Hankering for something a bit different to serve at your next family gathering? Air fryer pickles in a blanket are the perfect choice! Crispy and savory, these little appetizers offer an irresistible combination of flavors that will tantalize everyone’s taste buds.
Not only do air-fried pickles in blankets provide an easy way to please hundreds, but they also require no cooking skill whatsoever – making them ideal for even the most inexperienced chef. So roll up your sleeves and get ready to explore this deliciously fun recipe – you won’t regret it.
What Are Pickles In A Blanket
Pickles in a Blanket, also known as Pickle Dogs, are a type of appetizer or snack that is similar to the classic pigs in a blanket. Instead of using hot dogs or sausages, Pickles in a Blanket use dill pickles wrapped in dough and baked until golden brown.
Pickles in a Blanket are a popular and unique appetizer that is often served at parties and gatherings. They are also a fun and tasty way to enjoy the flavor of pickles in a new and unexpected way.
Why Cook PIckles In Blanket In Air Fryer
Cooking Pickles in a Blanket in an air fryer is a quick and easy way to achieve a crispy and golden-brown exterior without deep frying.
Air fryers use hot air circulation to cook food, similar to a convection oven, but with much less oil. This means you can achieve a crispy texture without excessive oil or the mess of deep frying.
Air fryers are a great option for those who want to enjoy the flavor and texture of fried foods with less oil and mess. Cooking Pickles in a Blanket in an air fryer is a healthier and more convenient way to enjoy this tasty appetizer.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pickles In A Blanket
Are you craving something crunchy, savory, and downright delicious? If so, Air Fryer Pickles In A Blanket will surely hit the spot!
These easy snacks tick all of your appetizer cravings with less mess and effort than ever before. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients!
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Whole Mini Dill Pickles: Use your favorite brand.
- Bacon: Use center-cut bacon, turkey bacon will also work in this recipe.
- Puff Pastry Sheets: Thawed but cold
- Egg Wash: Large Egg and Water will help give the puff pastry a golden brown color
- Seasonings and Spices: Coarse Black Pepper, Ranch Seasoning (Dry), Sea Salt Flakes, or Kosher Salt
How To Make Air Fryer Pickles In A Blanket
Who doesn’t love the classic combination of a warm pickle wrapped in savory biscuit dough? Now, you can enjoy this delicious treat in an even healthier way—in your air fryer!
Below, we will provide you with all the tips and tricks needed to make air fryer pickles in a blanket. With just five simple ingredients and 10 minutes of cook time (plus prep), you can quickly have these yummy treats on the table! So heat up that air fryer and prepare for some deliciousness—we’re about to show you how it’s done!
Step One: Prepare The Air Fryer
Start soaking the wooden toothpicks in a bowl of cold water for 15-20 minutes. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
Step Two: Prepare The Seasoning Mix
Combine black pepper and ranch seasoning in a small bowl or ramekin and mix, then evenly spread seasoning onto a shallow plate. Wrap each pickle with one piece of bacon. Roll bacon-wrapped pickles in the seasoning.
Step Three: Air Fry The Pickles
Place pickles into the air fryer basket. Set cook time for 7 minutes to crisp up the bacon.
Tip: add ⅛ cup of water to the bottom of your air frying basket to limit smoke from the bacon depending on the model of air fryer you use- we used an Instant Pot Vortex
Step Four: Prepare The Puff Pastry
While that is cooking, lightly flour a wooden cutting board and roll out the puff pastry sheet into a 10×10” square. Cut into 1-inch strips, then cut each strip in half lengthwise.
Step Five: Air Fry Puff Pastry Wrapped Pickles
Remove pickles from the air fryer and place them onto a wire rack lined baking sheet to cool for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Air Fry Puff Pastry Wrapped Pickles
Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees F, using the air fryer setting. Wrap each pickle with a strip of the puff pastry sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange pickles in a single layer evenly spaced in the basket and cook for 8 minutes, stopping once halfway through to flip.
Step Seven: Serving
Serve warm with dip, and enjoy!
- Use dill pickles: Dill pickles work best in this recipe as they have a tangy and briny flavor that pairs well with bacon and dough.
- Use high-quality bacon.
- Don’t overstuff the dough: When wrapping the pickles in the dough, make sure to use a thin layer of bacon and a thin layer of dough. Overstuffing the dough can prevent it from cooking evenly and achieving a crispy texture.
- Preheat the air fryer: It’s important to preheat the air fryer before adding the Pickles in a Blanket to ensure even cooking and crispy texture.
- Use cooking spray: To prevent the Pickles in a Blanket from sticking to the air fryer basket, lightly spray the basket with cooking spray before adding the wrapped pickles.
- Serve immediately: Pickles in a Blanket are best served immediately after cooking while they are still warm and crispy. If you need to cook them in batches, keep the first batch warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining batches.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of dough can I use to make Pickles in a Blanket in the air fryer?
You can use refrigerated crescent roll dough, puff pastry, or biscuit dough to make Pickles in a Blanket in the air fryer. Choose the type of dough you prefer and follow the recipe instructions accordingly.
Can I use other types of pickles besides dill pickles?
Yes, depending on your preference, you can use other types of pickles besides dill pickles, such as sweet pickles or spicy pickles.
Can I make Pickles in a Blanket in advance?
Yes, you can assemble the Pickles in a Blanket in advance, cover them with plastic wrap, and refrigerate them until ready to cook. When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer and cook them as directed.
Can I freeze Pickles in a Blanket?
Yes, you can freeze Pickles in a Blanket. Allow them to cool completely, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, place the frozen Pickles in a Blanket in the air fryer and cook for 12-15 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
What dipping sauce goes well with Pickles in a Blanket?
Pickles in a Blanket are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a dipping sauce if desired. Ranch dressing, honey mustard, or spicy mustard are all great options to serve alongside Pickles in a Blanket.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Steakhouse Potatoes Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Air Fyrer Sour Cream Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Easy Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Garden Toasted Raviolis
- Air Fryer Babybel Cheese
- Air Fryer Maple Popcorn
Air Fryer Pickles In A Blanket
- 20 ounces whole mini dill pickles
- 1 pound center-cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- Start soaking the wooden toothpicks in a bowl of cold water for 15-20 minutes. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine black pepper and ranch seasoning in a small bowl or ramekin and mix, then evenly spread seasoning onto a shallow plate. Wrap each pickle with one piece of bacon. Roll bacon-wrapped pickles in the seasoning.
- Place pickles into the air fryer basket. Set cook time for 7 minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- While that is cooking, lightly flour a wooden cutting board and roll out the puff pastry sheet into a 10×10” square. Cut into 1-inch strips, then cut each strip in half lengthwise.
- Remove pickles from the air fryer and place them onto a wire rack lined baking sheet to cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees F, using the air fryer setting. Wrap each pickle with a strip of the puff pastry sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange pickles in a single layer evenly spaced in the basket and cook for 8 minutes, stopping once halfway through to flip.
- Serve warm with dip, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer