Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies — Are you looking for an easy and delicious dessert that will wow your guests?
Look no further than these air fryer cherry hand pies. Not only are they beautiful to behold, but the combination of sweet-tart cherries encased in buttery puff pastry is divine. Furthermore, you can make them quickly and easily with just a few simple ingredients and an air fryer – there’s barely any mess! So, if you’re ready to bypass laborious baking time for a delectable treat, read on as we guide you through making these yummy delights!
The Best Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pie Recipe
Sweet, luscious cherries enveloped in a flaky pastry and cooked to golden perfection—that’s what awaits you with these Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies! Gone are the days when making hand pies was a lengthy process.
Thanks to the air fryer, you can whip up these delightful desserts in a fraction of the time without sacrificing any flavor or texture. These cherry hand pies will become a family favorite in no time, perfect for a quick treat. Let’s dive into the magic of air frying and give this classic dessert a modern twist!
Can You Cook Hand Pies In Air Fryer?
Yes! Cooking hand pies in an air fryer is possible and incredibly convenient. The air fryer circulates hot air around the pies, ensuring they cook evenly and achieve a delightful golden brown crust without deep frying. This method speeds up the cooking process and offers a healthier alternative, as it uses minimal oil.
Whether you’re making cherry, apple, or any other filling, the air fryer ensures your hand pies come out crispy on the outside and deliciously warm on the inside. This is a perfect dessert that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and makes a special treat in your child’s lunch box or for Valentine’s Day!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chery Hand Pies
Dive into the delightful world of Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies! These bite-sized treats are perfect for satisfying those sweet cravings, offering the perfect combination of crispy pastry and juicy cherry filling.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Pre-made pie dough or Refrigerated Pie Crusts: The foundation of our hand pies, pre-made pie dough offers a convenient start, ensuring you get a flaky crust without the hassle of using a homemade pie crust.
- Cherry pie filling: The star of the show, cherry pie filling provides that tangy and sweet sensation, making every bite a burst of fruity goodness.
- Egg wash (1 beaten egg with 1 tbsp water): Essential for giving the hand pies that beautiful golden-brown finish, the egg wash acts as a sealing agent and adds a sheen to the baked pies.
- Granulated sugar: A light sprinkle before air frying enhances the crust’s sweetness and texture, complementing the cherry filling inside.
- Powdered sugar (optional for dusting): For those who like extra sweetness, powdered sugar dusted over the baked pies makes for a visually appealing and tasty finish.
How To Make Cherry Hand Pies In Air Fryer
With a golden, flaky crust and a warm, gooey cherry filling, these hand pies are quick to make and disappear! Follow our step-by-step directions to achieve pie perfection in your air fryer.
Preparation: Start by laying out all your ingredients and ensuring a clean workspace.
Dough: Roll out your pre-made pie crust with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface and cut out a large circle with a round cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or drinking glass.
Filling: Mix your cherry filling in a bowl to ensure it’s not too liquid. If using canned cherry pie filling, it can be used directly.
Assemble: Place a spoonful of cherry pie filling in the center of half the circles, ensuring not to overfill. Place the other half of the circles on top and seal the edges by crimping with a fork.
Air Fryer Preparation: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for a cook time of 3-4 minutes. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with non-stick baking spray or brush with olive oil.
Cooking: Place pies into the air fryer basket, ensuring they aren’t touching. Set the cooking time for 5-8 minutes or until the pies are golden brown.
Cool and Serve: Once cooked, carefully remove the pies from the air fryer and let them cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. If desired, dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with sugar glaze, and serve warm.
Pro Tips For Cooking Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Always preheat your air fryer for a few minutes before adding the hand pies. This ensures even cooking and a perfectly crispy crust.
- Don’t Overcrowd: Place only as many hand pies in the air fryer basket as possible without touching them. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and less crispy results.
- Seal Edges Properly: Use a fork to crimp the edges of the hand pies securely. This gives them a decorative finish and helps prevent the filling from oozing out.
- Ventilation is Key: Use a knife to make a small slit or two on the top of each pie. This will allow steam to escape and prevent the pies from becoming too soggy inside.
- Rotate for Even Cooking: If your air fryer cooks unevenly, consider rotating the pies or swapping their positions halfway through the cooking time.
- Monitor Closely: All air fryers can vary slightly in temperature. Keep an eye on your hand pies, especially the first time you make them, to avoid overcooking.
- Brush with Egg Wash: Before cooking, brush each hand pie with a pastry brush with an egg wash (a beaten egg mixed with a tablespoon of water) for that golden-brown finish. For added flavor, add coarse sugar.
- Use Parchment Paper: If you’re concerned about the hand pies sticking to the air fryer basket, consider using parchment paper liners designed for air fryers.
- Let Cool Slightly: Once cooked, allow the hand pies to cool for a few minutes. The filling will be extremely hot right out of the fryer.
- Experiment with Fillings: While cherry is a classic choice, don’t hesitate to mix things up. Try different fruit fillings or even a mix of multiple fruits for a unique twist.
FAQ’s Air Fryer Hand Pies
Can I use other fruit fillings for these hand pies?
Yes! You can swap out cherry filling for apple, blueberry, or any other fruit pie filling you prefer.
How long can I store leftover cherry hand pies?
When stored in an airtight container, these pies will be kept at room temperature for about 2-3 days. If refrigerated, they can last up to a week.
Can I use homemade cherry filling instead of store-bought?
Yes, homemade cherry filling can be used and might even add a more authentic and rich flavor to your hand pies. We used a can of cherry pie filling today for a quick dessert.
Why is my pie crust not getting crispy in the air fryer?
Make sure you’re not overcrowding the air fryer, as this can cause uneven cooking. Also, ensure the air fryer is preheated before adding the pies.
Can these hand pies be frozen?
Certainly! Freeze the pies on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer them to a freezer bag. You can cook them straight from the freezer when you’re ready to eat. Just add a few more minutes to the cooking time.
How do I prevent the pie filling from leaking out during cooking?
Make sure to securely seal the edges of your hand pies using a fork or by crimping the edges with your fingers. Also, avoid overfilling the pies.
Can I brush the tops of the hand pies with something other than egg?
If you prefer a dairy-free or vegan option, brush the tops with almond or coconut milk for a golden finish. Alternatively, melted butter can also give a lovely golden sheen.
Do I need to let the hand pies cool before eating?
Letting the pies cool for a few minutes after they come out of the air fryer is recommended. This helps the filling set a bit and prevents burning your mouth. However, they are best enjoyed warm!
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER BEST CHERRY TURNOVERS
- EASY AIR FRYER S’MORES BANANA BOATS
- AIR FRYER APPLE CHEDDAR BACON SCONES
- AIR FRYER CHERRY CRUMB PIE
Diving into the world of air fryer cooking unveils so many delightful possibilities, and these flaky cherry hand pies are a testament to that magic. Perfectly crispy on the outside with a heartwarming, juicy cherry filling inside, these pastries capture the essence of traditional baking but with a modern twist.
The ease and speed of the air fryer marry beautifully with the age-old charm of hand pies, making every bite a nostalgic yet innovative experience. So, the next time you’re craving a sweet treat or want to impress guests with a dessert that feels familiar and new, reach for this recipe. Your palate and your loved ones will undoubtedly thank you.
Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies
- 2 sheets Pie Dough
- 1 cup Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar, Optional – For dusting
- Begin by preheating your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out your pie dough and cut into circles using a large cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Place a tablespoon of cherry pie filling in the center of half of the circles.
- Cover each filled circle with an empty dough circle and crimp the edges using a fork.
- Brush the tops of each pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pies in the air fryer basket, ensuring they don’t overlap.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar if desired
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, optional
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooling: Allow the cherry hand pies to fully cool on a wire rack before storing to prevent them from getting soggy.
- Short-term: Place cooled pies in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Refrigeration: For longer shelf life, store the pies in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: To freeze, wrap each cooled pie individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a zip-top freezer bag. Label with the date and store for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature, and reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes to refresh the crispness of the crust if desired.
- Reheating: If pies have been refrigerated or frozen, you can reheat them in the air fryer at 300°F for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through. Ensure they are properly wrapped or stored to avoid drying out.