Easy Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies –Do you love hand pies? I do! They are the perfect little dessert for wanting something sweet but not wanting to eat a whole pie. Today, we are going to make air fryer blueberry hand pies! These little fried pies are so easy to make and taste amazing.
Indulge in the Perfect Blueberry Treat: Easy Air Fryer Hand Pies!
Blueberries and summertime go hand in hand. From backyard barbecues to picnics by the beach, there’s something incredibly refreshing about biting into a juicy blueberry. But what if we could elevate this simple pleasure?
Enter the Easy Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pie – a delightful fusion of crispy pastry and luscious blueberry filling, all wrapped up in a convenient, hand-held package.
Whether you’re a baking novice or a seasoned pie aficionado, this recipe is a game-changer. Using the air fryer saves time and ensures each hand pie is perfectly golden and crisp. Ready to transform your dessert game? Let’s dive into this tempting treat!
Why You Will Love This Recipe For Easy Blueberry Hand Pie Recipe
- They are Easy.
- They are Delicious!
- Only a few ingredients to a great homemade pie taste.
- Crispy and flaky exterior with a warm interior.
- This store, well, for a great midweek snack.
- These freeze well for a great make-ahead snack or dessert.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies
Do you love blueberry pies but don’t love the amount of time and effort it takes to make them? If you’re looking for an easy, delicious alternative that still captures all the flavors of a classic blueberry pie, look no further than air fryer blueberry hand pies!
This recipe is simple yet flavorful and, best of all, baked in your air fryer instead of in a conventional oven.
All it takes is a handful of ingredients and less than half an hour before your kitchen will be filled with the smell of freshly baked pastries. Read on to learn more about what ingredients you’ll need to craft these sweet treats at home!
Remember the full recipe is below in the printable recipe card, so keep on scrolling for the rest of the recipe and nutritional information for this easy handheld treat!
- Blueberry Pie Filling: This sweet and tangy filling, packed with juicy blueberries, offers a convenient way to get the perfect consistency and flavor without the hassle of preparing blueberries from scratch.
- Pre-made Pie Crusts: Using store-bought pie crusts saves time and ensures a consistent, flaky texture. Just unroll, fill, and you’re ready to go. You can also use puff pastry, homemade pie crust, or biscuit dough.
- Egg White: This acts as a binder for sealing the hand pies and, when brushed on top, gives them a golden, shiny finish when air-fried.
- Sparkling Sugar or Granulated Sugar: A sprinkle of this on top of the hand pies before air frying enhances their sweetness and gives a delightful crunch.
How To Make Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies
Craving a sweet and delicious treat you can eat right out of your hand? Then you need to try making these air fryer blueberry hand pies! They are easy to make, and their mini-size makes them great for snacking on throughout the day. Whether you’re hosting an impromptu gathering with friends or want something special and comforting after dinner, these flaky treats will satisfy you every time. Check out this simple recipe for how to make air fryer blueberry hand pies – it’s sure to become one of your favorites!
Preparation: Start by laying out your pie crusts on a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin to flatten if needed.
Cutting the Dough: Cut out circles from your dough using a round 2-inch cookie cutter, a 2-inch biscuit cutter, or a glass rim. Continue until you have made all of your dough circles; you can from the dough.
Filling: Spoon about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the blueberry pie filling into the circle of pie dough, ensuring you leave space around the edges.
Sealing: Place the remaining circles on top of the filled ones. Press down the edges gently with your fingers, then use a fork to crimp them shut. This not only seals the pies but also gives a decorative edge.
Egg Wash: In a small bowl, beat the egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush this mixture over the top of each hand pie. If desired, sprinkle with sugar for a sweet crust, use a sharp knife, and cut a couple of small slits into the pastry dough.
Serving: Once cooked, remove the hand pies from the air fryer and allow them to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
Note: The blueberry pie filling might be hot immediately after cooking, so ensure it has cooled a bit before enjoying your hand pies. Enjoy them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra treat!
Pro Tips For The Best Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies
- Consistency of the Filling: Ensure your blueberry mixture isn’t too runny. If you find it watery after mixing, let it simmer a bit longer to reduce and thicken, or add more cornstarch. You can also use homemade blueberry filling.
- Seal the Edges: Properly sealing the edges of your hand pies will prevent any filling from spilling out during the air frying process. Use a fork to crimp the edges for a good seal and a decorative touch.
- Space Them Out: Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. This ensures even cooking and prevents the pies from sticking together.
- Egg Wash: Don’t skip the egg wash; it gives the hand pies a golden, glossy finish. After applying the egg wash, you can sprinkle some coarse sugar on top for an added crunch and aesthetic appeal.
- Monitor the Cooking: All air fryers are slightly different, so keep an eye on your hand pies, especially the first time you make them, to avoid overcooking.
- Cooling: Allow the hand pies to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes after air frying. This will help them set up and make them easier to handle.
- Experiment with Flavors: While blueberries are the main star, don’t hesitate to mix in other berries or fruits like raspberries or diced apples for a flavor twist.
- Dough Thickness: Roll your pie crust to about 1/8-inch thickness with a rolling pin. If it’s too thick, it might overpower the filling; if it’s too thin, it might not hold it well.
- Serving Tip: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an added treat.
Remember these tips, and your Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies will be a hit!
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryer Hand Pies Recipe
Can I use homemade blueberry filling instead of store-bought? Absolutely! While store-bought filling is convenient, a homemade filling can offer a fresher taste. Just ensure it has a thick consistency to prevent leakage during air frying.
How do I store leftover hand pies? Store any leftover hand pies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, wrapped in plastic wrap. For longer storage, refrigerate them and consume them within a week.
Can these be frozen for later use? You can freeze unbaked hand pies on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag. When ready to cook, air fry directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Can I use other fruit fillings? Definitely! This recipe is versatile. Feel free to swap out the blueberry filling for apple, cherry, peach, or your fruit of choice. You can also add a tablespoon of cream cheese to each hand pie.
Why is my pie crust not golden brown? Ensure you brush the hand pies with an egg wash before cooking. This gives them a golden finish. They might need a couple more minutes in the air fryer if they’re still pale.
Is there a difference between using fresh or frozen blueberries in the filling? If making your filling, both fresh and frozen blueberries can be used. However, frozen blueberries may release more liquid, so you might need to adjust the thickening agents accordingly.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer? While some models recommend preheating, it’s not always necessary. Consult your air fryer’s manual, but in general, adding 1-2 minutes to the cooking time should compensate if you skip preheating.
How do I prevent the hand pies from leaking? Ensure the edges are sealed tightly. You can also refrigerate the pies for about 20 minutes before air frying to help keep their shape.
These little hand pies are the perfect dessert, so easy to make ahead of time, making it the perfect snack for the kids to bring to school in their lunchboxes.
To make these ahead of time, prepare them as directed, then let them cool to room temperature on a cooling rack. Then, place them into an airtight container. They will last for about 2 to 3 days.
How To Freeze Hand Pies
This is a great recipe to make and freeze for a quick snack or dessert. You can either make them and then freeze them before cooking or cook them and then freeze them. Either will work.
Place the cooked Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies onto a parchment paper baking sheet if you want to make and freeze them. Place the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until frozen solid.
Then remove and then place into a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. They will last for about 2 to 3 months.
To use from frozen, place them frozen into the Air Fryer Basket, set the temperature to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BOMBS
- AIR FRYER BEST CHERRY TURNOVERS
- EASY AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE DANISH
- AIR FRYER CINNAMON CHURRO BITES
- AIR FRYER CINNAMON STICKY BUNS
- EASY AIR FRYER CHERRY CHIMICHANGAS
- AIR FRYER BAKED APPLES
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Easy Air Fryer Blueberry Hand Pies
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar
- Preparation: Start by laying out your pie crusts on a flat surface, using a rolling pin to flatten if needed.
- Cutting the Dough: Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out circles from your dough.
- Filling: Spoon about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the blueberry pie filling into the center of half of the circles, ensuring you leave space around the edges.
- Sealing: Take the remaining circles and place them on top of the filled ones. Press down the edges gently with your fingers, then use a fork to crimp them shut. This not only seals the pies but also gives a decorative edge.
- Egg Wash: In a small bowl, beat the egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush this mixture over the top of each hand pie. If desired, sprinkle with sugar for a sweet crust.
- Air Frying: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Once heated, place the hand pies in a single layer, ensuring they don’t touch. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until they’re golden brown, turning halfway through.
- Serving: Once cooked, remove the hand pies from the air fryer and allow them to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, or Parchment Paper