These pillowy, soft, melt-in-your-mouth treats, topped with creamy frosting and colorful sprinkles, are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth or bringing joy to any gathering.
Valentine’s Day Lofthouse Cookie Recipe
Why You Will Love Heart-Shaped Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies!
You will fall in love with these Heart-Shaped Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies for many delightful reasons:
- Adorable and Festive: The heart shape makes these cookies irresistibly charming and perfect for expressing love and affection. They’re ideal for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, or any occasion where you want to add a touch of sweetness and love.
- Unmatched Softness: Known for their pillowy texture, Lofthouse Style Cookies are incredibly soft and tender. Each bite is a melt-in-your-mouth experience that’s hard to resist.
- Customizable Frosting and Sprinkles: The frosting can be tinted in shades of pink, red, or any color you choose. For a personalized and festive touch, top them with sprinkles, sugar pearls, or edible glitter.
- Enjoyable Baking Experience: Whether you’re an experienced baker or trying your hand at cookie-making for the first time, these cookies are straightforward and fun. Decorating them can be a joyful and creative activity for the whole family.
- Perfect for Gifting: These heart-shaped cookies make wonderful gifts. Pack them in a pretty box with a bow, and you have a delightful and thoughtful homemade present for someone special.
- Versatility in Flavor: While they are delicious as classic sugar cookies, you can easily adapt the recipe with lemon zest, almond extract, or vanilla bean for different flavor profiles.
These Heart-Shaped Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies are not just treats; they’re a gesture of love and a celebration of special moments. Their cuteness, delicious taste and the joy of making them will surely win everyone’s heart!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- All-Purpose Flour: The foundation of your cookies, all-purpose flour gives them structure and ensures they hold their heart shape while maintaining a soft texture.
- Baking Powder: This leavening agent is essential for helping the cookies rise, giving them their signature light and fluffy Lofthouse texture.
- Salt: A pinch of salt balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor of the cookies, making them irresistibly delicious.
- Unsalted Butter: Softened unsalted butter is key for a rich, creamy taste. It also contributes to the tender crumbs of the cookies.
- Granulated Sugar: This sweetens the cookies and gives them a classic, beloved sugar cookie taste, perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
- Eggs: Eggs bind the ingredients together, contributing to the cookies’ richness and soft, cake-like texture.
- Vanilla Extract: A splash of vanilla extract adds a warm, aromatic flavor, making the cookies delectable.
- Sour Cream: The secret to the cookies’ moist, soft texture. Sour cream adds a subtle tang and ensures the cookies aren’t overly dry.
- For the Frosting:
- Powdered Sugar: Forms the base of your frosting, offering a smooth, spreadable consistency and sweet flavor.
- Butter: Butter in the frosting provides a rich, creamy base, complementing the softness of the cookies.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds flavor depth to your frosting, enhancing its overall taste.
- Milk or Cream: Used to adjust the frosting’s consistency to be perfectly spreadable and smooth.
- Food Coloring: Pink or red food coloring will bring your cookies a festive Valentine’s Day vibe.
- Sprinkles: Heart-shaped or Valentine-themed sprinkles add a fun, decorative touch, perfect for the occasion.
Prep Work: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175°C)—line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Combine Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
Add Eggs and Vanilla: Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract. Ensure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
Mix in Sour Cream: Add the sour cream and mix until well combined.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until incorporated. Avoid overmixing.
Form the Cookies: Roll the dough into balls or use a cookie scoop. Gently flatten each ball to form a thick disc. Place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space between each cookie.
Bake: Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are set but not browning. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Frosting: While cookies cool, beat butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add a few drops of food coloring to reach the desired color.
Decorate: Once cookies are completely cool, spread the frosting on each cookie and add sprinkles.
Serve and Enjoy: Let the frosting set for a bit, then serve these beautiful, soft Lofthouse-style cookies to your loved ones.
- Lemon Kissed Cookies: Include the zest of one lemon in the cookie dough and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in the frosting. This adds a fresh, tangy flavor, perfect for those who love a hint of citrus.
- Almond Delight: Substitute vanilla with almond extract in cookie dough and frosting. Top with slivered almonds for a nutty, elegant flavor.
- Strawberry Bliss: Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh strawberries into your dough for a fruity twist. For an enhanced berry flavor, you can also use strawberry extract in the frosting.
- Red Velvet Variation: Incorporate 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and red food coloring into the dough for a Valentine’s Day classic. Cream cheese frosting works wonderfully with red velvet.
- Coconut Dream: Mix 1/2 cup of shredded coconut into the dough and sprinkle toasted coconut on the frosted cookies for a tropical, nutty flavor.
- Cinnamon Spice: Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dough for a warm, spiced flavor. This pairs well with a simple vanilla or cream cheese frosting.
- Marble Frosted Cookies: Divide your frosting into two batches; tint one with red or pink food coloring and leave the other white. Swirl them together on each cookie for a marbled effect.
- Sprinkle Bonanza: For an extra festive touch, mix sprinkles directly into the cookie dough before baking.
- Espresso Infused: Add 1 tablespoon of espresso powder to the dough for a subtle coffee flavor, complementing the cookie’s sweetness and frosting.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: For the best results, ensure your butter, eggs, and sour cream are at room temperature before you start. This helps the ingredients blend more smoothly for a uniform dough.
- Do Not Overmix: When combining your wet and dry ingredients, mix just until incorporated. Overmixing can lead to tough cookies.
- Chill the Dough: If you have time, chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling and cutting can make it easier to handle and help the cookies maintain their shape while baking.
- Uniform Thickness: Roll or press your cookies to an even thickness to ensure they bake evenly. This is key for achieving that signature soft, fluffy Lofthouse texture.
- Cool Completely Before Frosting: Ensure your cookies are completely cool before you start frosting. If they are even slightly warm, the frosting will melt.
- Frosting Consistency: Adjust the milk or cream in your frosting to get the right spreadable consistency. It should be smooth and soft but not runny.
- Customize Your Frosting Color: For Valentine’s Day, pink and red are traditional, but feel free to use any color you like. Gel food coloring provides vibrant colors without thinning the frosting.
- Decorate Creatively: Use a variety of sprinkles, sugar pearls, or edible glitter to make your cookies festive. For a personal touch, write messages with edible ink or icing.
- Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They can also be refrigerated if you prefer a firmer frosting.
- Make Ahead: You can make the dough and even shape the cookies beforehand, then refrigerate or freeze them until you’re ready to bake.
Can I make these cookies ahead of time? Absolutely! The cookie dough can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the shaped cookies and bake them straight from the freezer, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
How do I get my cookies to be perfectly soft? Avoid overbaking them. Bake just until they’re set. They shouldn’t brown at the edges, and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to help retain their softness.
Can I use store-bought frosting? Yes, you can use store-bought frosting for convenience. However, homemade frosting typically has a better flavor and texture that complements the soft cookie base.
How should I store the frosted cookies? Frosted cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If it’s warm or you prefer a firmer frosting, you can store them in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze these cookies? Yes, both the unfrosted cookies and the dough freeze well. Wrap them tightly and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before frosting and serving.
What if I don’t have a round cookie cutter? No problem! You can roll the dough into balls and gently flatten them with your hand or the bottom of a glass. The shape may be less uniform, but they’ll still be delicious.
More Cookie Recipes
- air fryer meringue cookies
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES
- AIR FRYER CAKE POPS
- BEST AIR FRYER MUG CAKE RECIPES FOR A SUPER EASY TREAT
- AIR FRYER WALNUT CAKE
- AIR FRYER PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE FOR TWO
Don’t Forget To Pin!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk , or cream, adjust as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops Pink , or red food coloring
- 1/4 cup Valentine-themed sprinkles
- Prep Work: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla: Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract. Ensure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Mix in Sour Cream: Add the sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Avoid overmixing.
- Form the Cookies: Roll the dough into balls or use a cookie scoop. Gently flatten each ball to form a thick disc. Place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space between each cookie.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are set but not browning. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the Frosting: While cookies cool, beat together butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add a few drops of food coloring to reach the desired color.
- Decorate: Once cookies are completely cool, spread the frosting on each cookie and add sprinkles.
- Serve and Enjoy: Let the frosting set for a bit, then serve these beautiful, soft Lofthouse-style cookies to your loved ones
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray