If you have not gotten around to making hand pies, let me tell you, they only look intimating, they are actually really simple.
If you are not familiar with the term of hand pie, it’s really just a fancy way of saying portable pie. Meaning you can take these with you anywhere you go, and since they look like you spent hours and hours in the kitchen, they would be perfect for you to take to the next family gathering or BBQ that you are invited to.
Hand pies as I discovered through Wikipedia, are actually just small pies. They are just filled pies that have been encased with dough, Meaning they are individual pies, with the filling inside, which make them perfect walking around food. My kids are so going to love these, in September when I put them into their lunch boxes.
These make the perfect dessert since the kids can take them out of the kitchen, while I am cleaning the kitchen.
Here are some pointers when making hand pies, and if you follow these, I promise you will be making hundreds of them in no time.
And if you are looking for an amazing group of Air Fryer Experts, all who share their wisdom and knowledge, and great recipes, feel free to join here!!
First: Invest in a set of biscuit cutters, they come in handy for all of your baking, air fryer or regular.
Second, your air fryer type will make a difference in your cooking time, so I recommend that you set your time for a few minutes after it should be done, so that you don’t burn them, because there is nothing worse than a burned pie.
Don’t Forget to Pin–
These are so easy to make, and they are absolutely fabulous to eat. These are a great treat for kids of any age. My husband brings them to work, for his afternoon coffee break and snack. I pack them in my kid’s lunchbox for school days.
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling
- 1 large egg white
- 1 shiny sugar
- Start by laying out your dough on a floured surface.
- Use your biscuit cutter and make your circles, choose a size that will allow you to put in a few tablespoons of filling.
- Remove the excess dough from the counter, and set aside (as you will roll that later to make more hand pies)
- Add about a tablespoon of blueberry pie filling to the center of the circle
- Fold over the dough, and then use a fork to seal the edges.
- Then brush the egg white on, and sprinkle some sparkling sugar on top.
- Finish making them, until your baking tray is filled. Do not crowd them, as you don’t want them to touch.
- Cut two small slits in them, to allow air to circulate.
- Set your air fryer oven to 350 degrees for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes check and see if they are cooked. Mine where not, so I added another 2 minutes. To get the dough golden brown.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Keywords: air fryer hand pies air fryer apple hand pies reheat apple pie in air fryer blueberry pie filling air fryer cherry hand pies air fryer pie crust air fryer peach pies air fryer desserts