Do you love Thai food but wish it didn’t require so much time in the kitchen? Well, these Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings are perfect for you! They can be made and cooked in less than an hour.
It’s football season, and we all know what that means! Watching games, cheering with friends, and of course – eating wings. But this year could be a little different because you might want to try something new. Air fryers are the newest trend in cooking, so why not use them for your next meal? These Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings take only minutes to cook and give you a crispy outside with a sweet chili sauce on the inside. You won’t regret trying these out!
Are you looking for a healthier alternative to deep-frying? These Air Fryer Chicken Wings are the perfect solution. They are easy to prepare, have less mess, and taste just as good as fried chicken!
We all love to snack on chicken wings, but what if I told you that air fryer chicken wings are the perfect option for an easy weeknight meal? What’s better is that you can cook them in less time than oven-fried wings. This blog post will tell you how to cook them and offer some tasty recipes!
If you have been looking for some great Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipes, some of my favorites are Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings, and Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce.
What Are Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings?
Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings are a signature dish of Thai cuisine. They involve cooking the wings and then frying them in a wok with a homemade sweet chili sauce. The result is succulent, crispy chicken that is great for snacking or as an appetizer when you have guests over!
And they are so good! There is nothing better than a hot plate of fresh wings!
Ingredients Needed For The Best Thai Chili Wings
Craving a zesty kick in your culinary endeavors? Look no further than Thai Chili Wings! A harmonious blend of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors, these wings promise an unforgettable gastronomic journey straight to the heart of Thai cuisine. But, to achieve that impeccable balance of taste and texture, you’ll need the right ingredients. Whether you’re a wing aficionado or a newcomer to this spicy delight, here’s a comprehensive list of the essential ingredients you’ll need to prepare the most tantalizing Thai Chili Wings. Dive in and let your taste buds take flight!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingrdenti list are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken Wings: The star of the dish, chicken wings provide a juicy and tender meat base that crisps beautifully when cooked.
- Lemongrass: A fragrant herb, lemongrass infuses the wings with a light citrusy flavor, common in Thai dishes.
- Fish Sauce: Salty and pungent fish sauce adds depth and authenticity to the marinade, elevating the umami profile.
- Soy Sauce: Enhances the savory notes of the wings and offers a beautiful golden-brown hue when cooked.
- Brown Sugar: Balancing the savory with sweetness, brown sugar also helps caramelize the wings to perfection.
- Garlic: Minced or pressed, garlic brings a pungent, aromatic touch that’s essential to the richness of the dish.
- Red Chili Peppers: Fresh or dried, these peppers impart a spicy kick, setting the signature heat level of Thai chili wings.
- Lime Zest and Juice: Lending a tangy zestiness, lime works to cut through the richness and refresh the palate.
- Ginger: Freshly grated ginger introduces a warm, spicy undertone that complements the flavor profile.
- Coriander/Cilantro: Chopped finely, this herb brings a fresh, earthy aroma and vibrant color to the wings.
- Sesame Oil: A dash enhances the richness of the marinade and adds a subtle toasted note to the wings.
- Thai Basil (optional): For garnish or within the marinade, Thai basil introduces a unique anise-like flavor, distinguishing it from other basil varieties.
How To Make Thai Chicken Wings Air Fryer
Ready to embark on a culinary journey to the vibrant streets of Thailand, but with a modern twist? Introducing Thai Chicken Wings made in an Air Fryer – a fusion of traditional flavors meeting contemporary cooking methods. Dive into this guide and discover how the aromatic blend of classic Thai ingredients can be transformed into crispy, tantalizing wings with the magic of air frying. Experience the best of both worlds: authentic Thai taste and the ease of hassle-free cooking. Let’s get those wings soaring!
Mix the chicken ingredients, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F, air fryer setting. Brush the basket with little olive oil and put the chicken wings in it (7-8 per batch)—brush olive oil on the top of the wings. Cook for 10 minutes on one side, then turn the chicken wings and cook for another 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with other chicken wings.
Next, mix all the sauce ingredients, Thai sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, chili flakes, black pepper, minced garlic, Hoisin Sauce, cornstarch, and water. Heat a pan and add the sauce. Mix until the sauce thickens and becomes a little sticky.
Add the air-fried chicken wings and toss them to coat correctly.
Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro and red chili flakes (You can also use sesame seeds and green onions for garnishing).
Can I Double the Recipe?
The answer is yes; you can double the recipe. However, it’s best to have a few tips on how to do so.
1) Follow the original recipe as closely as possible. Double all ingredients.
2) Do not crowd the Air Fryer Basket. Otherwise, they will not cook up properly. For air-frying chicken wings, you really want a single layer. This way, all of the chicken fully cooks up to perfection.
What is the Best Air Fryer?
Do you want to cook your food without the use of oil? Do you want to try air frying but don’t know where to start? There are many different options on the market.
I have a lot of Air Fryers; a couple of my favorites are:
Instant Pot Vortex 4 In 1: Instant Vortex 4-in-1 Basket Air Fryer with 4 Customizable One-Touch Cooking Programs, Digital Touchscreen, Large Non-Stick Fryer Basket, and 6 Quart Capacity, Black
GoWise: GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer with Recipe Book, Black
Can I Bake these in a traditional oven?
Yes, although you will not get the same flavor. To bake this batch of Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings in the oven.
Prepare as directed, place the chicken wings on a greased baking sheet, pop the baking sheet into a preheated oven of 400 degrees F, and bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Flip about halfway during the cooking process, and then transfer them to the skillet to finish the recipe.
How long do chicken wings take in an air fryer?
Depending on your air fryer, it will take 18 to 20 minutes to cook fully.
How To Serve:
Everybody loves a good chicken wing. Whether you’re grilling them up for a party or air frying them in the kitchen, they always seem to be a hit! But how do you serve them?
There are many ways to prepare wings that suit your taste buds and guests. Wings can be fried with butter, baked with sauce, tossed in buffalo sauce, and put straight in the air fryer. The possibilities are endless for serving these tasty treats at any event. So what’s the best way to serve chicken wings? That’s right- it all depends on you!
You can either serve them as an appetizer or snack or make these Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings as part of a dinner or lunch. Some great items that pair well with them are rice, noodles, or a plate of steamed vegetables.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- pound of chicken wings
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder.
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed in 2 tablespoons of water
- ½ cup water
- Mix the chicken ingredients, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 180-degree C / 350-degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Brush the basket with little olive oil and put the chicken wings in it (7-8 per batch)—brush olive oil on the top of the wings.
- Cook for 10 minutes on one side, then turn the chicken wings and cook for another 7-8 minutes or golden brown. Repeat with other chicken wings.
- Next, mix all the sauce ingredients, Thai sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, chili flakes, black pepper, minced garlic, Hoisin Sauce, cornstarch, and water. Heat a pan and add the sauce.
- Mix until the sauce thickens and becomes a little sticky.
- Add the air-fried chicken wings and toss them to coat properly.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro and red chili flakes (You can also use sesame seeds and green onions for garnishing).
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Dry the chicken wings using a paper towel to remove excess liquids.
- Let the cooked chicken rest for about 5 minutes before tossing them in the sauce. Doing so will help the chicken to stay crispy.
Pro Tips For The Best Thai Chicken Wings Air Fryer
Making Thai Chicken Wings in an air fryer can be a delightful experience, and with a few pro tips, you can elevate the flavor, texture, and overall appeal of your dish. Here are some expert suggestions to consider:
- Marinate Longer: For a deeper infusion of flavors, marinate the wings for at least 2 hours, though overnight in the refrigerator is ideal.
- Pat Dry Before Cooking: Moisture can prevent the wings from getting crispy. Always pat them dry after marinating and before placing them in the air fryer.
- Single Layer Placement: Avoid overcrowding. Place wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and maximum crispiness.
- Temperature Check: Invest in a meat thermometer. Chicken wings should reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
- Shake and Rotate: Halfway through cooking, shake the basket or use tongs to turn the wings. This ensures an even golden-brown finish on all sides.
- Use a Spray: If you want extra crispy skin, lightly spray the wings with cooking spray or brush with a bit of oil before air frying.
- Garnish Fresh: Once cooked, garnish with fresh cilantro, Thai basil, and a squeeze of lime to enhance the Thai flavor profile and add a burst of freshness.
- Serve with Dipping Sauce: Complement your wings with Thai sweet chili sauce or a spicy tamarind dip for a more immersive flavor experience.
- Stay Attentive: Air fryers can cook faster than conventional ovens. Keep an eye on your wings, especially the first time you make them, to avoid overcooking.
- Clean Your Air Fryer: Thoroughly clean the air fryer basket after cooking. Leftover grease or bits can burn and produce smoke during your next cooking session.
Remember, mastering the art of air frying takes some practice, but with these pro tips in hand, you’re well on your way to achieving the perfect Thai Chicken Wings. Enjoy your cooking adventure!
FAQ: Thai Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
How long should I marinate the chicken wings?
Ideally, marinate the wings for at least 2 hours. For the best flavor infusion, an overnight marination in the refrigerator is recommended.
What if I don’t have fish sauce? Can I skip it?
Fish sauce provides a distinct Thai flavor. If you don’t have it, you can substitute it with soy sauce, but be mindful that it will slightly alter the taste.
Can I use frozen chicken wings?
Yes, but ensure they are completely thawed and patted dry before marinating and cooking.
What’s the ideal air frying temperature for chicken wings?
Typically, 375°F (190°C) works well for chicken wings, ensuring a crispy exterior while keeping the inside juicy.
My air fryer is small. Can I cook the wings in batches?
Absolutely! If your air fryer is on the smaller side, cook in batches to avoid overcrowding and ensure even cooking.
How do I store leftover Thai Chicken Wings?
Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. For reheating, use the air fryer to retain the crispiness.
I don’t like spicy food. Can I adjust the heat level?
Definitely! Adjust the number of red chili peppers or omit them altogether if you prefer milder wings.
Is there a vegetarian alternative to this recipe?
Yes, you can use cauliflower florets as a substitute for chicken wings. Follow the same marination and cooking process.