Instant Pot Chicken and Rice –Introducing a delicious and convenient meal that will become a family favorite: Instant Pot Chicken and Rice!
With the magic of your Instant Pot, you can create a hearty and flavorful dish in a fraction of the time it would take using traditional methods. Imagine tender, juicy chicken nestled in a bed of perfectly cooked rice infused with aromatic spices and herbs.
Whether you’re a busy weeknight cook or simply looking for a comforting meal that’s easy to prepare, this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is your answer. Stay tuned for the full recipe, and get ready to enjoy a satisfying and hassle-free dinner.
If you are looking for some other Easy Instant Pot Meals or one-pot meal recipes, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, INSTANT POT KOREAN BEEF SHORT RIBS, NINJA FOODI SOUTHWESTERN CHILI, and INSTANT POT BACON CARBONARA.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
These simple ingredients combine to create a flavorful and satisfying Instant Pot Chicken and Rice dish that’s easy to prepare and delightful to savor. This recipe makes for the ultimate comfort food that the whole family will love
Remember the step-by-step instructions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs to provide rich flavor and tenderness, infusing the rice with their juices.
- Rice: Long-grain white rice forms the base of this meal, absorbing the savory chicken broth and aromatic seasonings.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth serves as the cooking liquid, infusing the rice and chicken with a savory and comforting taste.
- Onion: Chopped onions add a sweet and savory flavor to the dish as they cook alongside the chicken and rice.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves provide a fragrant and aromatic element, enhancing the overall taste profile.
- Seasonings: A blend of paprika, thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaves imparts a flavorful and well-balanced seasoning.
- Bell Pepper: Sliced bell peppers not only contribute a pop of color but also add a mild sweetness and crunch.
- Peas and Carrots: Frozen peas and carrots introduce a burst of color and a subtle sweetness to the dish, creating a balanced and nutritious meal.
- Lemon Zest: Lemon zest adds a zesty and citrusy note, brightening up the flavors of the chicken and rice.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: These essential seasonings enhance the overall taste and bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Olive Oil: A drizzle of olive oil helps sauté the chicken and vegetables, enhancing their flavor and preventing sticking.
- Fresh Herbs (Optional): Fresh parsley or cilantro can be used as a garnish for a burst of freshness and color.
- Lemon Wedges (Optional): Serving with lemon wedges allows diners to add a touch of citrusy brightness to their individual portions.
How To Make Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Enjoy your homemade Instant Pot Chicken and Rice, a tasty and hassle-free meal perfect for any night of the week!
Sauté the Chicken: Set your Instant Pot to sauté setting and add olive oil to the bottom of the pot, inner pot. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. Sauté the chicken in the Instant Pot, skin-side down, until it turns golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Sauté the Vegetables: In the same pot, add chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and translucent.
Add Seasonings: Stir in the dried thyme, oregano, bay leaves, and lemon zest. Sauté for another minute to release the flavors.
Rinse Rice: Rinse the white rice thoroughly under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch, preventing the rice from becoming overly sticky.
Combine Rice and Broth: Add the rinsed rice to the Instant Pot and stir it into the onion and spice mixture. Pour in the chicken broth, and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Place Chicken Back In Return the sautéed chicken thighs to the pot, nestling them into the rice mixture.
Add Bell Pepper and Frozen Vegetables: Scatter the sliced bell pepper and frozen peas and carrots over the top.
Pressure Cook: Close the Instant Pot lid, ensuring the valve is set to “Sealing position.” Select the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” setting and set the pressure cooking time for 6-7 minutes on high pressure.
Natural Release: Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow for a natural pressure release for about 10 minutes. After that, carefully switch the valve to “Venting” and do a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
Serve: Open the Instant Pot, remove the bay leaves, and discard them. Serve the chicken and rice hot, garnished with shredded cheese or fresh herbs if desired, and with lemon wedges on the side for extra flavor.
Here are several delicious variations you can explore for Instant Pot Chicken and Rice. Here are a few ideas to inspire your culinary creativity: They all make ingredients easy for a weeknight meal.
- Chicken and Wild Rice: Replace the white rice with wild rice for a nuttier and heartier texture. Adjust the cooking time and liquid accordingly since wild rice typically requires more cooking time.
- Spicy Cajun Chicken and Rice: Add Cajun seasoning and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. Sauté some diced Andouille sausage along with the vegetables for extra flavor.
- Mediterranean-Inspired Chicken and Rice: Use basmati rice and add Mediterranean spices like oregano, basil, and cinnamon. Include chopped Kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes for a Mediterranean twist.
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Rice: Substitute coconut milk for a portion of the chicken broth, and mix in curry powder or paste for a creamy and aromatic curry chicken and rice dish.
- Teriyaki Chicken and Rice: Create a homemade teriyaki sauce by combining soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. Add this sauce to the chicken and rice mixture for a flavorful Asian-inspired meal.
- Lemon Herb Chicken and Rice: Infuse the dish with even more citrusy goodness by adding lemon juice to the broth. Incorporate fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or dill for a refreshing twist.
- Spanish Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo): Use saffron or turmeric to give the rice a beautiful golden color and a hint of Spanish flavor. Add bell peppers, green peas, and sautéed chorizo for an authentic touch.
- Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice: Season the chicken with Greek seasoning and serve with a side of Tzatziki sauce. Accompany it with Greek salad and olives for a complete Mediterranean experience.
- Asian Ginger Garlic Chicken and Rice: Infuse the dish with ginger and garlic flavors by adding minced ginger and extra garlic cloves. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Hawaiian Chicken and Pineapple Rice: Add pineapple chunks to the rice mixture and season the chicken with a sweet and tangy teriyaki sauce. This tropical twist is both savory and refreshing.
Feel free to customize your Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe to suit your taste preferences and dietary restrictions. With these variations, you can enjoy a diverse range of flavors while still benefiting from the convenience of your Instant Pot.
Pro Tips For Cooking Chicken and Rice In Instant Pot
Cooking chicken and rice in an Instant Pot can be a convenient and flavorful experience. Here are some pro tips to ensure your dish turns out perfectly:
- Sear the Chicken: For extra flavor, sear the chicken thighs before pressure cooking. Use the “Sauté” function to brown them on both sides until they develop a golden crust.
- Rinse the Rice: Always rinse your rice before adding it to the Instant Pot. Rinsing removes excess starch, preventing the rice from becoming overly sticky.
- Use the Right Rice-to-Liquid Ratio: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the recommended rice-to-liquid ratio for your specific type of rice. Typically, it’s around 1:1.25 for white rice. Adjust accordingly for other types of rice, like brown rice or wild rice.
- Flavor the Liquid: Add extra flavor to the dish using chicken broth or stock instead of plain water. Mix seasonings, herbs, or spices directly into the liquid for an aromatic boost.
- Layer Ingredients Properly: When layering ingredients, place the chicken at the bottom of the Instant Pot, followed by rice, vegetables, and seasonings. This helps prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Natural Pressure Release: After the cooking cycle, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural pressure release for a few minutes. This prevents the rice from becoming mushy.
- Adjust Cooking Times: Cooking times may vary slightly depending on the size and thickness of your chicken thighs and the type of rice you’re using. Be prepared to adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Check for Doneness: Before serving, ensure the chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Use a meat thermometer to check the thickest part of the chicken.
- Fluff the Rice: After releasing pressure, let the dish rest for a few minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains and distribute the flavors evenly.
- Garnish Creatively: Garnish your Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice, or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese for an extra layer of flavor.
- Customize to Your Taste: Customize the recipe with your favorite spices, herbs, or vegetables. Experiment with different ingredients to create your signature dish.
By following these pro tips, you’ll master the art of cooking chicken and rice in your Instant Pot, ensuring a delicious and hassle-free meal every time.
Can I use different types of rice for Instant Pot Chicken and Rice?
Yes, you can use different types of rice, such as long-grain, white jasmine rice, basmati, or brown rice. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and liquid ratios accordingly, as different rice varieties may require different cooking times.
Can I use boneless, skinless chicken instead of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or even chicken breasts if you prefer. Adjust the cook time to ensure the chicken is cooked through but not overcooked and dry.
How do I prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot?
To prevent the rice from sticking, rinse it thoroughly before adding it to the Instant Pot. Also, when layering ingredients, place the chicken at the bottom and the rice on top to create a barrier.
Can I add vegetables of my choice to this dish?
Absolutely! You can customize the recipe by adding bell peppers, green beans, peas, carrots, or broccoli. Just be mindful of the cooking time needed for the specific vegetables you choose.
Can I use chicken stock instead of chicken broth for more flavor?
Yes, using chicken stock instead of broth can add even more flavor to your dish. It’s a great way to enhance the overall taste.
What should I do if the rice turns out too mushy or dry?
If the rice is too mushy, reduce the cooking time slightly in your next attempt. If it’s too dry, you can increase the liquid amount or decrease the cooking time.
How long can I keep leftover Instant Pot Chicken and Rice in the refrigerator?
Leftover Instant Pot Chicken and Rice can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
Can I freeze leftover Instant Pot Chicken and Rice?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers. Please place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and label them with the date. Frozen leftovers can typically be kept for 2-3 months.
Can I reheat the leftovers in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can reheat leftovers in the Instant Pot on the “Sauté” mode or by using the “Keep Warm” function. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop.
What are some creative ways to repurpose leftover Instant Pot Chicken and Rice?– Leftover Chicken and Rice can be used in various ways, such as fried chicken rice, burritos, wraps, or casseroles. Get creative with your leftovers!
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock, or chicken stock
- First, cut your chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Then season both sides of the chicken.
- Then pour the olive oil into your Instant Pot and press the saute button. Wait for a minute until the oil is heated, and then add your seasoned chicken.
- Saute the chicken until it starts to change color to show that it’s cooking. It will not be cooked through. You are really just trying to get a nice outside on the chicken.
- Then add the onion and garlic, cooking for about 3-4 minutes, or until the onion shows that it’s started to wilt.
- Add the chicken broth, peas, pepper, and rice mix well.
- Then add the lid to the Instant Pot.
- Set the time for 10 minutes on manual high pressure.
- Make sure the vent is sealed.
- Let it naturally release, mix everything together, and plate to serve.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, or Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker