Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies are so good! If you have been looking for the perfect summertime Air Fryer Dessert, this is one of the best!
If you have not gotten around to making hand pies, let me tell you, they only look intimidating. They are actually really simple.
Made with a flaky pie crust and filled with a sweet lemon filling, either lemon curd or lemon pie filling, this dessert will not disappoint.
Baking in the Air Fryer has never been similar, and these cook up perfectly in minutes! The result is a flaky pastry that will melt in your mouth!
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Dessert Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE DANISH, AIR FRYER CINNAMON STICKY BUNS, AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE HAND PIES, and AIR FRYER CINNAMON CHURRO BITES.
What Are Hand Pies?
If you are not familiar with the term hand pie, it’s really just a fancy way of saying portable pie. Meaning you can take these with you anywhere you go, and since they look like you spent hours and hours in the kitchen, they would be perfect for you to take to the next family gathering or BBQ you are invited to.
Hand pies, as I discovered through Wikipedia, are actually just small pies. They are just filled pies encased with dough, Meaning they are individual pies, with the filling inside, making them perfect for walking around food. My kids are so going to love these in September when I put them into their lunch boxes.
These make the perfect dessert since the kids can take them out of the kitchen while cleaning the kitchen.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies
- Prepared or Homemade Pie Crust
- Lemon Pie Filling or Lemon Curd
- Sparkling Sugar
How To Make Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies
Start by laying out your dough on a floured surface. Use your biscuit cutter and make your circles. Choose a size that will allow you to put in a few tablespoons of filling.
Remove the excess dough from the counter, and set it aside (as you will roll that later to make more hand pies)
Add about a tablespoon of lemon pie filling to the center of the circle. Fold over the dough, and then use a fork to seal the edges.
Then brush the egg on top with a pastry brush.
Fill your tray up, being careful to leave space between the pies. Sprinkle some sparkling sugar on top. Place your tray in the air fryer.
Set your air fryer oven to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, check and see if they are cooked. Mine were not, so I added another 2 minutes. To get the dough golden brown.
- This recipe can be cooked in an air fryer basket or oven. I have made these several times in different air fryers, and the recipe will remain the same. I have also made these in the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Crisp Lid, and Mealthy Lid. The cooking time will vary based on what air fryer you are using.
- For best results, cook the Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies into the same shape, so they all cook simultaneously.
- You can use either lemon curd or lemon pie filling.
- For best results, do not overfill the pie crust. Otherwise, the pies will leak while they bake up.
- If you find that your dough is not staying together, add a small amount of water over the edge, which will help the dough stick to itself.
- This recipe can be prepared with either lemon curd or lemon pie filling.
- You can use their homemade lemon pie filling or homemade lemon curd. The recipe will work the same as store-bought.
- You can use any canned or homemade pie filling, including blueberry, raspberry, almond, etc.
- You can drizzle with chocolate sauce, lemon icing, or powdered sugar icing right before serving.
- While I used a prepared pie crust, this recipe will work the same using homemade pie crust.
Storing Hand Pies
While you can make these as you want to consume them, they also make for a great snack that you can store.
To make a batch, prepare as directed and then let them cool to room temperature. Then place them into an airtight container. Leave at room temperature, where they will last for about 2 to 3 days.
Freezing Hand Pies
This is a great dessert to have stocked in your freezer. They freeze really well. Let them cool to room temperature, and then place them on a baking tray. Place the baking tray into the freezer, and freeze until the hand pies are frozen solid.
Place the Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They will last for about 1 to 2 months.
To use: Let them thaw at room temperature, and then you can warm up before serving in either the microwave or air fryer, right before serving.
Can I bake hand pies in the oven?
Yes, you can! Make the Lemon Hand Pies as called for in the directions below, and then place them onto a greased baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in a preheated 400 degrees F oven.
Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and let them cool slightly before serving.
More Air Fryer Dessert Recipes:
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY PASTRY
- AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE PASTRY CUPS
- EASY AIR FRYER EASY APPLE TARTS
- AIR FRYER PECAN ROLLS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT CINNAMON TACO BELL DELIGHTS
- EASY AIR FRYER PEACH TURNOVERS
- AIR FRYER RASPBERRY HAND PIES
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Lemon Hand Pies
- 1 package pie crust, prepared
- 1 cup lemon pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Wilton Sparkling Sugar
- Start by laying out your dough on a floured surface.
- Use your biscuit cutter and make your circles. Choose a size that will allow you to put in a few tablespoons of filling.
- Remove the excess dough from the counter, and set it aside (as you will roll that later to make more hand pies)
- Add about a tablespoon of lemon pie filling to the center of the circle.
- Fold over the dough, and then use a fork to seal the edges.
- Then brush the egg on top with a pastry brush.
- Fill your tray up, being careful to leave space between the pies.
- Sprinkle some sparkling sugar on top.
- Place your tray in the oven.
- Set your air fryer oven to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, check and see if they are cooked. Mine were not, so I added another 2 minutes. To get the dough golden brown.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
- Air Fryer, Air Fryer Basket or Air Fryer oven
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper