Tantalize your taste buds with this delicious Air Fryer Bananas Foster French Toast! This sweet and savory morning treat combines the classic flavors of bananas foster and golden-brown French toast for a showstopping breakfast or brunch.
Not only does it satisfy your tastebuds, but it also uses an air fryer to make things easier in the kitchen. With this recipe, you can get all that indulgent flavor without spending hours at the stove–it’s a win-win situation! So let’s dive into how to craft this scrumptious dish in no time.
What Is Banana Foster French Toast?
Bananas Foster French toast is a delightful twist on classic French toast, inspired by the famous New Orleans dessert called Bananas Foster. It combines the flavors of caramelized bananas, butter, brown sugar, and rum to create a decadent and indulgent breakfast or brunch dish.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Bananas Foster French Toast
Bananas Foster French Toast is a delicious way to start the day, and an air fryer makes it easier than ever! To make this classic breakfast recipe even better, using the air fryer reduces your cooking time and adds a unique flavor that you won’t find with traditional methods. Read on to get all the ingredients needed for Air Fryer Bananas Foster French Toast!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list is below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Brioche Bread or Challah Bread
- Egg: Use a large, room-temperature egg
- Banana: Use ripe bananas, with some blackening, for added sweetness
- Milk: Use whole milk, oat milk, almond milk, or dairy-free alternative
- Seasonings and Spices: Granulated Sugar, Kosher Salt, Allspice, Pure Vanilla Extract, and Ground Cinnamon.
How To Make Banana Foster French Toast In Air Fryer
If you’re looking for an easy yet delicious Sunday brunch to treat your family or friends, look no further than easy-to-make banana foster French toast in the air fryer! Creating this amazing dish can be done with minimal ingredients, time, and effort–you’ll have beautiful golden-brown French toast in minutes.
With layers of sweet caramelized bananas and creamy custard soaking into the griddled brioche slices, it’s a drool-worthy indulgence that will surely please everyone at the table! Read on for our step-by-step guide on making Banana Foster French Toast in Air Fryer without breaking a sweat.
Step One: Prepare The French Toast Batter
Start by spraying the air fryer basket or cooking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or brush with olive oil. Add the eggs, milk, pure vanilla extract, kosher salt, ground cinnamon, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
Step Two: Coat The Bread With The French Toast Batter
Dip the bread slices into the batter, and let the bread soak for about 30 seconds so the bread fully absorbs the batter. Shake the bread to remove any excess batter. Place the coated bread into the air fryer basket or in the baking pan.
Step Three: Air Fry
Air Fry at 320 degrees F for 6-8 minutes, flipping the bread halfway during cooking.
Step Four: Prepare The Topping
In a small skillet, add the butter, melt the butter over low-medium heat, add the brown sugar, and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved. Add the banana slices into the pan, then stir until the bananas are coated in the caramel sauce.
Step Five: Serving
Place the French toast after it’s cooked on a plate, spoon the banana mixture over the French toast, and add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
Pro Tips For Making Banana Foster French Toast
To help you achieve the best results when making Banana Foster French toast, here are some pro tips:
- Use Thick-Cut Bread: Opt for thick slices of bread like brioche or challah. The sturdy texture of these breads helps prevent them from becoming soggy when soaked in the egg mixture.
- Ripen Bananas: Ensure your bananas are ripe but not overly mushy. They should be sweet and have a firm texture to hold their shape when cooked.
- Caramelize the Bananas Properly: When caramelizing the bananas, allow them to cook until they become golden and slightly caramelized. This will enhance their flavor and sweetness. Avoid overcooking them to maintain some texture.
- Soak Bread Thoroughly: Make sure to soak each slice of bread thoroughly in the egg mixture. This ensures that the flavors and moisture penetrate the bread evenly.
- Serve Immediately: Banana Foster French toast is best enjoyed fresh and warm. Serve it immediately after cooking to retain the ideal texture and flavors.
- Customize Toppings: Feel free to customize the toppings to your preference. With the caramelized bananas, add whipped cream, a sprinkle of chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts), or a drizzle of maple syrup for extra indulgence.
Following these pro tips, elevate your Banana Foster French toast to a delectable, impressive breakfast or brunch treat. Enjoy the rich flavors and delightful combination of caramelized bananas and sweet, custardy French toast.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of bread?
While brioche or challah bread is commonly used for Banana Foster French toast, you can experiment with other bread varieties. Thick-cut bread with a sturdy texture, like French bread or Texas toast, can work well too. Just ensure the bread slices can hold up to soaking and cooking without becoming overly mushy.
Can I make Banana Foster French toast ahead of time?
Banana Foster French toast is best enjoyed fresh and warm. However, you can prepare some components in advance. You can slice the bananas and prepare the caramel sauce beforehand, but cook the French toast right before serving to ensure it retains its desired texture.
Can I make a non-alcoholic version of Banana Foster French toast?
Absolutely! If you prefer a non-alcoholic version, omit the rum or replace it with a non-alcoholic rum extract or additional liquid, such as water or orange juice. This will still provide flavor without the alcohol content.
Can I use frozen bananas?
It’s best to use fresh bananas for Banana Foster French toast. Frozen bananas can release excess moisture and change the texture of the caramelized bananas. However, if you’re using frozen bananas, make sure to thaw and drain them well before caramelizing.
Can I substitute the brown sugar?
Brown sugar adds a rich caramel flavor to the dish, but if you prefer, you can use granulated sugar instead. Keep in mind that the flavor profile may differ slightly.
Can I adjust the sweetness level?
Absolutely! You can adjust the sweetness to your liking. If you prefer a sweeter dish, increase the amount of sugar in the caramel sauce or add a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. On the other hand, if you prefer a less sweet version, reduce the amount of sugar or opt for a sugar substitute.
Can I add additional spices to the French toast?
Yes, you can add spices like nutmeg or cardamom to the egg mixture for extra flavor. Experiment with different spices to suit your taste preferences and complement the dish’s flavors.
Can I make Banana Foster French toast vegan?
Yes, you can make a vegan version of Banana Foster French toast. Use plant-based milk (almond, soy, or coconut) instead of dairy milk, and substitute the eggs with a vegan egg replacer or mashed bananas. Use vegan butter or oil for cooking and ensure your vegan bread is vegan-friendly.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER HOMEMADE PIZZA ROLLS
- AIR FRYER FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- HOW TO MAKE FROZEN HAMBURGERS IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER TWICE-BAKED SWEET POTATOES
- AIR FRYER BACON AND CRAB ROLLS
- EASY AIR FRYER COPYCAT PANERA PEPPERONI FLATBREAD
Air Fryer Bananas Foster French Toast
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 loaf Challah Bread, cut into 6-½ inch slices
Banana Foster Topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large banana , sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Start by spraying the air fryer basket or cooking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or brush with olive oil. Add the eggs, milk, pure vanilla extract, kosher salt, ground cinnamon, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Dip the bread slices into the batter, and let the bread soak for about 30 seconds so the bread fully absorbs the batter. Shake the bread to remove any excess batter. Place the coated bread into the air fryer basket or in the baking pan.
- Air Fry at 320 degrees F for 6-8 minutes, flipping the bread halfway during cooking.
- In a small skillet, add the butter, melt the butter over low-medium heat, add the brown sugar, and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved. Add the banana slices into the pan, then stir until the bananas are coated in the caramel sauce.
- Place the French toast after it's cooked on a plate, spoon the banana mixture over the French toast, and add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional