Instant Pot Poached Eggs — The perfect poached egg is a simple but elegant breakfast or brunch dish you can make in only minutes.
The Instant Pot has been making waves as one of the most popular kitchen appliances, and this recipe will show you how to make them in your Instant Pot! These eggs are also ideal for those who need to start their day with a high-protein, low-calorie meal option.
Can You Poach Eggs In Electric Pressure Cooker?
Yes, you can poach eggs in an electric pressure cooker. Many modern electric pressure cookers, such as the Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi, have a “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” function that allows you to control the cooking time and pressure.
Now you can quickly cook these eggs in the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot within minutes!
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Poached Eggs
These ingredients are simple, and with the help of your Instant Pot, you can easily make perfectly poached eggs.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Large Eggs: Eggs are the main ingredient for poached eggs and provide a creamy, runny yolk when cooked.
- Water: Water is used in the Instant Pot to create steam, which cooks the eggs gently and poaches them.
- Trivet: A trivet is an essential tool to keep the eggs above the water in the Instant Pot, preventing them from sitting directly in the water during cooking.
- Silicone Egg Cups (Optional): Silicone molds can be used to shape the poached eggs while they cook in the Instant Pot, giving them a uniform and appealing appearance.
How To Poach Eggs In Instant Pot
Here are the step-by-step directions for poaching eggs in the pressure cooker.
Prepare the Instant Pot: Place the trivet in the bottom of the pot. Add about 1 cup of warm water to the pot.
Prepare the Eggs: Crack each egg into a small bowl, ceramic bowls; this helps prevent any shell fragments from getting into the Instant Pot.
Optional: Use a Silicone Egg Mold: If you want perfectly shaped poached eggs, you can use a silicone egg mold. Place the mold cavities onto the trivet in the Instant Pot. Lightly grease the mold with non-stick cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking.
Add the Eggs to the Mold: Carefully pour one egg into each cavity of the silicone egg mold, and season with salt and black pepper, if using.
Close the Lid: Close the Instant Pot lid and ensure the steam release valve is set to the “Sealing” position.
Select Pressure Cooking: Set the Instant Pot to the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” function. You’ll typically use LOW pressure for poaching eggs.
Adjust Cooking Time: Set the cook time to 0 minutes at LOW pressure. Yes, that’s right—zero minutes. The eggs will cook in the residual heat after the Instant Pot comes up to pressure.
Start Cooking: Start the cooking process. The Instant Pot will take some time to come up to pressure, but it won’t cook the eggs for any additional minutes.
Quick Release: Once the Instant Pot finishes its brief cooking cycle, carefully perform a quick pressure release by moving the steam release valve to the “Venting” position. Be cautious of the hot steam.
Remove Eggs: Open the Instant Pot lid and use a slotted spoon to gently remove the poached eggs from the silicone mold or trivet.
Serve: Season the poached eggs with salt and pepper, and serve them immediately. They are delicious on their own, on toast, on an English muffin, or as a topping for various dishes.
How long does it take to poach eggs in an Instant Pot?
The truth is that different times depending on how you like your egg yolks. This will give you the best results every single time.
- 5 minutes: Solid Whites/Soft Yolks
- 4 minutes: Soft Whites/Soft Yolks
- 3 minutes: Soft White/Runny Yolk
Pro Tips For Instant Pot Poached Eggs
Here are some pro tips to help you make perfect Instant Pot poached eggs:
- Use Fresh Eggs: Fresh eggs with firm whites and intact yolks are ideal for poaching. Older eggs may have thinner whites and result in a less cohesive poached egg.
- Crack Eggs into Bowls: Crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin before adding it to the Instant Pot. This ensures that you can easily slide the egg into the mold or onto the trivet without breaking the yolk or getting any shell fragments in.
- Grease the Silicone Mold: If you’re using a silicone egg mold, lightly grease it with cooking spray, nonstick cooking spray, or a small amount of olive oil to prevent the poached eggs from sticking.
- Experiment with Cooking Times: The cooking time for poached eggs in the Instant Pot is set to 0 minutes at LOW pressure. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly based on your specific Instant Pot model and your desired level of doneness. If you prefer runnier yolks, reduce the cooking time even further.
- Quick Release Carefully: When performing the quick pressure release, be cautious of the hot steam. Use a long utensil, wooden spoon, or oven mitt to move the steam release valve to the “Venting” position.
- Perfect the Water Level: Ensure you have enough water in the Instant Pot to generate steam, but not so much that it touches the eggs. About 1 cup of water is typically sufficient, but you can adjust as needed based on your Instant Pot’s size and design.
- Season After Cooking: Season the poached eggs with salt and pepper immediately before serving. Seasoning too early can affect the texture of the eggs.
- Serve Immediately: Poached eggs are best enjoyed after cooking while the yolks are still runny. Serve them on avocado toast, English muffins, or with your favorite dishes.
By following these pro tips, you’ll have a better chance of achieving perfectly poached eggs in your Instant Pot. Enjoy your delicious and nutritious breakfast!
Can I make poached eggs in an Instant Pot without a silicone mold? Yes, you can make poached eggs in an Instant Pot without a silicone mold. Crack the eggs directly onto the trivet placed in the Instant Pot, following the exact cooking instructions. For today’s recipe, I used a oven-safe glass ramekin.
How do I prevent the eggs from sticking to the silicone mold? To prevent the eggs from sticking to the silicone mold, lightly grease the mold with cooking spray or a small amount of oil before adding the eggs.
What if I prefer my poached eggs with firmer yolks? If you prefer firmer yolks, you can increase the cooking time by a few seconds or use a higher pressure setting. Keep in mind that poached eggs are typically enjoyed with runny yolks.
Can I cook multiple eggs at once in the Instant Pot? Yes, you can cook multiple poached eggs at once in the Instant Pot, depending on the size of your Instant Pot, mold, or trivet. Ensure there’s enough space between the eggs to allow for even cooking.
How can I keep the poached eggs warm when cooking them in batches? If you need to cook poached eggs in batches, you can keep the cooked eggs warm by placing them on a plate and covering them with a clean kitchen towel or aluminum foil while you cook the remaining eggs.
What can I serve with poached eggs? Poached eggs can be served on their own, on a piece of toast, English muffins, or as a topping for dishes like eggs Benedict, salads, or grain bowls. They also pair well with hollandaise sauce, spinach, smoked salmon, and avocado.
Can I reheat poached eggs in the Instant Pot? It’s not recommended to reheat poached eggs in the Instant Pot, as they may overcook and lose their desired runny yolk texture. Instead, reheat them gently in a microwave or a pan of simmering water.
How long can I store poached eggs in the refrigerator? Poached eggs are best enjoyed fresh, but you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. Reheat them gently before serving.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Poached Eggs
- 2-4 large eggs
- 1 cup of water
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Start by spraying the ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then crack the egg into the ramekin.
- Then add your trivet to your Instant Pot, and then pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot.
- Set STEAM for 2 minutes.—If you do not have the steam button yours, you can also set it for 2 minutes, manual high pressure.
- Then do a quick release.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Egg Molds