place the bowl into the Instant Pot, onto the trivet.
Set manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
Uncover and pour into cups.
Kitchen Items Used: (* Note: Affiliate links are included)
Instant Pot Smart Du060 (I also made this in my mini, to make sure it works)
Don’t Forget to Pin–
Instant Pot, Spiced Milk Tea (Masala Chai)
This is such an easy way to make homemade Masala Chai.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 chai tea bags
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2–3 whole cloves
- Start by adding all of the ingredients into an Instant Pot safe bowl. Then wrap it up in foil.
- Then place 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot, and then place your trivet into the Instant Pot. Place the wrapped bowl holding the masala chai, on top of the trivet.
- Add the lid, as per the instructions, and make sure that the vent is on “sealing.”
- Set the manual high pressure for 4 minutes. After the time has been completed let it go to L5 or just wait 5 minutes. And then do a quick release, for the rest of the pressure.
- When all of the pressure has been released, and the pin is drop. Remove the bowl and strain the liquid. (This is where those mitts really come in handy)
- Ladle into cups, serve and enjoy!
Keywords: instant pot masala chai concentrate instant pot tea concentrate instant pot chai tea latte indian chai pot chai tea recipe indian masala chai pressure cooker chai tea instant masala chai