Air Fryer Pie Crust Recipe — A pie crust is one of the most important parts of any pie. A good crust can elevate a mediocre filling to something extraordinary, and a lousy crust can ruin even the best filling. This recipe for an air fryer pie crust will give you a flaky, buttery texture without using your oven!
If you love pies but hate the hassle of making pie crusts, then this recipe is for you! It’s so easy to make, and it tastes just like a traditional pie crust. Give it a try today!
Air Fryer Pie Crust
The holidays are coming up, and that means pie. Pie is one of the most well-loved desserts in America, but it can be difficult to make a perfect crust for your pies.
Luckily, you don’t need to roll out the dough or use the oven – all you need is an air fryer! It’s not just limited to pies either; you can make everything from pumpkin tarts to apple galettes with an air fryer pie crust recipe. This recipe will teach you how easy it is to make your professional-quality pie crusts at home without any fuss or bother!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pie Crust
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Ice Water
How To Make Air Fryer Pie Crust
In a large bowl, mix the butter (cold and diced) with the flour and add your sugar and salt. Mix until the dough is formed. Then slowly add teaspoons of water until you have the right consistency.
Add your pie dough to a floured surface, and roll it out until it’s large enough for your baking pan.
Place your tart pan on top of the crust. Cut a circle (it doesn’t have to be perfect) about 1 inch outside the border of the tart pan.
Press the crust into the tart pan, tucking the edges down along the sides and cutting off any excess dough so that the crust is even with the top of the pan.
To Blind Bake, The Crust: In the Air Fryer, place the tart pan into the air fryer’s basket and cook at 300°F for 5 minutes. You can fill the pie with pie weights, to help keep the shape.
- Continue to mix the dough until the dough starts to form. Depending on your flour, you may need to add more water. Remember to add water in small quantities so that the dough does not become wet.
- For best results, use cold butter. You have diced it into small pieces. It’s ok for the dough to have pieces scattered through the dough. This will air fry up ideally and cause a butter and flaky crust.
- You can chill your pie dough, which will make it more manageable. You can over and refrigerator this dough for up to a day before using it.
- For best results in cooking a pie crust in the air fryer, use a thinner pan, a quiche or tart pan works perfectly.
IS IT BETTER WITH BUTTER OR SHORTENING?
Are you a cook who is trying to decide whether to use butter or shortening in your recipes? Cooks have used butter for centuries, but recently, many have switched over to shortening.
Shortening is a great option and will give you a flaky crust, so if you are looking for a more traditional pie, use shortening.
WHAT ARE THE BEST PIE PANS TO USE IN THE AIR FRYER?
If you are a pie lover, then the air fryer is definitely for you! Not only does it cook your pies in minutes, but there are so many different ways to use them. But what pans should you be using?
Over the years, I have experimented with different pie pans, and here are a few that I have found work perfectly in the air fryer. (affiliate links)
How To Make Refrigerated Pie Crust In the Air Fryer:
This post will share the recipe for Refrigerated Pie Crust that you can make in an Air Fryer. This is a great way to have pie crust whenever you want it without having to wait hours for it to bake!
The only difference I would make is to spray your pie pan (or baking pan) with cooking spray before adding your refrigerated pie dough so it does not stick.
- Remove refrigerated pie crust from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before preparing the pie crust.
- Unroll pie crust dough and place your tart pan on top of the crust. Cut a circle (it doesn’t have to be perfect) about 1 inch outside the border of the tart pan.
- Press the crust into the tart pan, tucking the edges down along the sides and cutting off any excess dough so that the crust is even with the top of the pan.
- Place the tart pan into the basket of the air fryer and cook at 300°F for 5 minutes.
Air Fryer PIe Recipes:
- AIR FRYER FRUIT TART
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY GOAT CHEESE EMPANADAS
- EASY AIR FRYER MINI CHERRY PIE
- AIR FRYER LEMON PIE
- AIR FRYER S’MORES PIE FOR ONE
Air Fryer Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulatesd sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, diced
- 5 to 6 teaspoons ice water
- In a large bowl, mix the butter (cold and diced) with the flour and add your sugar and salt. Mix until the dough is formed. Then slowly add teaspoons of water until you have the right consistency.
- Add your pie dough to a floured surface, and roll it out until it's large enough for your baking pan.
- To Blind Bake, The Crust: In the Air Fryer, place the tart pan into the air fryer's basket and cook at 300°F for 5 minutes. You can fill the pie with pie weights, to help keep the shape.
- Let cool, and then add your filings.
- Air Fryer
- Pie Plate (see suggetions)