Tired of the same old vegan dishes? Ready to turn up the flavor? Try these air fryer Vegan Flautas for a delicious and healthy meal that’s sure to satisfy!
These juicy, crunchy tacos are packed with plant-based goodness and full of mouth-watering flavors.
We’ve taken traditional flauta ingredients like beans, squash, and corn, paired them with a savory blend of spices and fresh herbs, wrapped it all in perfectly crisp tortillas then cooked it in an air fryer for maximum crunchiness. With no oil needed, this dish is not only incredibly flavorful but also guilt-free — so what are you waiting for? Get ready to indulge your senses with Air Fryer Vegan Flautas!
What Are Flautas?
Flautas are a Mexican dish made from rolled-up tortillas that are filled with a variety of ingredients such as meat, cheese, beans, or vegetables, and then deep-fried until crispy. The word “flauta” means “flute” in Spanish, which is a reference to the shape of the dish. Flautas are typically served with a variety of toppings such as guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
They are often confused with taquitos, which are similar dishes but are typically made with smaller corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Flautas are a popular snack or appetizer in Mexican cuisine and are also commonly found in Tex-Mex cuisine.
Can I Make Flautas In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can make flautas in an air fryer. In fact, using an air fryer is a healthier and easier way to make flautas, as it requires less oil than deep-frying. Today, learn how to make flautas in an air fryer.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Vegan Flautas
Are you wanting to try something new and creative for dinner? If so, vegan flautas made in an air fryer are the perfect meal! Not only are they delicious and flavorful, but they require minimal effort on your part. Below, will show you every ingredient and step necessary to whip up a batch of this amazing dish. From seasonings that bring out all the flavors, to garnishes that take it over the top; get ready for a flavorful treat that is sure to satisfy any palette!
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card, as well as the nutritional information.
- Onions: Use yellow, white, or red onions
- Peppers: Use Jalapeno Peppers or Poblano Peppers
- Black Beans: A great source of protein, perfect for an air fryer vegetarian meal.
- Cheese: Pepper Jack Cheese or Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Seasonings and Spices: Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Oregano, Salt, and Black Pepper.
How To Cook Flautas In Air Fryer
Are you wanting to try something new and creative for dinner? If so, vegan flautas made in an air fryer are the perfect meal! Not only are they delicious and flavorful, but they require minimal effort. Below, we will show you every ingredient and step necessary to whip up a batch of this amazing dish. From seasonings that bring out all the flavors to garnishes that take it over the top, get ready for a flavorful treat that will satisfy any palette!
Step One: Saute Your Flautas Filling
Add your onions, peppers, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, black pepper, and salt in a large skillet. Saute until they are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove from heat, and pour into a large mixing bowl. Mix well with the black beans (drained) and shredded Pepper Jack cheese.
Step Two: Assemble The Flautas
In your flour tortilla, add about 2-3 tablespoons of filling for each tortilla. As you roll them, place them seam-side down onto a pan. Continue to roll them until you are done with filling.
Step Three: Air Fry The Flautas
Spray the top of the tortillas with olive oil, which will help them to crisp up. Set the pan into the air fryer for 4 to 5 minutes at 330 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Step Four: Serving
Plate, and add your favorite toppings.
Pro Tips For Cooking Flautas In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips for cooking flautas in an air fryer:
- Use corn tortillas: Corn tortillas are the traditional choice for making flautas, and they tend to hold up better in the air fryer than flour tortillas.
- Use toothpicks to secure the flautas: To prevent the flautas from unraveling in the air fryer, use toothpicks to secure them before cooking.
- Don’t overfill the flautas: Overfilling the flautas can cause them to burst open during cooking, so it’s best to use only a small amount of filling in each one.
- Brush or spray the flautas with oil: This will help the flautas to crisp up and brown nicely in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheating the air fryer will help ensure the flautas cook evenly and thoroughly.
- Flip the flautas halfway through cooking: Flipping the flautas halfway through the cooking time will help ensure that they cook evenly on both sides.
By following these pro tips, you can create delicious and crispy flautas in your air fryer that will surely be a hit with your family and friends.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I cook flautas in an air fryer?
Cooking time can vary depending on the size and filling of the flautas. Generally, it takes around 8-10 minutes at 375°F in an air fryer.
Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?
Yes, you can use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas. However, corn tortillas tend to hold up better in the air fryer.
Can I make flautas ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator or freezer?
Yes, you can make flautas ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator or freezer. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before storing them.
Can I use a different type of filling?
Yes, you can use any filling, such as shredded beef, pork, or fish. Ensure the filling is cooked before adding it to the flautas.
Do I need to thaw frozen flautas before cooking them in the air fryer?
Yes, it’s best to thaw frozen flautas before cooking them in the air fryer. This will help them to cook more evenly.
Can I reheat leftover flautas in the air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat leftover flautas in the air fryer. Place them in the air fryer and cook at 350°F for 3-5 minutes or until heated.
What toppings can I serve with flautas?
Flautas can be served with various toppings, such as guacamole, salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, or shredded lettuce.
Can I make vegetarian flautas?
Yes, you can make vegetarian flautas using fillings such as beans, cheese, or vegetables.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread Recipe
- Air Fryer Texas Toast
- Easy Air Fryer Focaccia bread
- Air Fryer Sandwich Bread
Air Fryer Vegan Flautas
- 1 cup onions, cooked
- 1 cup poblano , peppers, diced
- 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 tortillas, flour or corn
Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Guacamole, Sour Cream, Diced Tomatoes, etc.
- In a large skillet, add your onions, peppers, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, black pepper, and salt, and mix well. Saute until they are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the black beans (drained) and shredded Pepper Jack cheese, and mix well.
- In your flour tortilla, add about 2-3 tablespoons filling each tortilla. As you roll them, place them seam side down onto a pan. Continue to roll them until you are done with filling.
- Spray the top of the tortillas with olive oil, which will help them to crisp up.
- Set the pan into the air fryer for 4 to 5 minutes at 330 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Plate, and add your favorite toppings.
- Air Fryer
- Baking Pan