This is one of the easiest and healthies recipes you will make in your air fryer. It’s is a perfect side dish for any meal, since it’s low-carb. With a little seasoning, it makes for a quick vegetable, for those busy days.
This is a great recipe, and as the tomatoes come in season, I hope that you will pin it and try it. Tomatoes are great and have lots of health benefits. This has gained popularity in the past few years, now if you head to any produce market, you can find tomatoes in a variety of ways, and the varieties keep on growing.
Let’s tak about tomatoes since many of us know very little about them:
- Tomatoes is actually a fruit, I know it’s surprising but true. Basically per Wikipedia, because it contains seeds that flower.
- However, all tomatoes are cooked as if they were a vegetable.
- They are high in antioxidants, which has been studied to have a number of health benefits including reducing risk of heart disease, and cancer.
- High in vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
- They come in a variety of colors, the most common being red, yellow, orange green and purple. So, keep your eyes open.
Here are some hints on how to purchase tomatoes:
- The cold actually destroys the tomatoes, so never purchase them from a refrigerated case. (Note: Don’t store them in the refrigerator when you get home either)
- Look for plump tomatoes with smooth skins.
- The skins shouldn’t have any bruises, blemishes, or deep cracks.
- They should have a slight smell to them, the freshest tomatoes are very fragrant, as they ripen they lose their aroma.
- Ripe tomatoes are tender, the older tomatoes get the harder they become.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin:
- 2-3 green tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
Start by washing the green tomatoes.
Then cut the tomatoes into about 1/4 inch slices.
Season them with salt and pepper, the salt will help draw out some of the moisture.
Mix together the panko and cornmeal.
Spray your air fryer basket, with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
Dip the tomatoes into the egg.
Then Dip them into the cornmeal/panko mixture.
As you coat them place them into your air fryer basket. Spray generous with olive oil sprayer (see my recommendations in my post, under items used)
Set your temperature for 400 degrees F.
Set your time for 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes, flip them and cook them for another 4 minutes. Remember to spray them with olive oil.
Plate, serve and enjoy!