Air Fryer Keto Croissants — I’ve been on a keto diet for the last six months, and I have to say that it’s not that hard. One of my favorite things about eating this way is eating foods like croissants with butter again! There are many recipes online for making fathead dough in an oven or air fryer, but they all seem complicated. That’s why I’m going to share my recipe with you here today – it takes less than 10 minutes to make these delicious treats!
Are you hungry for something sweet but don’t want to break the keto diet? Try this recipe for air fryer keto croissants. These low-carb, gluten-free pastries are cooked in an air fryer and come out crispy on the outside with a light and flaky texture on the inside.
Oh, so good!
The key is coconut flour which provides a sweet base for this dessert, and it’s an excellent substitute for regular flour when you are following a keto or low-carb program.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Keto Croissants
- Coconut Flour
- Powdered Stevia
- Xantham Gum
- Baking Powder
How To Make Air Fryer Keto Croissants
Preheat the air fryer to 325 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Bowl One: Whisk the coconut flour, Stevia, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
Bowl two (microwavable): Add your mozzarella to a bowl and place it in the microwave. Microwave for about 1 minute while checking on it every 20-30 seconds. Cheese should be well melted but not burnt or dried out.
Add the mozzarella and the egg to the coconut flour mixture. Combine well and form into a ball of dough. Optional: To make the dough easier to handle, freeze for 30 minutes.
Knead the ball of dough if necessary and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Try to form as much of a circle of dough as possible.
Cut the dough into 6-8 pieces with a pizza cutter or knife. When sliced, it should resemble a sliced pizza.
Roll from the longer, wider outer edge to the pointed corner. Pinch the dough were needed to seal but be careful not to pinch too much. Bend the corners for a croissant shape. Repeat with other slices.
Brush or spoon butter onto the croissants. Air fry 5-8 minutes at 325F. If not yet golden brown, add time in two-minute increments depending on your air fryer. Cool slightly before serving.
Coconut Flour: I have found that coconut flour makes the croissants flaky and tender. They also provide sweetness to the dough.
Another alternative would be to use almond flour.
Powdered Stevia: a common Keto and Low-carb sugar alternative, it’s a great sweetener that is amazing for Keto/Low-carb baked goods. Where you get all of the sweetness but none of the carbs.
Xanthan Gum: A great way to add texture to your low-carb croissants.
ARE CROISSANTS KETO-FRIENDLY?
Croissants are a staple of French cuisine, but they’re not as ketogenic as you might think. These delicious pastries contain more carbs than protein and fat combined! This is because croissant dough contains butter and flour, both with a high carb content.
But don’t worry if you can’t live without your morning croissant fix because there’s an easy solution to make them Keto-friendly: with a few replacements of coconut flour and using Stevia instead, these are now a great low-carb and keto-friendly!
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT SWEETENER?
You can easily substitute the powdered Stevia for another low-carb and keto-friendly option such as Monk Fruit Sweetener or chicory root.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT FLOUR?
Another excellent option for this recipe would be to use almond flour. It would make for a light and tasty keto croissant.
Just like regular croissants, you can add other fillings to this recipe. Some of my favorite Keto & Low-Carb ideas are:
HOW TO STORE AIR FRYER KETO CROISSANTS
You can easily make these croissants ahead of time or prepare them, place them in the refrigerator, and bake them as you want them. An excellent idea for a hot croissant every time.
If you want to bake them as you eat them, keep them covered in the refrigerator with saran wrap, which will help to keep the dough moist.
Once you bake up the croissants in the air fryer, keep them in an airtight container, where they will last at room temperature for about 2 to 3 days.
HOW TO FREEZE CROISSANTS:
To Freeze, assemble as directed, and then place the dough onto a greased baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freezer until the croissants are frozen solid.
Then remove and place the frozen croissants into a freezer bag. They will last for about 1 to 2 months.
Place the frozen croissants into the air fryer basket, and cook at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting for 10 to 12 minutes.
MORE KETO AIR FRYER RECIPES:
- AIR FRYER SKIRT STEAK
- AIR FRYER STEAK BITES
- CHILE LIME AIR FRYER SALMON
- AIR FRYER SIRLOIN STEAKS WITH GARLIC BUTTER
Air Fryer Keto Croissants, Pin Now:
Air Fryer Keto Croissants
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered stevia (more for dessert croissants)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces mozzarella
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, salted and melted
- Preheat the air fryer to 325 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- In Bowl One: Whisk together the coconut flour, stevia, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- In Bowl two (microwavable): Add your mozzarella to a bowl and place it in the microwave. Microwave for about 1 minute while checking on it every 20-30 seconds. Cheese should be well melted but not burnt or dried out.
- Add the mozzarella and the egg to the coconut flour mixture. Combine well and form into a ball of dough. Optional: To make the dough easier to handle, freeze for 30 minutes.
- Knead the ball of dough if necessary and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Try to form as much of a circle of dough as possible.
- Cut the dough into 6-8 pieces with a pizza cutter or knife. When sliced, it should resemble a sliced pizza.
- Roll from the longer, wider outer edge to the pointed corner. Pinch the dough where needed to seal but be careful not to pinch too much. Bend the corners for a croissant shape. Repeat with other slices.
- Brush or spoon butter onto the croissants.
- Air fry 5-8 minutes at 325F. Add time in two-minute increments if not yet golden brown depending on your air fryer.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer