Air Fryer Homemade Mozzarella Sticks — If you have been looking for the perfect fool-proof recipe for making homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks, you are in luck; today’s recipe is amazing.
And better yet, it only takes minutes to cook!
These tasty treats are the perfect way to satisfy your craving for something salty and indulgent without going overboard.
They’re easy to make, incredibly kid-friendly (ideal for parties or snacking on during movie nights), and require just a handful of ingredients. Best of all, they are made with wholesome real cheese!
So dive into this recipe and see what all the fuss is about – we know you won’t be disappointed in these cheesy sticks!
Why We Love This Air Fryer Recipe
There are several reasons to love this Air Fryer recipe for homemade mozzarella sticks:
- Crispy Exterior, Gooey Interior
- Quick and Easy
- Less Mess
- Great for Entertaining
- Consistent Results
Ingredients Needed For Crispy Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
These ingredients combine to create the delectable Air Fryer Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, perfect for snacking, appetizers, or a crowd-pleasing party treat.
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks: Mozzarella cheese sticks serve as the star ingredient, providing that gooey, melty, and cheesy interior characteristic of mozzarella sticks.
- All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour is used for coating the cheese sticks, helping the breading adhere to the cheese, and creating a crispy exterior when air-fried.
- Eggs: Eggs are beaten to create an egg wash, which is used to coat the cheese sticks before breading to help the breading stick.
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs, often seasoned with herbs and spices, form the crispy outer layer of the mozzarella sticks.
- Italian Seasoning: Italian seasoning is added to the breadcrumbs for flavor, infusing the mozzarella sticks with classic Italian herbs like basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is used to season the breadcrumbs, providing a subtle garlic aroma and flavor to enhance the overall taste.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: Salt and pepper are added to taste, enhancing the flavor of the breading and the cheese.
- Cooking Spray: Cooking spray is used to lightly coat the mozzarella sticks before air frying lightly, helping them achieve a golden-brown and crispy texture.
How To Cook Homemade Mozzarella Sticks In Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy snack that can be made in no time, homemade mozzarella sticks are the perfect way to go! Crispy on the outside and melty-gooey on the inside, this classic appetizer will surely please everyone around your kitchen table. Plus, when you make them with an air fryer, they’ll be cooked much faster than traditional deep-fried cheese sticks.
Below, we’ll walk you through all of the steps needed to create your own batch of fresh, delicious mozzarella sticks from scratch — we guarantee that once you try making these at home, there’s no turning back!
Step One: Prepare the Breading Station
Set up a breading station with three shallow bowls.
- In the first shallow bowl, place the all-purpose flour.
- In the second bowl, beat the eggs to create an egg wash.
- In the third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix the seasoning into the breadcrumbs thoroughly.
Step Two: Coat the Mozzarella Sticks
Take a mozzarella cheese stick and dip it into the flour, ensuring it’s lightly coated. Shake off any excess flour.
Next, dip the flour-coated cheese stick into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s fully coated.
Finally, roll the cheese stick in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the breadcrumbs to the cheese. Ensure it’s evenly coated.
Step Three: Freeze
As you coat the mozzarella sticks, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours or until solid.
Repeat for Double Coating (Optional):
For best results, coat the frozen mozzarella sticks. Repeat dipping the frozen cheese sticks into the egg wash and breadcrumbs, and set into the freezer for another 1-2 hours.
Step Four: Prep for Air Frying
Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for 3-5 minutes. Lightly spray the breaded mozzarella sticks with olive oil spray. This helps them achieve a golden-brown and crispy texture in the air fryer.
Step Five: Air Fry The Mozzarella Sticks
Place the breaded mozzarella sticks in a single layer in the preheated air fryer basket or air fryer tray, leaving space between them for proper air circulation.
Air fry at 375 degrees F (190°C) with a cook time of 6-8 minutes, or until the mozzarella sticks are golden brown and the cheese inside is melted. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on your air fryer model, so keep an eye on them.
Carefully remove the mozzarella sticks from the air fryer and let them cool for a minute or two. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or favorite marinara sauce.
While classic mozzarella sticks are always a hit, you can get creative and experiment with different variations to suit your taste preferences. Here are some recipe variations for Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks:
- Jalapeño Popper Mozzarella Sticks: Add a slice of pickled jalapeño inside each mozzarella stick before breading. This adds a spicy kick to the classic mozzarella stick.
- Bacon-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks: Wrap each mozzarella stick with a slice of bacon before breading. The combination of crispy bacon and gooey cheese is irresistible.
- Pesto Mozzarella Sticks: Spread a thin layer of basil pesto on the mozzarella sticks before breading. This adds a burst of fresh flavor to each bite.
- Buffalo Mozzarella Sticks: Toss the mozzarella sticks in buffalo sauce before breading for a spicy and tangy twist. Serve with blue cheese dressing for dipping.
- Mushroom and Swiss Mozzarella Sticks: Sauté finely chopped mushrooms and Swiss cheese together, then use this mixture as the filling for your mozzarella sticks.
- Dipping Sauces: Experiment with dipping sauces like barbecue sauce, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, warm marinara sauce, or a sweet chili sauce for a unique flavor experience.
- Gluten-Free or Low-Carb Mozzarella Sticks: Use almond flour or crushed pork rinds instead of traditional bread crumbs for a gluten-free or low-carb version of mozzarella sticks. Seasoned panko breadcrumbs are a great and easy way to add more flavor.
Remember to follow the same breading and air-frying process as the classic mozzarella sticks while incorporating these variations. These creative twists can turn your mozzarella sticks into a variety of delicious appetizers or snacks that cater to different tastes. Enjoy experimenting with these flavor combinations!
To make the best Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks, consider these pro tips for a perfect result:
- Freeze the Cheese: Before breading and air frying, freeze the mozzarella sticks for at least 30 minutes. This helps the cheese hold its shape during cooking, preventing excessive melting and oozing.
- Double Coating: For an extra crispy and secure coating, double dipping the cheese sticks in the egg wash and breadcrumbs. After the first coating, dip them in the egg and breadcrumbs again before air frying.
- Use Parchment Paper: Placing a piece of parchment paper or a silicone liner in the air fryer basket can help prevent any cheese leakage from sticking to the basket, making cleanup easier.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Always preheat your air fryer as directed in the recipe. This ensures that the mozzarella sticks start cooking immediately, resulting in a crispy exterior.
- Don’t Overcrowd: Arrange the mozzarella sticks in a single layer with some space between them in the air fryer basket. Overcrowding can hinder proper air circulation, leading to uneven cooking.
- Spray with Cooking Oil: Lightly spray the breaded mozzarella sticks with cooking spray before air frying. This promotes even browning and crispiness.
- Check the Timing: Keep a close eye on the mozzarella sticks, as cooking times can vary slightly depending on your air fryer model. They’re done when they turn golden brown, and the cheese inside is melted.
- Serve Promptly: Mozzarella sticks are best enjoyed immediately while still warm, and the cheese is gooey. Be cautious, though, as they can be very hot from the air fryer.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be well on your way to making perfectly crispy and cheesy Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks that will surely be a hit with your family and friends.
How To Reheat, Freeze, and Store Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Reheating, freezing, and storing Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks can help you enjoy them later or reduce waste. Here’s how to do it:
Reheating Mozzarella Sticks:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes.
- Place the frozen or refrigerated mozzarella sticks in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving some space between them.
- Air fry for 3-5 minutes, checking periodically until they are heated through, and the exterior is crispy. The exact time may vary depending on whether they are frozen or refrigerated.
- Remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for a minute or two before serving. Enjoy!
Freezing Mozzarella Sticks:
- After breading your mozzarella sticks, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze the sticks for about 1-2 hours or until they are firm and solid.
- Once frozen, transfer the mozzarella sticks to a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag. Be sure to label and date them.
- Mozzarella sticks can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Reheating Frozen Mozzarella Sticks:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
- Place the frozen mozzarella sticks in the preheated air fryer basket, ensuring they are in a single layer and not overcrowded.
- Air fry with a cooking time of 5-8 minutes or until they are heated through, and the exterior is crispy. Check them periodically.
- Remove from the air fryer and let them cool for a minute before serving.
Storing Mozzarella Sticks:
- If you have leftover mozzarella sticks that you’d like to store in the refrigerator, place them in an airtight container.
- They can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Remember that mozzarella sticks are best enjoyed fresh from the air fryer, as their texture may change slightly after freezing and reheating. However, these methods allow you to enjoy them at your convenience while maintaining their deliciousness.
FAQ’s Easy Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Can I use different types of cheese for mozzarella sticks?
While mozzarella is the classic choice for mozzarella sticks, you can experiment with other cheese varieties, such as cheddar, provolone, or pepper jack, to create different flavor profiles.
Can I make mozzarella sticks in advance and reheat them?
While mozzarella sticks are best enjoyed fresh out of the air fryer, you can reheat them in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F or 175°C) for a few minutes to maintain their crispy texture.
How do I prevent the cheese from oozing out during cooking?
Freezing the mozzarella sticks before breading and air frying helps prevent excessive cheese leakage. It’s essential to ensure the cheese sticks are well-sealed with the breading.
Can I use gluten-free breadcrumbs or flour for a gluten-free version?
Yes, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs and flour to make gluten-free mozzarella sticks. Ensure all ingredients, including the breadcrumbs and flour, are labeled gluten-free.
Do I need to use an egg wash for breading?
An egg wash helps the breading adhere to the cheese sticks and creates a crispy texture. However, you can use alternatives like buttermilk or a mixture of milk and cornstarch.
Can I make mozzarella sticks without an air fryer?
Yes, deep fry mozzarella sticks in hot oil until golden brown. Alternatively, you can try baking them in a conventional oven, though the results may differ slightly from air frying.
What dipping sauces go well with mozzarella sticks?
Mozzarella sticks pair wonderfully with marinara sauce (a classic choice), but they also go well with other sauces like ranch dressing, garlic butter, pesto, or spicy Sriracha mayo.
Can I use homemade breadcrumbs for this recipe?
Yes, you can use homemade breadcrumbs. Just ensure they are finely ground and seasoned with herbs and spices.
How long do I need to let the mozzarella sticks cool before serving?
Allow the mozzarella sticks to cool for a minute or two after removing them from the air fryer. Serve them while they are still warm, but be cautious as they can be very hot right out of the fryer.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER BOSTON BROWN BREAD
- AIR FRYER HOMEMADE PIZZA ROLLS
- EASY AIR FRYER LATKES
- AIR FRYER FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- AIR FRYER TWICE-BAKED SWEET POTATOES
- EASY AIR FRYER LOADED POTATO CHIPS
Air Fryer Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella sticks
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, optional
- Cut the mozzarella sticks in half.
- Then, freeze them on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes or until frozen solid.
- Then get them out, and dip them into the flour & Italian Seasoning, egg, and then breadcrumbs.
- Then place them back into the baking tray to freeze for another 1 hour.
- Place them in the fry basket, and fry for 12 minutes at 390 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooking Spray