If you’re a fan of TGI Friday’s famous Potato Skins but don’t want the hassle or unhealthy oil associated with restaurant fried food – we have just the solution. Today, we’re showing you how to make delicious homemade potato skins in an air fryer! This fool-proof recipe makes these crispy and savory snacks at home easier than ever. So put on your favorite aprons and whip up some flavorful air-fried goodies that won’t disappoint – ready? Let’s get frying!
One of the biggest perks of staying home during quarantine has been rediscovering our love for homemade meals. From comfort food classics to culinary experiments, family dinners are getting a makeover with freshly made dishes. If you want to turn up the flavor and enjoy some fun finger foods without leaving your house, check out this simple but delicious recipe: Air Fryer TGI Friday’s Potato Skins! It’s an easy-to-make dish that packs in all the cheesy goodness in its restaurant counterpart – minus the extra calories and fat. So preheat those air fryers and get ready to bring some classic favorites straight from your own kitchen!
What Are TGI Friday’s Potato Skins?
This post is for you if you’re a fan of crunchy potatoes, creamy cheese, and zesty bacon! TGI Friday’s Potato Skins have become an American staple in their restaurant menu. This dish has been popularized in bars around the country with its unforgettable combination of potato skins filled with melted cheddar cheese and crispy bacon pieces that pack a punch. So let’s dive deep into what makes these potato skins special — their unique flavor profile, how they are prepared, and which ingredient combinations work best. With these simple tips, you’ll be on your way to creating delicious Potato Skins at home that will rival your favorites from TGI Fridays!
These are great appetizers and so much better than frozen skins, and of course, nothing is better than homemade potato skin than our homemade potato skins! They are so good, and I promise they will soon become your favorite appetizer! And, of course, they come right from your air fryer!
This delicious appetizer is such an easy appetizer which is perfect as the hot air circulates around the potato, making for crispy potato skins that the whole family will love!
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Potato Skins
Making your own crispy and savory potato skins at home can be a rewarding experience, providing the perfect addition to any dinner or game-day snack. Not only is it fun to make them yourself, but they are also surprisingly easy with just a few simple ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen cabinets. Here I’ll share tips on picking the right potatoes for optimal taste and texture and what delicious toppings you should add for maximum flavor. Let’s get cooking!
Remember the step-by-step instruction is below in the printable recipe card at the end of the page.
- Potatoes: Use russet potatoes or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Oil: Use olive or coconut oil; any high-heat oil will work. The oil will help crisp the skin up!
- Bacon: Use any of your favorite bacon strips
- Cheese: Use shredded cheddar cheese or cheese sauce
- Seasonings and Spices: Salt, Chili Powder, Black Pepper, and Paprika
- Favorite Toppings: Sour cream, sliced jalapeno peppers, or sliced olives.
How To Make Homemade Loaded Potato Skins In Air Fryer
Step One: Prepare The Bacon
Start by preheating the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 4-5 minutes. Then add the bacon to the air fryer basket, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy!
Step Two: Prepare The Potatoes
Meanwhile, wash potatoes. Add olive oil to a medium mixing bowl. Toss potatoes in olive oil to coat. Then, combine salt, chili powder, and pepper in a ramekin and season potato skins. Pierce potatoes with a fork 2-3 times
Place potatoes into the preheated air fryer and set the cooking time to 30-35 minutes; remove when fork tender.
Step Three: Prepare Your Own Homemade Potato Skins
Let potatoes cool for 10 minutes. Then, cut each potato in half. Use a spoon to scoop out most of the inside, careful to leave enough for the potato skins to hold their shape. You can serve the center of the potatoes as mashed potatoes and serve them with some parmesan cheese for some flavor!
Step Four: Serving
Then preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F and the cook time for 5 minutes. Season the inside of the potato with paprika. Then, Top with cheese and bacon bits. Place back into the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat. Top with sour cream, diced green onions, and/or pico de Gallo.
Pro Tips For The Best TGI Friday’s Potato Skins Recipe
Who doesn’t love TGI Friday’s famous Potato Skins? But why wait for restaurant-quality treats when you can make them in your own kitchen? With these easy-to-follow pro tips, you can create a potato skin dish worthy of any TGI Friday’s menu! Read on to learn how.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Potato Skins
Tired of the same old side dishes to go with your air fryer potato skins? Look no further! Below, I shared some delicious and creative alternatives that satisfy the pickiest eaters. From easy-to-make roasted veggies and crunchy salads to hearty sandwiches and soups – we have something for everyone. So get those potatoes ready because it’s time to take your side dish game up a notch with these fantastic options!
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs
- Air Fryer Frozen Burger
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
How To Make Ahead
These are a perfect appetizer for game day, and the best part is that you can easily make these ahead of time, perfect for football season.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then place each potato skin on the prepared pan. Put the pan in the refrigerator and let it cool completely for about 1-2 hours. Once cooled, wrap each potato skin in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container or zipper bag in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, bake the potato skins on a baking sheet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit in a microwave oven for 15 minutes or until warm. Or place them into the air fryer at 390 degrees F, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
How to Store Leftover Potato Skins
Oftentimes, you have a lot of leftover potato skins when you cook potatoes. The best way to store them is by placing them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and storing them in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for up to three days and stored this way.
How To Freeze
If you want to store the potato skins for longer than three days, you can freeze them. Place the potato skins in an airtight container or resealable bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the potato skins overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat them in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes before serving. This will help retain their crisp.
Some Great Toppings For Air Fryer TGI Friday’s Potato Skins Recipe
TGIF Potato Skins are the perfect way to enjoy a Friday night! Whether you’re just hanging out with friends or hosting a get-together, these potato skins will please everyone at the table. Here are some delicious toppings you can add to your TGIF Potato Skins:
- Bacon Bits – You can’t go wrong with this classic topping! Add a few tablespoons of bacon bits for a smoky and crunchy flavor.
- Cheese – A sprinkle of cheese is the perfect way to tie together all of your toppings. Whether you’re using shredded cheese or slices, the melty texture will make your potato skins extra delicious.
- Sour Cream – A cool dollop of sour cream will create a creamy and tangy contrast to the salty bacon bits and crunchy cheese on top of your potato skins.
- Green Onions – These tasty veggies add a nice flavor and some pretty green color. Add chopped or sliced green onions for a bit of garnish.
- Chili – Spice up your TGIF Potato Skins with some chili! Whether you use canned or homemade, the warm kick will make for a comforting appetizer that everyone will love.
These delicious toppings will take your TGIF Potato Skins to the next level! Experiment and have some fun with your toppings to create the ultimate Friday night snack.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Air Fryer Frozen Potato Skins
Air Fryer TGI Friday’s Potato Skins Recipe
If you’ve never made Potato Skins straight from your air fryer before, now is definitely the time to start. You can create an amazing copycat version of an easy restaurant-style appetizer with simple steps and a few quality ingredients. These Air Fryer TGI Friday’s Potato Skins are healthier than the real thing and just as delicious!
Air Fryer TGI Friday’s Potato Skins Recipe
- 5 large Russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 strips bacon
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons chives, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- Start by preheating the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 4-5 minutes. Then add the bacon to the air fryer basket, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy!
- Meanwhile, wash potatoes. Add olive oil to a medium mixing bowl. Toss potatoes in olive oil to coat. Then, combine salt, chili powder, and pepper in a ramekin and season potato skins. Pierce potatoes with a fork 2-3 times
- Place potatoes into the preheated air fryer and set the cooking time to 30-35 minutes; remove when fork tender.
- Let potatoes cool for 10 minutes. Then, cut each potato in half. Use a spoon to scoop out most of the inside, careful to leave enough for the potato skins to hold their shape. You can serve the center of the potatoes as mashed potatoes and serve them with some parmesan cheese for some flavor!
- Then preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F and the cook time for 5 minutes. Season the inside of the potato with paprika. Then, Top with cheese and bacon bits. Place back into the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Top with sour cream, diced green onions, and/or pico de Gallo.
- Air Fryer