Air Fryer Bison Burgers — Craving a juicy burger without the guilt? Look no further than air fryer bison burgers!
This recipe is not only mouth-wateringly delicious, but it’s also surprisingly healthy and easy to make.
Bison meat is naturally low in fat, making it an ideal choice for those looking for a lean ground beef alternative. Paired with savory spices and garlic, these burgers will soon become your favorite summer meal – plus, you don’t need to fire up the barbecue! Read on, and let’s dig into how quickly you can whip up this fantastic dinner.
What Is Ground Bison Meat?
Ground bison meat is a type of meat that is obtained from grinding the muscle meat of bison. Bison meat tastes like beef but is lean meat and has a slightly sweeter and richer flavor. Bison meat is also a healthier option than beef, as it is lower in fat and calories and higher in protein.
Ground bison meat is commonly used in making burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, and other ground meat dishes. It can be seasoned and cooked in various ways and pairs well with various flavors and spices.
When purchasing ground bison meat, looking for high-quality meat that is lean and free from antibiotics and hormones is essential. Ground bison meat can be found at many grocery stores, specialty meat markets, and online retailers.
The Best Bison Burger Air Fryer
The bison burger is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional beef burgers, with a slightly sweet and rich flavor. Cooking bison burgers in an air fryer is a quick and easy way to make them, and it results in a juicy and tender patty with a crispy exterior.
Below will explore how to make the best bison burger in an air fryer, including tips for seasoning and cooking the patty and suggestions for toppings and sauces. Whether you’re a fan of classic cheeseburgers or prefer something more adventurous, the bison burger in the air fryer is an excellent alternative for anyone looking for a healthy and delicious meal.
Why Cook A Bison Burger In Air Fryer?
Cooking a bison burger in an air fryer has several advantages, including:
- Healthier Option: Bison meat is leaner than beef, making it a healthier choice. Cooking the bison burger in an air fryer requires little to no oil, making it an even healthier option.
- Evenly Cooked: The hot air in the air fryer circulates around the burger patty, cooking it evenly on all sides. This means you won’t end up with an overcooked or undercooked burger.
- Crispy Exterior: The air fryer gives the bison burger a crispy exterior without needing to fry it in oil. This makes the burger healthier and also more delicious.
- Quick and Easy: Cooking a bison burger in an air fryer is quick and easy. It takes only a few minutes to cook a burger patty in an air fryer, much faster than cooking it on a traditional grill.
- Versatile: The bison burger can be seasoned and customized to your liking and served with various toppings and sauces.
Cooking a bison burger in an air fryer is a convenient and healthy way to enjoy a flavorful and protein-packed meal. The air fryer gives the burger a crispy exterior while keeping it juicy and tender. It is a must-try for a healthier and more delicious burger option.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Bison Burger Recipe
Are you ready to take your burgers to the next level with Air Fryer Bison Burgers? If so, you’ve landed on the right page! Today we will provide all the necessary information to make this delicious dish. From what type of bison meat is best for making a burger to which ingredients are essential for success (and why), we have it covered here! So what are you waiting for – let’s start learning how to make a fantastic air fryer bison burger today!
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutrition information.
- Ground Bison: Use fresh ground bison meat.
- Seasoning and Spice: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Worcestershire sauce Sauce, Liquid Smoke. Liquid Smoke adds excellent flavor!
- Hamburger Buns: Or, for more flavor, Brioche Buns.
- Toppings: Use any of your favorite toppings!
How To Make An Air-Fried Bison Burger
You can have a great alternative to traditional burgers or cheeseburgers with only a few simple steps.
Step One: Prepare Your Bison Burger Patties
Combine the ground meat, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and onion powder in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Divide the mixture into four equal hamburger patties, and form each portion into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
Step Two: Air Fry The Bison Burgers
Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C), using an air fryer setting, for 3-5 minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the burger patties in the basket in a single layer, making sure they don’t touch each other. Set the Cook time for 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. If you prefer more well-done burgers, you can cook them for 2-3 minutes.
Remove when the bison burgers reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F using a meat thermometer.
Step Three: Serving
Once the burgers are cooked and browned on the outside, remove them from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula. Let the burgers cool for a few minutes before serving, and serve with your favorite toppings.
Pro Tips For The Best Air Fryer Bison Burgers
Here are some pro tips for making the best air fryer bison burgers:
- Use Lean Bison: Choose lean ground bison with a low-fat content to make your burgers healthier and more flavorful.
- Add Moisture: Bison meat can be pretty lean, so adding moisture is essential to prevent the burgers from drying out in the air fryer. You can do this by adding grated vegetables like zucchini or carrots or by using a binding ingredient like breadcrumbs or egg.
- Don’t Overwork the Meat: Overworking the meat when forming the burger patties can make them tough and dry. Mix the meat until the seasonings are evenly distributed, then gently and loosely form the patties.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Air Fryer: Leave enough space between the burger patties in the air fryer basket to allow the hot air to circulate them evenly. Overcrowding can result in uneven cooking and can also cause the burgers to stick together.
- Season the Patties Liberally: Bison meat has a slightly sweet and rich flavor that pairs well with savory seasonings. To enhance their flavor, season patties liberally with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Check the Temperature: Check the internal temperature of the bison burgers with a meat thermometer to ensure they are fully cooked. The temperature should reach 160°F (71°C) for ground bison.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be able to make the best air fryer bison burgers, with juicy and flavorful patties that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Best Toppings For Bison Burgers
Bison burgers are delicious on their own, but adding your favorite burger toppings can elevate the flavor and texture of the burger. Here are some of the best toppings for bison burgers:
- Cheese: A slice of cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack, can add extra flavor and creaminess to the bison burger. You can also add a cue of cheese to the center of each patty before air frying.
- Grilled Onions: Grilled onions are sweet and caramelized onions, and they pair well with the rich flavor of bison meat. Try my recipe for air fryer sauteed onions for even more flavor! Even dice red onion for more flavor!
- Bacon: Crispy bacon adds smoky and salty flavors to the bison burger and a nice crunch.
- Avocado: Sliced avocado adds creaminess and freshness to the bison burger. It’s also a healthy option.
- Lettuce and Tomato: Adding fresh lettuce and tomato to the bison burger can give it a nice crunch and a pop of color.
- Sauces: Sauces like barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, BBQ Sauce, Dijon mustard, or aioli can add extra flavor and moisture to the bison burger. Choose a sauce that complements the flavors of the bison meat.
Adding these toppings to your bison burger can create a delicious and satisfying meal that will please your taste buds. Experiment with different combinations of toppings to find your favorite bison burger recipe.
How To Store Leftover Bison Burgers
If you have leftover bison burgers, you can store them in the refrigerator or freezer to keep them fresh for later:
- Refrigerator: Let the bison burger cool to room temperature, then place the leftover burgers in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Wrap each leftover bison burger in plastic wrap or foil, then place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. They can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How To Reheat Bison Burgers
When ready to enjoy your leftover bison burgers, reheat them in the oven, stovetop, or air fryer. Here’s how:
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the burgers on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until heated.
- Stovetop: Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil or butter to the skillet, and then add the burgers. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place the burgers in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-6 minutes or until heated.
By storing your leftover bison burgers properly and reheating them using one of these methods, you can enjoy a tasty and protein-packed meal again and again.
Favorite Side Dishes For Serve With Flavorful Bison Burgers
Bison burgers are a delicious and healthy meal option that pairs well with various side dishes. Here are some of the best side dishes to serve with bison burgers:
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries: Sweet potato fries are a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional french fries. They’re also a great source of fiber and vitamins.
- Air Fryer Grilled Vegetables: Grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and onions are a healthy and flavorful side dish that complements the rich flavor of bison meat.
- Coleslaw: Coleslaw is a refreshing and crunchy side dish that contrasts nicely with the bison burger. You can make it with cabbage, carrots, and a tangy dressing.
- Air Fryer Baked Beans: Baked beans are a classic side dish that pairs well with burgers. They’re also a good source of protein and fiber.
- Salad: A fresh salad is a healthy and light side dish that balances the bison burger’s richness. You can make a simple green salad with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber or a more elaborate salad with mixed greens, fruits, and nuts.
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes: Roasted potatoes are a classic side dish that is easy to make and go well with burgers. For extra flavor, you can season them with herbs, garlic, and olive oil.
By serving these side dishes with bison burgers, you can create a balanced and satisfying meal that will please your taste buds and provide your body with essential nutrients.
Where To Buy Bison Burgers
Bison burgers can be purchased at grocery stores, specialty meat markets, and online retailers. Here are some places where you can buy bison burgers:
- Local Grocery Stores: Many grocery stores carry bison meat for burgers, including ground bison. Check your local grocery store’s meat section or ask the butcher if bison meat is available. Whole Foods usually carry frozen Bison burgers.
- Specialty Meat Markets: Specialty meat markets often carry a wider variety of meats, including bison. Look for a local butcher shop or specialty meat market specializing in natural and organic meats.
- Online Retailers: Many online retailers specialize in selling bison meat, including bison burgers. These retailers often offer a more comprehensive selection of cuts and varieties of bison meat and can ship them directly to your doorstep.
When purchasing bison burgers, look for high-quality meat that is lean and free from antibiotics and hormones.
How To Cook Frozen Bison Burgers In Air Fryer
Cooking frozen bison burgers in an air fryer is a convenient and quick way to make a delicious and healthy meal. Here’s how to cook frozen bison burgers in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the frozen bison burgers from their packaging and place them in the air fryer basket. Make sure they are not touching each other.
- Cook the bison burgers in the air fryer for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
- Check the internal temperature of the burgers with a meat thermometer. The temperature should reach 160°F (71°C) for ground bison.
- If desired, season the burgers with salt and pepper before serving.
- Remove the bison burgers from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula, and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
By cooking frozen bison burgers in an air fryer, you can have a delicious and healthy meal ready in just a few minutes. The air fryer cooks the burgers evenly, giving them a crispy exterior while keeping them juicy and tender.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Bison Meatballs
- Air Fryer Juicy Cheeseburger
- Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Bison Steaks
- Air Fryer Burgers
- Easy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
Air Fryer Bison Burgers
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 4 Hamburger Rolls
Toppings, any of your favorite burger toppings
- Combine the ground meat, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and onion powder in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Divide the mixture into four equal hamburger patties, and form each portion into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C), using an air fryer setting, for 3-5 minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the burger patties in the basket in a single layer, making sure they don't touch each other. Set the Cook time for 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. If you prefer more well-done burgers, you can cook them for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove when the bison burgers reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F using a meat thermometer.
- Once the burgers are cooked and browned on the outside, remove them from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula. Let the burgers cool for a few minutes before serving, and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Air Fryer