Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies — How often have you been in the kitchen, looking to make a quick and easy dessert for dinner guests? Too many times to count! These blackberry hand pies are a great choice.
The blackberry hand pies are a delicious dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth! The pie crust is made with a simple pie crust. It’s then filled with blackberries (or any other fruit) and brushed with an egg wash before baking.
Once fully baked in your air fryer, you can top them off with powdered sugar or whipped cream to make them even sweeter!
This is a great way to make a homemade blackberry pie in minutes! With only a few ingredients, you can have these anytime!
They are so good! It makes for a fabulous quick snack or dessert! My kids love them!
If you have been looking for even more Air Fryer Dessert Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER SUGAR COOKIES, AIR FRYER APPLE PLUM TARTS, AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE HAND PIES, and AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE DANISH.
What Are Hand Pies?
Hand pies are a small, round pastry and can be filled with sweet or savory ingredients. They are usually made in a triangle, with one point pinched together to create the crust.
The dough typically consists of a traditional pie crust. Common fillings include fruit like apples or rhubarb, vegetables like potatoes, meats like bacon bits; cheese such as sharp cheddar, and even chocolate chips for an indulgent treat!
Hand pies make perfect finger food at any party because they’re easy to eat without needing utensils (and you’ll never run out of napkins!).
What Are Blackberry Hand Pies?
What are blackberry hand pies? You may be wondering. They’re a delicious and sweet treat that is perfect for the warm summer months! The crust of these pastries is made from a simple pie crust.
Then, it’s filled with a sweet batch of blackberries (frozen or fresh. Finally, the top crust is sealed together by brushing on an egg wash before baking them in the air fryer until golden brown. When you bite into one of these yummy pies, you’ll have a burst of tart blackberries and rich pie filling flavor in every bite!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies
- Refrigerated or Homemade Pie Crust
- Fresh or Frozen Blackberries
- Granulated Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Lemon Juice
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies
Rinse the blackberries and place them on a paper towel-covered plate for an hour. (This will help dry out the berries.) When they are dry, cut the berries in half before placing them in a bowl; fold in the sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, and flour, and mix well to coat the blackberries.
Add the blackberry mixture to a saucepan, and over medium-high heat, simmer until the blackberry mixture is thickened. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the blackberries until smooth.
Roll out your dough. Using a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass, cut the circles out (about 3 to 4 inches), and then add about two tablespoons of pie filling to the center of the dough.
Using a fork, seal the edges. Then, using a pastry brush, brush with the egg wash.
Spray your basket with cooking spray, then set your Blackberry Hand Pies into the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 380 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
While the pies are cooking, make the icing in a small bowl. Add the powdered sugar and milk to a small bowl and mix well. Then drizzle over the blackberry hand pies right before serving.
Pro Tips For Making Blackberry Hand Pies In Air Fryer
Blackberry hand pies are a delectable treat, and making them in an air fryer can be both convenient and yield excellent results. Here are some pro tips to ensure your hand pies come out perfect every time:
- Perfect the Pastry: Use cold butter and ice water when making your dough. This ensures a flaky crust. If you’re short on time, store-bought pie crust can also work wonders.
- Prevent Soggy Bottoms: Consider lightly pre-cooking your blackberry filling on the stovetop. This will reduce the amount of juice released during the air frying process, ensuring your pies aren’t soggy.
- Don’t Overfill: While it’s tempting to add as much filling as possible, overfilling can cause the pies to burst open during cooking. A spoon or two of the blackberry mixture should suffice.
- Seal Edges Firmly: Press the edges of your hand pies firmly with a fork to ensure they are well sealed. This helps prevent any leakage of the filling.
- Pierce the Tops: Before air frying, pierce the top of each hand pie with a fork or knife. This allows steam to escape and helps prevent the pies from bursting.
- Space Them Out: Don’t overcrowd your air fryer. Hand pies need space for the hot air to circulate properly. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to cook them in batches.
- Temperature Check: Set your air fryer to a medium heat setting, around 350°F (175°C). Cooking at too high of a temperature can cause the exterior to brown too quickly before the interior is done.
- Brush with Egg Wash: For a golden and shiny finish, brush the top of each pie with an egg wash (a beaten egg mixed with a tablespoon of water) before air frying.
- Keep an Eye on Them: Hand pies can brown quickly in an air fryer. It’s a good idea to check them halfway through the suggested cooking time to ensure they’re not overcooking.
- Let Them Cool: Once cooked, transfer the hand pies to a cooling rack. This will keep the bottoms crispy and prevent them from becoming soggy from trapped steam.
- Dust & Serve: For an extra touch of sweetness, consider dusting your cooled hand pies with a sprinkle of powdered sugar before serving.
With these pro tips in hand, your air fryer blackberry hand pies are sure to be a hit, offering a delectable combination of crisp pastry and juicy, sweet-tart filling. Enjoy!
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that you can use to replace traditional frying in the home. Air frying uses hot air to cook food instead of oil, which reduces fat and calories. Here are some tips on how an air fryer works!
Air Fryers use rapid, continuous motion with heated coils to circulate hot air around the food, cooking quickly without oil or fats. Air Fryers generally have a small capacity for cooking but can still cook large batches of fries or other favorites in just minutes.
Can I bake hand pies in the oven?
Hand pies are a delicious snack to make for friends and family. They’re also easy to make! But can you bake them in the oven?
Remember the rule of thumb. Generally, anything you make in the Air Fryer can be made in the oven and vice versa.
Make them as the recipe directs, then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, and cook until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Use Any Air Fryer: This recipe will work in several Air Fryers, including the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Vortex, Instant Crisp Lid, and Mealthy Lid. The cooking time will change based on your air fryer, so make sure that you check on the Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies as you cook them up!
Fresh or Frozen Blackberries? You can use either. If you use frozen blackberries, make sure they are thawed and blotted for extra liquid. Otherwise, you will end up with a mushy hand pie.
Canned Pie Filing? Yes, you can use canned blackberry pie filling! The recipe will work the same.
More Air Fryer Pie Recipes:
- AIR FRYER APPLE PLUM TARTS
- AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE HAND PIES
- EASY AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BAKED APPLES
- AIR FRYER CHERRY HAND PIES
- AIR FRYER MINI CHERRY PIE
- EASY AIR FRYER CHERRY CRUMB PIE
- AIR FRYER LEMON PIE
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies
blackberry hand pies:
- 1 package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 egg, beaten–egg wash
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Rinse the blackberries and place them on a paper towel-covered plate for an hour. (This will help dry out the berries) When they are dry, cut the berries in half before placing them in a bowl, fold in the sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, and flour, mix well to coat the blackberries.
- Add the blackberry mixture in a saucepan, and over medium-high heat, simmer until the blackberry mixture is thickened. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the blackberries until they are smooth.
- Roll out your dough, using a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass, cut the circles out (about 3 to 4 inches), and then add about 2 tablespoons of pie filling in the center of the dough.
- In a small cup, mix the egg with a fork. This will be the egg wash.
- Using a fork, seal the edges. Then using a pastry brush, brush with the egg wash.
- Spray your basket with cooking spray, and then set your Blackberry Hand Pies into the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 380 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the pies are cooking, make the icing in a small bowl: Add the powdered sugar and milk to a small bowl and mix well. Then drizzle over the blackberry hand pies right before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer