Are you looking for a low-carb breakfast option that provides delicious flavor and is quick and easy to make? Then our Air Fryer Keto Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels are the perfect recipe for you!
These savory bagels boast bold, spicy jalapenos and gooey cheddar cheese all in one bite. They’re made using simple ingredients and can be cooked right in your air fryer with minimal effort. Plus, they come together in just 15 minutes, so you don’t have to wait around too long before enjoying this tasty morning meal. Try out this new take on traditional bagels today and wake up ready to tackle your day!
The Best Jalapeno Bagel Recipe
Regarding breakfast options, there’s nothing quite like a fresh, homemade bagel to kickstart your day. And if you’re a fan of spicy flavors, the jalapeno bagel is a true delight for your taste buds. Bursting with a perfect balance of heat and flavor, this recipe will awaken your senses and leave you craving more.
Below, we’ll guide you through the steps to create the best jalapeno bagel that will impress even the most discerning food enthusiasts.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Keto Jalapeno Bagels
Start your morning off right with a delicious and nutritious homemade air fryer keto jalapeno cheddar bagel! This low-carb, flavorful alternative to traditional baked goods is easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card, as well the detailed ingredients list and the nutritional information.
- Keto Self-Rising Flour, homemade or store-bought
- Greek Yogurt: Plain Greek Yogurt
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded
- Jalapenos: Canned Jalapenos that have been drained and chopped.
How To Make Jalapeno Low-Carb Bagels In Air Fryer
Are you looking for a delicious and light breakfast that will give you the perfect kickstart to your day? Look no further than these jalapeno low-carb bagels! Easy to make in an air fryer, this recipe yields crunchy exterior bagels filled with a spicy-yet-sweet flavor from the jalapenos.
Below are the step-by-step directions.
Step One: Prepare Keto Jalapeno Bagel Batter
In a large mixing bowl, combine the Keto self-rising flour, yogurt, one tablespoon of the jalapenos, and ½ cup of cheese. Use a wooden spoon to combine.
Step Two: Prepare The Jalapeno Bagels
Lightly flour your surface and lightly knead the dough. Form into a round, and cut into four pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll each into a 5- to 7-inch rope, then pinch ends together to form a circle.
Step Three: Air Fry Keto Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels
I place a parchment round in my air fryer, but you don’t have to. Place the bagels into your air fryer (don’t let them touch, so you may have to do two batches). Top the bagels evenly with the remaining cheese and jalapenos. Air fry at 350 for 8-10 minutes, checking for doneness.
Pro Tips For Making Keto Jalapeno Bagels
- Choose the Right Flour Alternatives: Traditional bagel recipes call for wheat flour, but you’ll need to swap it with low-carb alternatives on a keto diet. Use almond, coconut, or a blend for the right texture and taste. These flours are higher in healthy fats and lower in carbs compared to wheat flour.
- Boost the Fiber Content: To enhance the nutritional profile of your keto jalapeno bagels, consider adding fiber-rich ingredients. Psyllium husk powder is an excellent choice as it helps bind the dough and provides a pleasantly chewy texture. Additionally, incorporating ground flaxseed or chia seeds can increase the fiber content while adding a nutty flavor.
- Control the Heat: Jalapenos are known for their spicy kick, but their temperatures vary. To ensure consistent spiciness in your bagels, taste the jalapenos before adding them to the dough. Adjust the amount according to your preferred heat level. If you prefer a milder flavor, remove the seeds and ribs, as they contain the most heat.
- Incorporate Cream Cheese: To enhance the richness and moisture of your keto jalapeno bagels, consider incorporating cream cheese into the dough. Cream cheese adds a creamy texture and helps bind the ingredients together. Mix softened cream cheese thoroughly with the other wet ingredients before adding them to the dry mixture.
- Mindful Toppings: Traditional bagels are often topped with poppy or sesame seeds. While these may be higher in carbs, you can still enjoy the same aesthetic appeal by opting for keto-friendly alternatives. Consider using flaxseeds, chia seeds, or crushed pork rinds as toppings. They not only add a crunchy texture but also boost the healthy fat content of your bagels.
- Experiment with Seasonings: Don’t be afraid to get creative with seasonings further to enhance the flavor of your keto jalapeno bagels. Add garlic powder, onion powder, or dried herbs like oregano or basil to the dough. These seasonings infuse the bagels with additional savory notes, making each bite more delightful.
- Proper Storage: Since homemade keto bagels lack the preservatives found in store-bought varieties, proper storage is crucial to maintain freshness. After baking and cooling your jalapeno bagels, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer-term storage, individually wrap and freeze them. Thaw and toast as needed to enjoy a warm and crispy keto treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are keto jalapeno bagels suitable for a low-carb diet?
Yes, keto jalapeno bagels are perfect for a low-carb diet. By using low-carb flour alternatives like almond flour, coconut flour, or homemade keto self-rising flour and incorporating keto-friendly ingredients, you can enjoy the spicy goodness of jalapeno bagels while staying within your low-carb limits.
How many net carbs are in a keto jalapeno bagel?
The exact number of net carbs in a keto jalapeno bagel can vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. However, using low-carb flour alternatives and minimal or no sugar, a typical keto jalapeno bagel may contain around 3-5 grams of net carbs per serving.
Can I freeze keto jalapeno bagels?
Absolutely! Freezing keto jalapeno bagels is a great way to have them readily available whenever you crave a tasty treat. Once the bagels have cooled completely, individually wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To enjoy, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then toast them to bring back their crispy texture.
Are jalapenos spicy in keto jalapeno bagels?
Jalapenos are known for their spiciness, but the heat level can vary. The spiciness can be controlled based on your preference for keto jalapeno bagels. If you enjoy a milder flavor, remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapenos before dicing them. This removes most of the heat while still adding the jalapeno’s distinctive flavor.
Can I customize the toppings on keto jalapeno bagels?
Absolutely! Keto jalapeno bagels can be customized with a variety of toppings. While traditional options like poppy seeds or sesame seeds may be higher in carbs, you can opt for keto-friendly alternatives. Use toppings such as flaxseeds, chia seeds, or crushed pork rinds to add texture and healthy fats to your bagels.
How do I reheat keto jalapeno bagels?
To reheat keto jalapeno bagels, slice them in half and toast them in a toaster or toaster oven until they are warm and crispy. This helps bring back the fresh-baked texture and enhances the flavor. Avoid using a microwave as it may make the bagel soggy.
Can I use other types of peppers instead of jalapenos in the recipe?
You can certainly experiment with other peppers if you prefer a different flavor profile. Use milder peppers like Poblano or Anaheim if you want a less spicy option. Alternatively, if you enjoy more heat, you can try using serrano peppers or even hotter varieties like habaneros, considering the desired level of spiciness. Adjust the amount of peppers used based on their heat level and personal preference.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Keto Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels
- 1 1/3 cup keto self-rising flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, drained and diced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Keto self-rising flour, yogurt, one tablespoon of the jalapenos, and ½ cup of cheese. Use a wooden spoon to combine.
- Lightly flour your surface and lightly knead the dough. Form into a round, and cut into four pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll each into a 5- to 7-inch rope, then pinch ends together to form a circle.
- I place a parchment round in my air fryer, but you don’t have to. Place the bagels into your air fryer (don’t let them touch, so you may have to do two batches). Top the bagels evenly with the remaining cheese and jalapenos. Air fry at 350 for 8-10 minutes, checking for doneness.
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooking Spray