Nothing is better than a perfectly cooked piece of Instant Pot Lemon Salmon. Made to absolute perfection thanks to the Instant Pot.
With only a few minutes to prepare, this is the best way to make a roasted salmon dinner for the entire family.
I love that it cooks up without me working on it. It’s literally cooking itself up. Perfectly seasoned and delicious!
You can easily serve this with rice, pasta, or even a garden salad for a complete, healthy, and delicious meal.
If you are looking for some other Easy Instant Pot Recipes, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND RICE, INSTANT POT SWEET BELL PEPPER COUSCOUS (FIESTA), INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, and NINJA FOODI OR INSTANT POT SPAGHETTI SQUASH.
Can You Cook Salmon In Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook salmon in an Instant Pot, and it’s a great method for steaming the fish and ensuring a moist and tender result.
The Instant Pot can be particularly beneficial when you’re looking to cook salmon quickly or infuse it with flavors from broths or marinades.
Why Cook Lemon Salmon In Instant Pot
Cooking lemon salmon in an Instant Pot offers several advantages. Here are some reasons why you might consider using this method:
- Quick and Efficient: The Instant Pot, a pressure cooker, can cook salmon rapidly. This efficiency is beneficial when you need a quick and healthy meal on a busy day.
- Consistent Results: The controlled environment of the Instant Pot ensures that the salmon is cooked uniformly every time, reducing the risk of overcooking or uneven cooking.
- Flavor Infusion: The closed environment of the Instant Pot allows the flavors, such as that of lemon, to be more deeply infused into the salmon. This results in a more flavorful and aromatic dish than other cooking methods.
- Moist and Tender Outcome: The Instant Pot’s steam pressure cooking method ensures the salmon remains moist and tender, reducing the chances of it becoming dry or overcooked.
- Less Monitoring: Unlike grilling or pan-frying, where you need to watch the salmon closely, the Instant Pot requires minimal supervision once set. You can attend to other tasks or preparations while the salmon cooks.
- Less Mess: Cooking in the Instant Pot can help contain cooking odors and reduce splatters or grease. This can make for easier cleanup, especially compared to frying methods.
- Versatility: The Instant Pot allows you to add other ingredients and flavors, such as vegetables or broth, that can be cooked simultaneously with the salmon. This can result in a more rounded and complete dish.
- Natural Flavors: When combined with the salmon in the Instant Pot, the lemon’s acidity and aroma create a harmonious balance. Lemon can enhance the salmon’s natural flavor, making it even more delightful and appetizing.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Lemon Salmon
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to make delicious Lemon Salmon in an Instant Pot? If so, then you are in the right place!
Below, we’ll discuss all the ingredients for making a flavorful Lemon Salmon dish with your Instant Pot. Plus, we’ll provide expert tips on preparing and cooking it with minimal effort. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with this savory yet zesty seafood meal!
Remember that the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of the post, and the nutritional information.
- Salmon Fillets: Choose fresh or frozen salmon fillets with a vibrant color, typically ranging from pink to a deep reddish-orange. The flesh should be firm to the touch. If available, wild-caught salmon often has a richer flavor compared to farmed salmon.
- Lemon: Fresh, plump lemons are best. They should be firm with slightly glossy skin. Lemons will provide a zesty and refreshing flavor, cutting through the richness of the salmon.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves will add depth and a savory aroma. Look for bulbs that are plump, firm, and free from blemishes.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: This serves as the liquid base for the Instant Pot. Broth can enhance the dish’s overall flavor compared to just using water—store-bought or homemade both work.
- Olive Oil: A good quality extra-virgin olive oil can add a rich and fruity flavor, complementing the salmon’s natural taste.
- Fresh Herbs (Optional): Dill, parsley, or chives can be added for a refreshing herbal touch. They should be fresh, vibrant in color, and aromatic.
- Kosher Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning. While table salt works, sea salt or kosher salt can provide a better texture and flavor. Freshly ground black pepper is preferable over pre-ground.
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional): Those who desire a hint of spice can sprinkle red pepper flakes into the dish. They add a warm heat without overpowering the salmon and lemon flavors.
With these ingredients, you’ll be well-prepared to create a flavorful and aromatic Lemon Salmon dish in your Instant Pot. The combination of the citrusy lemon, savory garlic, and herbs, all melded together with the richness of the salmon, offers a gourmet experience with minimal effort.
How To Cook Lemon Salmon In Instant Pot
Are you ready to try out a delicious and healthy dinner recipe that doesn’t take hours of laborious preparation and cooking? With the Instant Pot’s simple, time-saving operation, you can have restaurant-worthy Lemon Salmon on your plate in less than 45 minutes. This easy-to-follow guide will show you all the steps to make this amazing dish featuring lemon juice, garlic, parsley, and dill – perfect for a quick yet impressive midweek meal!
Rinse the salmon fillets and pat them dry with paper towels. Zest one lemon, then slice it. You’ll use the zest, slices, and juice for different steps. Mince the garlic cloves and chop the herbs, if using.
Season the Salmon:
Drizzle the salmon fillets with olive oil on both sides. Season them with salt, pepper, lemon zest, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using). Place 1-2 lemon slices on top of each fillet.
Instant Pot Setup:
Pour the chicken or vegetable broth into the Instant Pot. The liquid is essential for generating steam to pressure cook.
Place the trivet (which typically comes with the Instant Pot) inside the pot. This will elevate the salmon above the liquid and ensure it steams rather than boils.
Add the Salmon:
Arrange the salmon fillets on the trivet. Ensure they are in a single layer and not overlapping too much.
Secure the Instant Pot’s lid. Ensure the pressure release valve is set to the “Sealing” position.
Set the Instant Pot to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” on high pressure for 3-4 minutes. (The exact time may vary depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets. Thicker fillets might require an additional minute.)
Natural Pressure Release:
Once the cooking cycle is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 5 minutes. After that, carefully turn the release valve to “Venting” to release any remaining pressure.
Carefully open the Instant Pot lid. Using a spatula, lift the salmon fillets out of the pot and transfer them to serving plates.
Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped herbs if desired. Remove the cooked lemon slices from the top of the salmon before eating, or leave them for presentation.
Serve the lemon salmon with your favorite side dishes, and enjoy!
Pro Tips For Cooking Salmon In Instant Pot
Cooking salmon in the Instant Pot is a breeze, but a few pro tips can help elevate your dish and ensure perfect results every time:
- Salmon Thickness Matters: The thicker your salmon fillet, the longer it will need to cook. For instance, a 1-inch thick fillet might need 3-4 minutes on high pressure, but a 1.5-inch thick fillet might need 5 minutes. Adjust accordingly.
- Natural Release: Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for at least 5 minutes before doing a quick release. This step ensures that the salmon remains moist and prevents it from becoming overcooked.
- Skin On vs. Skin Off: While you can cook salmon with either skin on or off, retaining the skin can help keep the fillet intact and provide a slight barrier from the direct heat.
- Broth for Flavor: Instead of just using water, opt for broth. Vegetables, chicken, or even a seafood broth can add a layer of flavor to the salmon.
- Quick Sauce: After cooking, flavorful liquid will be left in the Instant Pot. To make a quick sauce, set the Instant Pot to the “Sauté” mode, add a dab of butter, cream, or some white wine, and reduce the liquid. Drizzle this over the cooked salmon.
- Fresh Herbs at the End: If you use delicate herbs like dill, chives, or parsley, consider adding them after the salmon has cooked. This preserves the herb’s fresh flavor and vibrant color.
- Check for Doneness: Salmon should flake easily with a fork when it’s done. If you prefer your salmon medium or even medium-rare, you’ll want to reduce the cooking time slightly.
- Avoid Overcrowding: If you’re cooking multiple fillets, ensure they are in a single layer and not overlapping too much. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking.
- Add Aromatics: Enhance the flavor further by adding aromatics like sliced onions, lemongrass, ginger, or bay leaves to the broth.
- Frozen Salmon: If you’re starting with frozen salmon, you can still cook it in the Instant Pot. Just add an additional 2-3 minutes to the cooking time. Ensure the salmon is separated and not frozen in a thick block for even cooking.
By following these pro tips, you can maximize the flavor and texture of your salmon, turning a simple dish into a gourmet meal. The Instant Pot offers a quick and efficient way to cook salmon, and with a bit of know-how, you can ensure perfect results every time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Cooking Salmon in an Instant Pot:
Can I cook frozen salmon in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook frozen salmon directly in the Instant Pot. Add an additional 2-3 minutes to the cooking time, and ensure the fillets are not stuck together in a block for even cooking.
Do I need to use the trivet in the Instant Pot when cooking salmon?
Yes, it’s recommended to use the trivet. It keeps the salmon elevated above the liquid, ensuring it steams rather than boils, preserving the salmon’s texture and flavor.
How do I prevent my salmon from becoming dry or overcooked?
Be mindful of the thickness of the fillet when setting the cooking time. Always allow for natural pressure release for at least 5 minutes before quick releasing. This helps in keeping the salmon moist.
Can I use other liquids besides broth for cooking salmon in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! While broth adds flavor, you can also use water, white wine, or a combination. Adding aromatics or citrus slices to the liquid can infuse additional flavors.
How do I know when the salmon is fully cooked?
Salmon should be opaque and flake easily with a fork when it’s done. For those who prefer salmon medium or medium-rare, the inside should be slightly translucent.
Can I cook other types of fish in the Instant Pot using this method?
Yes, this method can be adapted for other fish. However, cooking times may vary based on the type and thickness of the fish.
Can I add vegetables to the Instant Pot when cooking salmon?
Yes, you can add quick-cooking vegetables like asparagus, green beans, or bell pepper strips. Place them on top or around the salmon fillets to steam alongside.
How should I store leftover salmon?
Store any leftover salmon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. It’s best enjoyed when fresh, but leftovers can be gently reheated.
Is there a risk of over-pressurizing the Instant Pot with fish since it cooks quickly?
No, the Instant Pot is designed with safety mechanisms to prevent over-pressurization. Just ensure you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommended fill levels.
Can I marinate the salmon before cooking it in the Instant Pot
Yes, marinating the salmon can add additional flavor. However, since the Instant Pot cooks under pressure, the flavors intensify, so it’s best to use light and balanced marinades to avoid overpowering the fish.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Lemon Salmon
- 2-4 salmon fillets
- 1-2 lemons, for zest, slices, and juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken , or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- A small bunch of fresh herbs, dill, parsley, or chives, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Rinse the salmon fillets and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Zest one lemon, then slice it. You’ll use the zest, slices, and juice for different steps.
- Mince the garlic cloves and chop the herbs, if using.
- Drizzle the salmon fillets with olive oil on both sides. Season them with salt, pepper, lemon zest, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Place 1-2 lemon slices on top of each fillet.
- Pour the chicken or vegetable broth into the Instant Pot. The liquid is essential for generating steam to pressure cook.
- Place the trivet (which typically comes with the Instant Pot) inside the pot. This will elevate the salmon above the liquid and ensure it steams rather than boils.
- Arrange the salmon fillets on the trivet. Ensure they are in a single layer and not overlapping too much.
- Secure the Instant Pot’s lid. Ensure the pressure release valve is set to the “Sealing” position.
- Set the Instant Pot to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” on high pressure for 3-4 minutes. (The exact time may vary depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets. Thicker fillets might require an additional minute.)
- Once the cooking cycle is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 5 minutes. After that, carefully turn the release valve to “Venting” to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot lid. Using a spatula, lift the salmon fillets out of the pot and transfer them to serving plates.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped herbs if desired. Remove the cooked lemon slices from the top of the salmon before eating, or you can leave them for presentation.
- Serve the lemon salmon with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
- Instant Pot, Or Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker