Air Fryer Seafood Puffs — Introducing the Air Fryer Seafood Puffs recipe, a delightful culinary creation that combines the irresistible flavors of seafood and puff pastry in a convenient and air-fried package.
These golden, flaky puffs are filled with a delectable mixture of tender seafood, aromatic herbs, and creamy sauces, creating a savory sensation perfect for appetizers or as a main course.
With the magic of the air fryer, you can achieve that perfect crispy texture while savoring the succulent seafood filling. Prepare to embark on a culinary adventure with this easy-to-follow recipe that will become a favorite among seafood enthusiasts and air fryer aficionados.
What Are Air Fryer Seafood Puffs
Air Fryer Seafood Puffs are delectable pastry parcels filled with a delightful seafood mixture and cooked to golden perfection in an air fryer.
These puffs typically consist of a flaky, buttery puff pastry shell that encases a savory filling made from a combination of seafood like shrimp, crab, or fish, along with ingredients like herbs, spices, and creamy sauces. The result is a delectable snack or appetizer with a crispy exterior and a flavorful, moist interior, making them a favorite among seafood lovers.
Cooking them in an air fryer adds an extra layer of convenience by achieving a perfectly crispy texture without deep frying.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Seafood Puffs
Are you looking for a delicious and easy appetizer to make for your next party? If so, then check out these air fryer seafood puffs!
They are simple to make, and everyone will love them. Plus, they are the perfect dish to serve to impress your guests. So, what ingredients do you need to make these tasty puffs? Keep reading to find out!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Puff Pastry Sheets: Puff pastry sheets serve as the buttery and flaky outer layer of the puffs, providing the perfect pastry texture to encase the seafood filling.
- Seafood: The seafood component can include a combination of shrimp, crab, fish, or your choice of seafood, adding a delicious and savory flavor to the puffs.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese contributes a creamy and rich texture to the filling while enhancing the seafood’s flavor.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds creaminess and moisture to the filling mixture, creating a luscious texture.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard provides a hint of tanginess and depth of flavor to the filling, balancing the richness of the seafood.
- Green Onions: Chopped green onions bring a fresh, mild onion flavor and a pop of color to the seafood filling.
- Garlic: Minced garlic infuses the filling with aromatic and savory notes, complementing the seafood’s natural taste.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice adds a bright and zesty citrus flavor, enhancing the overall freshness of the seafood mixture.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley leaves are finely chopped and added for a burst of herbal freshness and visual appeal.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper are used to season the filling, ensuring it’s perfectly seasoned and balanced.
How To Make Air Fryer Seafood Puffs
Making Air Fryer Seafood Puffs is a breeze, and the result is a delightful appetizer or snack with a crispy pastry shell and a savory seafood filling. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make them:
Prepare Seafood Filling:
Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees F for 3- 5 minutes.
Roughly chop crab meat. Combine crab meat, mayonnaise, cream cheese, Worcestershire, horseradish, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, chives, and minced garlic in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
Step Two: Assemble Crab Puffs
Cut puff pastry dough into 4 x 4“ squares. Add a scoop of the seafood mixture to the center of each puff pastry. Fold each corner over the top and into the center. Pinch to seal.
Step Three: Air Fryer Seafood Puffs
Place crab puffs into the air fryer and lightly spray the tops with olive or canola oil—Set cook time for 5-7 minutes at 385 degrees F.
Serve with a slice of lemon, and enjoy!
While the classic Air Fryer Seafood Puffs recipe is already delicious, there are several variations and creative twists you can explore to customize this dish to your liking. Here are some recipe variations:
- Spicy Seafood Puffs: Add a kick of heat by incorporating chopped jalapeños, red pepper flakes, or a dash of hot sauce into the seafood filling.
- Cajun-Style Seafood Puffs: Create a Cajun-inspired filling by seasoning the seafood mixture with Cajun spice blend, bell peppers, and onions for a zesty and flavorful twist.
- Cheesy Seafood Puffs: Sprinkle-grated cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Gruyère cheese on top of the seafood filling before sealing the puff pastry for an extra layer of cheesy goodness.
- Lobster and Shrimp Puffs: Combine lobster and shrimp for an indulgent seafood filling for special occasions.
- Mediterranean Seafood Puffs: Use Mediterranean-inspired ingredients such as feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and sundried tomatoes in the filling for a Mediterranean twist.
- Asian-Inspired Seafood Puffs: Incorporate ingredients like chopped water chestnuts, soy sauce, and sesame oil into the seafood mixture for an Asian-inspired flavor profile.
- Spinach and Artichoke Seafood Puffs: Combine the seafood with a spinach and artichoke dip mixture for a delightful blend of flavors.
- Coconut Curry Seafood Puffs: Add a touch of curry powder and coconut milk to the seafood filling for a creamy and aromatic twist.
- Sweet and Spicy Glaze: Brush the puffs with a sweet and spicy glaze made from honey, Sriracha sauce, and a splash of soy sauce before air frying for a unique flavor combination.
- Mini Seafood Puffs: Make smaller, bite-sized puffs for a delightful appetizer option at parties or gatherings.
- Herb-Crusted Puffs: Coat the outside of the puff pastry with a mixture of fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and parsley for an herbaceous and fragrant crust.
Mix and match these variations to create unique Air Fryer Seafood Puffs. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to cater to different tastes and occasions.
- Dough: This recipe is easier to make if you keep the puff pastry cold while assembling them. Refrigerate the dough if you cook these seafood puffs in the air fryer in batches.
- Overfill: Be careful not to overfill the seafood puffs. Otherwise, the filling will overflow as they air fry up. A spoonful or two will work. Make sure that you can close the crab puffs.
- Seasonings: You can add any following herbs for even more flavor or additional spice. Chiptole, Sriracha Mayonnaise, or even some hot sauce.
- Crowding: Depending on how large your air fryer is, you want to be careful not to crowd the basket. Otherwise, it will limit the airflow. An air fryer works by hot air circulating the air fryer basket, cooking up your food to perfection!
- Fliping: I did not flip these seafood puffs, but depending on which air fryer you own, you may need to convert them halfway during the cooking process.
- Making These In An Air Fryer Oven: If you want to make these in an air fryer oven model, place the crab puffs on the bottom shelf so that the inside and outside will cook together.
Can I use a specific type of seafood for this recipe?
Yes, you can use your choice of seafood or a combination of shrimp, crab, fish, or any other seafood you prefer. Ensure it’s cooked and chopped into small pieces.
Can I use fresh seafood instead of frozen?
Absolutely! Freshly cooked seafood works well in this recipe. Ensure it’s fully cooked and cooled before adding it to the filling.
Can I make the filling in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the seafood filling in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the puffs.
Can I use store-bought seafood or imitation crab meat?
Yes, you can use store-bought or imitation crab meat if you prefer. Ensure it’s finely chopped for even distribution in the filling.
Do I need to thaw the puff pastry before using it?
Yes, it’s essential to thaw the puff pastry sheets according to the package instructions before using them. Thawed pastry is easier to work with and ensures even cooking.
Can I freeze the uncooked seafood puffs for later use?
Yes, you can assemble the seafood puffs and freeze them on a baking sheet until solid. Then, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to cook, air fry them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
What dipping sauces pair well with seafood puffs?
Seafood puffs go well with dipping sauces, such as tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, or a simple garlic aioli. Choose your favorite for dipping!
How do I prevent the seafood puffs from sticking to the air fryer basket?
You can lightly grease the air fryer basket or use parchment paper to prevent sticking. Ensure there’s enough space between the puffs for proper air circulation.
Can I reheat leftover seafood puffs?
Yes, you can reheat leftover seafood puffs in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F or 175°C) for a few minutes to maintain their crispy texture.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER STUFFED MINI PEPPERS
- AIR FRYER SEMI-HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS
- EASY AIR FRYER BLACK PEPPER STEAK KABOB
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY GOAT CHEESE EMPANADAS
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY COOKIES
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Seafood Puffs
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chives, diced
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough
- Preheat the air fryer to 385* for 5 minutes
- Roughly chop crab meat.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine crab meat, mayonnaise, cream cheese, Worcestershire, horseradish, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, chives, and minced garlic. Stir well to combine.
- Cut puff pastry dough into 4 x 4“ squares.
- Add a scoop of the crab mixture to the center of each puff pastry. Fold each corner over the top and into the center. Pinch to seal.
- Place seafood puffs into the air fryer and lightly spray the tops with olive oil or canola oil. Cook for five minutes.
- Serve with a slice of lemon, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional