Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes — A Southern staple. Fried Green tomatoes typically come breaded and fried in vegetable oil or bacon fat in the south. But I have found that cooking them in an air fryer is a great way to enjoy this dish! The best part is that they don’t require much work at all. Give these a try for your next Southern feast!
Fried Green Tomatoes in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Green Tomatoes are delicious. They are wonderfully crispy and are relatively healthy since you only need a little oil. This is a great appetizer or side dish. If you already love fried green tomatoes, then you’re going to love this air fryer recipe. It’s quick and easy to make, and the result is so crispy and delicious. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional frying. So why not give it a try? You may even find that you prefer air-fried green tomatoes over traditional fried ones!
Fried green tomatoes are a Southern delicacy that you can make with any vegetable. They’re fried in cornmeal or flour and served as an appetizer or side dish. The secret to making perfect fried green tomatoes is to cook them until they are golden brown, not too crispy, but not soggy either!
This is a great air fryer recipe and a popular traditional Southern Appetizer dish. Maybe you’ve seen the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, or maybe you’re on this post because you were looking the movie up! Either way, the movie was excellent, so if you haven’t watched it, I’d recommend it – but this recipe is also delicious, so give it a try too!
This is a great recipe, and as the tomatoes come into season, I hope you will pin it and try it. Tomatoes are sumptuous and have lots of health benefits. This has gained popularity in the past few years; if you head to any produce market, you can find tomatoes in various ways, and the varieties keep growing. This is a true Southern Comfort Food, so next time you’re at the grocery store, pick up some large green tomatoes!
Air Fryer Fried Fried Green Tomatoes
Green Tomato Recipes
If you leave traditional fried green tomatoes, which are traditionally cooked in a cast iron skillet, you will love this recipe for Air Fryer Fried Tomatoes! They are so good, and the air fryer is an amazing way of cooking them up to crispy perfection!
The best way to make fried green tomato slices might be the air fryer!
Air Fryer Green Tomatoes Recipe
Have you ever noticed how often fried green tomatoes show up on restaurant menus? It’s true – they’re popping up everywhere! But, if you’ve never had them before and don’t want to go out for a meal to try the dish, we have good news: now you can make your own at home with an air fryer.
Air frying is one of those cooking methods that doesn’t require much oil and gets food nice and crispy without adding too many calories or fat. You’ll be amazed by all the flavors of this simple recipe.
You can also include a substitution on how to make the best air fryer fried green tomatoes, how to make them without cornmeal if you don’t want to use cornmeal, or if you just don’t have cornmeal on hand!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Green Tomatoes – If you’re able to pick them yourself, make sure they are slightly soft on the bottom.
- Panko Bread Crumbs – Or a Gluten Free alternative.
- Yellow Cornmeal
- Olive Oil Spray
How To Cook Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
Step 1: Prepare Tomatoes And Cornmeal/Panko Mixture
- Start by washing the green tomatoes. Then cut the tomatoes into about 1/4-inch slices. Season them with salt and pepper; the salt will help draw out some moisture, and dry them with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish or small bowl, prepare your cornmeal mixture, and mix the panko and cornmeal. Preheat air fryer. Then spray your air-fryer basket with cooking spray or olive oil spray.
Step 2: Coat Tomatoes
- Dip the tomatoes into the egg. Then dip them into the cornmeal/panko mixture. As you coat them, place them into your air fryer basket. Spray generously with an olive oil sprayer, and place them into a single layer.
Step 3: Cook In Air Fryer
- Set your temperature to 400 degrees F, air the fryer setting, and set your time for 8 minutes, flipping halfway during the cooking process. Remember to spray them with olive oil.
Whether cooking an egg, vegetables, or fish, air frying is a healthy and easy way to prepare your favorite dishes. Here are some tips for successful air frying:
- Every Air Fryer Is Different: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully (temperatures can vary), and check your food as it cooks up! Some air fryers may need 8 minutes, and some may need 10 minutes.
- High Heat Oils: Use high-heat oils, such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Crowding: Don’t overcrowd the food in the air fryer basket. Otherwise, your food will not cook up properly. You will end up with raw spots or spots that are not browned.
- Battering: Using a wet batter in the air fryer is fine, but remember that you need to shake the batter off after each step. This way, the butter does not end up clumping together.
- Crispy Foods: If you want crispy Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes, spray the coating with cooking spray so that as the high heat hits the breading, it crisps up. I always recommend spraying a few times during the cooking process for golden perfection!
- Easy Clean-Up: Line your basket with an air fryer silicone reusable liner for easy cleanup, and then toss it into the dishwasher! Easy peasy!
What Are Green Tomatoes?
Green tomatoes are a type of tomato, that are simply unripe tomatoes. . They have a green color and sometimes have spots or stripes on them. Green tomatoes are not as sweet as ripe red ones, but they will still taste good in recipes like fried green tomatoes or salsa verde. Some people don’t know what to do with these oddly shaped fruits, but one of the most popular Southern Dishes is the recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes.
Are Fried Green Tomatoes Bad For You?
Nightshades are a family of plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants. Nightshades all contain solanine which can be harmful to humans if consumed in large quantities. According to Gardening Know How “it would take a huge amount of tomato for someone to get sick,” so don’t worry about eating one or two fried green tomatoes!
So, air fry green tomatoes today!
Can You Make Fried Green Tomatoes In The Air Fryer?
Yes! That’s what I love about the Air Fryer, anything you already like, you can most likely make in your air fryer instead – a healthier version if you would normally fry it and also done in less time.
Where Do I Buy Them?
Green tomatoes are available at supermarkets and farmers’ markets until the end of summer. Don’t accidentally buy heirloom green varieties, which go by names such as “green giant” or ’emerald EverGreen!’
What To Look For When Purchasing Green Tomatoes
You can determine whether a green tomato is ripe or not by deciding how it feels when you press on the bottom. If they are soft, it is ready to eat and taste great!
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes With Almond Flour
This recipe can be easily adapted to make Air Fryer Keto or Low-Carb Fried Green Tomatoes. All you need to do is substitute pork rinds or almond flour for the breadcrumbs and cornmeal. The recipe will work precisely the same. Alternatively, you can also replace the breadcrumbs and cornmeal for Keto and low-carb compliant replacements.
Air Fryer Fried Green Toatmes No Buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk, this is a great recipe that you can use! No buttermilk is needed!
How Do I Store Them?
To Store: For best results, store your green tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. You may want to cover the container with plastic wrap before sealing it, which will help the Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes stay crispy.
How To Reheat:
It’s a well-known fact that this Southern Dish is best when they’re fresh and hot, right out of the air fryer. But if you do end up having some leftovers, it doesn’t take much to turn those cold leftovers into something just as delicious as ever. In just a few easy steps, you can have your old favorite back on the table in no time! I recommend preheating the air fryer, before adding them, to get some of the crisp back!
- Add your leftover fried green tomatoes into the air fryer basket.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and put the air fryer on for 5 to 8 minutes.
- For best results, spray the fried green tomatoes with cooking spray and flip halfway through cooking.
How Can I Make Fried Green Tomatoes Without Cornmeal?
If you don’t have cornmeal, you can either substitute the cornmeal with either panko or breadcrumbs and use the recipe below.
Can I Freeze Air Fried Green Tomatoes?
Fried green tomatoes are a great way to add some southern flavor to your recipes. However, they can be time-consuming and potentially messy when you make them from scratch, depending on the recipe. Freezing fried green tomatoes is an excellent solution because you can enjoy this tasty treat for about two months. To do this:
- Place the room-temperature fried green tomatoes onto a lined baking sheet to freeze for best results. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer, and freeze until frozen solid. Remove the frozen fried green tomatoes and place them into a freezer bag.
- Cook the frozen Fried Green Tomatoes right in your air fryer, set the temperature to 360 degrees F and set the air fryer setting for 8 to 10 minutes.
How To Air Fry Frozen Fried Green Tomatoes
There is nothing better than a batch of Green Tomatoes from frozen, and they are super simple to cook in the air fryer. So, if you have some frozen fried green tomatoes, here is how to cook them:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 8 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway during the cooking process.
- Air fry them until they are fully cooked.
What Dipping Sauces Work With Healthy Fried Green Tomatoes In Air Fryer
Looking for a great dipping sauce, to go with air fryer green tomatoes, here are some of my favorites.
- EASY COPYCAT ARBY’S SAUCE
- SMOKY SOUTHERN COMEBACK SAUCE
- ALFREDO DIP
- FRENCH ONION DIP
- MACDONALD’S TANGY BBQ SAUCE (COPYCAT RECIPE)
- HOMEMADE BLUE-CHEESE DRESSING
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes — Fried green tomatoes are a southern staple. In the south, they typically come with breaded and fried in vegetable oil or bacon fat. But I have found that an air fryer is a great way to enjoy this dish! The best part? They don't require much work at all. Give these a try for your next Southern feast!
- 2-3 large Green Tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
Start by washing the green tomatoes.
Then cut the tomatoes into about 1/4 inch slices.
Season them with salt and pepper, the salt will help draw out some of the moisture.
Crack your egg into a small bowl, and use a fork to mix, until frothy. Mix the panko and cornmeal.Spray your air fryer basket with nooking spray or olive oil spray.
Dip the tomatoes into the egg.
Then Dip them into the cornmeal/panko mixture.
As you coat them, place them into your air fryer basket. Spray generous with olive oil.
Set your temperature to 400 degrees F, air frying setting, for 8 to 10 minutes, fliping halfway during the cooking process.
Plate, serve, and enjoy!