Blackstone Brats — If you have been looking for the perfect way to cook Brast, look no further than your Blackstone Griddle. Perfectly grilled and served with some sliced bell peppers and onion, you have yourself the best meal!
Cooking brats on a Blackstone griddle is a surefire way to achieve perfectly juicy and flavorful sausages with a delectably crispy exterior. This is one of the easiest weeknight meals, and it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser; made with simple ingredients, you can make these Polish sausages in minutes!
Can You Cook Brats On A Blackstone Griddle?
Yes, you can cook brats on a Blackstone griddle. Cooking brats on a griddle can be a fantastic way to achieve a delicious, evenly cooked result. Here’s a simple guide to cooking brats on a Blackstone griddle.
Your taste buds will thank you; there is nothing better for meal prep or for an easy recipe for making brats on your flat-top grill. If you have been looking for easy meals for your next camping trip, look no further than this recipe for juicy brats.
Ingredients Needed For Blackstone Brats
These ingredients can be customized to suit your preferences, and you can get creative with your choice of toppings and condiments to create the perfect bratwurst experience.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Uncooked Brats: Bratwurst sausages are the dish’s star, typically made from pork, veal, or a combination of meats seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. They’re known for their savory flavor and juicy texture. You can purchase raw brats at your local butcher shop or grocery store.
- Cooking Oil or Butter: Cooking oil or butter prevents the brats from sticking to the griddle and adds a rich, buttery flavor to the sausages as they cook.
- Buns (Optional): You’ll need buns to make bratwurst sandwiches. Soft, fresh buns are ideal for holding brats, toppings, or condiments.
- Toppings and Condiments (Optional): Toppings and condiments can include a variety of choices such as sauerkraut, hot mustard, ketchup, white onions, garlic powder, red onion, green bell pepper, pickles, and more. These elements add flavor and texture to your bratwurst sandwiches.
How To Cook Brats On Blackstone Griddle
Cooking brats on a Blackstone griddle is a simple and flavorful process that results in deliciously juicy sausages with a crispy exterior. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Preheat the Griddle: Begin by preheating your Blackstone griddle surface to medium-high heat. Ensure that the entire cooking surface is evenly heated.
Olive Oil or Butter: To prevent sticking and add flavor, lightly oil the griddle’s cooking surface or melt a small amount of butter.
Place the Brats: Carefully place the bratwurst sausages on the hot griddle. Make sure they are evenly spaced and not overcrowded to allow for even cooking.
Cook the Brats: Set cooking time for 15-20 minutes, turning them occasionally with a spatula or tongs. This helps ensure that all sides are evenly browned. You can also roll them gently to achieve an even color.
Check for Doneness: To ensure the brats are fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check their internal temperature. They should reach 160 degrees F (71°C). This ensures they are safe to eat.
Optional: Steam or Simmer: For added flavor and juiciness, you can add a splash of liquid (e.g., beer, broth, or water) to the griddle and cover it with a lid for a few minutes after the brats are fully cooked. This step is optional but can enhance the flavor.
Serving: Once the brats are cooked to perfection, you can serve them on buns (if making sandwiches) and add your favorite toppings, your favorite seasoning, and condiments. Grilled onions and peppers can be excellent choices.
Enjoy: Serve your Blackstone griddled brats hot and enjoy the delicious, crispy exterior and juicy interior.
Remember that cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the brats and the specific temperature of your griddle, so keep a close eye on them to avoid overcooking. Cooking brats on a Blackstone griddle allows for even cooking and a wonderful caramelized exterior, making them a flavorful and popular choice for outdoor cooking enthusiasts.
Pro Tips For Cooking Brats On Blackstone Griddle
Here are some pro tips to help you achieve the best results when cooking brats on a Blackstone griddle:
- Prick the Brats: Before cooking, lightly prick the brats with a fork or make small slits with a knife. This helps release some of the internal juices, preventing the sausages from bursting while cooking and ensuring a juicier result. You can leave the brat casing on for easy grilling.
- Simmer in Beer: For added flavor, you can simmer the brats in beer before griddling them. Place the sausages in a pan, pour beer, and bring it to a simmer. Let them simmer for 10-15 minutes, then transfer them to the griddle for a nice sear. There is nothing better than beer brats.
- Use Direct and Indirect Heat: If your Blackstone griddle has multiple burners, use one side for direct heat and the other for indirect heat. Start by searing the brats over medium heat to get a nice char, and then move them to indirect heat to finish cooking. This prevents flare-ups and allows for even cooking.
- Keep Them Moist: While griddling, add a small amount of beer or water to the griddle around the brats to create steam. This helps keep the sausages moist and flavorful.
- Baste with Butter: During cooking, you can baste the brats with melted butter or beer for added flavor and a glossy finish. This also prevents them from drying out.
- Don’t Overcook: Overcooking can lead to dry and tough brats. Use a meat thermometer to ensure they reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C), but avoid cooking them beyond this point.
- Toast the Buns: If you’re making sandwiches, don’t forget to toast the buns on the griddle for a few seconds. It adds a delicious crunch and helps prevent them from getting soggy.
- Experiment with Toppings: Get creative with toppings and condiments. Classic choices like sauerkraut, mustard, and onions work great, but don’t be afraid to try something new, like grilled peppers or gourmet sauces.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the brats to rest for a few minutes after cooking. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a juicier bite.
- Serve with a Side: Brats go wonderfully with sides like coleslaw, potato salad, or baked beans. These sides complement the flavors of the sausages and create a well-rounded meal the whole family will love.
Following these pro tips, you’ll be able to create mouthwatering brats on your Blackstone griddle that are bursting with flavor and have the perfect balance of crispy exterior and juicy interior.
FAQ’s Blackstone Grill Brats
What is a Blackstone griddle?
A Blackstone griddle is a type of outdoor cooking appliance known for its flat, solid cooking surface made of steel. It is designed for cooking a wide variety of foods, including burgers, steaks, pancakes, vegetables, and more. Blackstone griddles are popular for their versatility and ease of use. It’s a great flat-top grill.
What sizes do Blackstone griddles come in?
Blackstone griddles are available in various sizes, with the most common sizes being 17 inches, 22 inches, 28 inches, 36 inches, and 36 inches with a hood. The size you choose depends on your cooking needs and available outdoor space.
How do I season a Blackstone griddle?
Seasoning a Blackstone griddle involves coating the cooking surface with a layer of oil and heating it to create a non-stick and rust-resistant surface. To season, follow these steps:
Heat the griddle on high. Apply a thin layer of cooking oil or a dedicated griddle seasoning product. Spread the cooking oil evenly with a griddle brush or cloth. Let the griddle cool down, and repeat the process several times until the surface is well-seasoned.
Can I use a Blackstone griddle indoors?
Blackstone griddles are primarily designed for outdoor use due to the use of propane or natural gas as a heat source. Using them indoors can be unsafe unless you have proper ventilation and follow safety guidelines. There are electric griddles designed for indoor use as an alternative.
How do I clean a Blackstone griddle?
Cleaning a Blackstone griddle involves scraping off food residue and then using a griddle cleaning kit or tools, including a griddle scraper and griddle stone, to remove any stubborn stains. After cleaning, reapply a thin layer of oil to maintain the seasoning.
Can I cook breakfast foods on a Blackstone griddle?
Yes, Blackstone griddles are excellent for cooking breakfast foods like pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage. The large, flat cooking surface provides even heat distribution, making it ideal for these dishes.
Are Blackstone griddles portable?
Some Blackstone griddles are designed to be portable and come with features like foldable legs and wheels, making them easy to transport. However, the larger models may be less portable due to their size and weight.
Can I cook delicate foods like fish on a Blackstone griddle?
Yes, you can cook delicate foods on a Blackstone griddle, but it’s essential to use a grill mat or aluminum foil to prevent them from sticking to the surface. Delicate items like fish can be easily flipped and cooked evenly on the griddle.
More Blackstone Griddle Recipes
- Blackstone Pork Chops
- Easy Blackstone Hot Dogs
- Blackstone Green Beans
- BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE FROZEN FRENCH FRIES
- BLACKSTONE SIRLOIN STEAK RECIPE
- EASY BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE SCRAMBLED EGGS
- BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE SAUSAGE PATTIES
- BLACKSTONE CHICKEN STIR FRY
- EASY BLACKSTONE FRIED EGGS RECIPE
- BLACKSTONE CHEX PARTY MIX
- BLACKSTONE APPLE CIDER DONUTS
Blackstone Griddled Brats
- 1 pound Bratwurst sausages
- Cooking oil or butter
- 8 hoagie Buns, optional
- Toppings and condiments, e.g., sauerkraut, mustard, onions, peppers
- Preheat your Blackstone griddle to medium-high heat. Ensure that the entire cooking surface is evenly heated.
- Lightly oil the griddle’s cooking surface or melt a small amount of butter to prevent sticking and add flavor.
- Carefully place the bratwurst sausages on the hot griddle. Make sure they are evenly spaced and not overcrowded for even cooking.
- Cook the brats for about 15-20 minutes, turning them occasionally with a spatula or tongs. Ensure all sides are evenly browned.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the brats. They should reach 160°F (71°C).
- For added flavor and juiciness, you can add a splash of liquid (e.g., beer, broth, or water) to the griddle and cover it with a lid for a few minutes after the brats are fully cooked. This step is optional but enhances flavor.
- Once the brats are cooked to perfection, serve them on buns (if making sandwiches) and add your favorite toppings and condiments. Grilled onions and peppers can be excellent choices.
- Serve your Blackstone griddled brats hot and enjoy the delicious, crispy exterior and juicy interior.
- Blackstone Griddle
- Cooking Oil
- Prick the brats lightly before cooking to prevent bursting.
- Consider simmering the brats in beer for extra flavor.
- Use direct and indirect heat for even cooking.
- Baste with butter or beer for added flavor.
- Toast the buns for sandwiches.
- Allow the brats to rest before serving.