Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further than these Air Fryer Caramel Apple Flautas!
Perfect for entertaining guests, serving at family dinners, or just curling up on the couch while watching your favorite show, these crispy flautas are filled with tart apples and oozing with gooey caramel. Plus, they’re made in an air fryer – so you don’t have to worry about deep frying them. Keep reading to learn how to make this tasty treat in just 15 minutes!
What Are Apple Flautas?
Apple flautas are a type of dessert commonly found in Mexican cuisine. The term “flautas” translates to “flutes” in Spanish, referring to the shape of the dish. While traditional flautas are typically savory and made with rolled tortillas filled with meat or cheese, apple flautas are a sweet variation made with fruit.
To make apple flautas, flour tortillas are filled with a sweet apple filling and then rolled tightly into a flute-like shape. The apple filling is usually prepared by sautéing diced or sliced apples with sugar, cinnamon, and sometimes lemon juice to enhance the flavor. Once the tortillas are filled, they are either baked or fried until golden and crispy.
Apple flautas are often served warm and can be enjoyed independently or with various accompaniments. Common accompaniments include powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, caramel sauce, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream. The contrast between the warm, cinnamon-spiced apple filling and the crispy tortilla shell creates a delightful combination of textures and flavors.
These tasty treats are popular as a dessert option or even as a sweet snack. While apple flautas may not be as widely known as other Mexican desserts like churros or sopapillas, they offer a unique twist on traditional flautas by incorporating sweet apple flavors.
Why You Will Love This Easy Air Fryer Mexican Dessert
You might love making apple flautas in an air fryer for several reasons. Here are a few:
- Fast–Using an air fryer, you won’t have to wait for the oven or deep fryer to heat up!
- Few Ingredients
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Caramel Apple Flautas
Are you ready for a tasty and fun treat your family can enjoy? Everyone will love these crispy Air Fryer Caramel Apple Flautas! They perfectly combine sweet, tart, salty, and crunchy goodness. Plus, they don’t require many ingredients or take much time to make. So if you’re looking for something new to whip up in your air fryer, these might be it!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Tortillas: Use flour or corn tortillas
- Apple Pie Filling
- Butter Cooking Spray
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Salted Caramel Sauce
How To Make Caramel Apple Flautas In Air Fryer
Nothing compares to the warm flavors of caramel and apples in a delicious yet simple-to-make treat! If you’ve been looking for an exciting dish that satisfies your sweet tooth but requires minimal effort, look no further than caramel apple flautas. These desserts are scrumptious and can be cooked easily and quickly with an air fryer.
These delightful treats feature traditional savory Mexican flavors enhanced by apple sweetness and topped with sticky caramel sauce to make a fantastic flavor combination you won’t forget anytime soon! So if you’re interested in learning how to whip up your own batch of air-fried Caramel Apple Flautas, read on!
Step One: Prepare The Topping
In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, and set aside.
Step Two: Prepare The Apple Filling
On each tortilla, put around 4 Tbsp apple pie filling. Close on both sides and roll in shaping the flautas. Repeat the process with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
Step Three: Cooking The Flautas
Generously spray with the butter cooking spray and working in batches, place in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
Step Four: Serving
Take out and immediately roll in the cinnamon sugar.
Pro Tips For Making Apple Flautas In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips to help you make the best apple flautas in an air fryer:
- Choose the Right Tortillas: Opt for soft and pliable flour tortillas suitable for rolling. Corn tortillas tend to be more fragile and may not hold up as well during the rolling process.
- Use a Damp Cloth: Before filling the tortillas, lightly dampen them with a cloth to make them more pliable. This helps prevent them from cracking or splitting during the rolling process.
- Don’t Overfill: Be mindful not to overstuff the tortillas with the apple filling. Overfilling can make it difficult to roll them tightly and may cause the filling to spill out during cooking.
- Secure the Flautas: To prevent the flautas from unraveling in the air fryer, you can use toothpicks or kitchen twine to secure them. Just remember to remove the toothpicks or twine before serving.
- Brush with Oil: While air frying requires less oil than traditional frying methods, lightly brushing the flautas with oil can help achieve a crispy and golden brown exterior. You can use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of oil to the flautas before placing them in the air fryer.
- Cook in Batches: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket, as it can hinder proper air circulation and result in uneven cooking. Cook the flautas in batches if necessary, giving them enough space to cook evenly.
- Flip or Rotate: Depending on the size of your air fryer and the flautas, you may need to flip or rotate them halfway through the cooking time. This helps ensure all sides cook evenly and achieve a uniform golden color.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the cooking process to prevent the flautas from burning. Air fryers can cook food quickly, so checking them periodically is essential. Adjust the cooking time as needed based on the size and thickness of your flautas.
- Let Them Cool Slightly: After air frying, allow the apple flautas to cool slightly before serving. This allows the filling to set and prevents the risk of burning your mouth.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be well on your way to making delicious and perfectly cooked apple flautas in your air fryer.
Can I use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for apple flautas?
While flour tortillas are commonly used for apple flautas, you can certainly experiment with corn tortillas if you prefer. Remember that corn tortillas may be more delicate and prone to cracking, so handle them carefully during the rolling process.
Can I make apple flautas ahead of time?
It’s best to enjoy apple flautas fresh and warm for optimal taste and texture. However, you can prepare the apple filling in advance and refrigerate it. When you’re ready to serve, fill the tortillas and air fry them for a freshly cooked experience.
How should I store leftover apple flautas?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To maintain their crispness, you can reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes to restore their texture before serving.
Can I freeze apple flautas?
Yes, you can freeze apple flautas. After they have cooled completely, place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, separating each flauta with parchment paper to prevent sticking. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them in the air fryer until warmed through.
What are some toppings or accompaniments for apple flautas?
Apple flautas are delicious on their own, but you can enhance their flavor with various toppings and accompaniments. Some popular options include dusting them with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, drizzling them with caramel sauce, serving them with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, or even adding a dollop of yogurt or sour cream for a tangy contrast.
Can I make savory flautas in the air fryer as well?
Absolutely! The air fryer is a versatile appliance that can handle sweet and savory dishes. You can also make traditional savory flautas filled with ingredients like shredded chicken, beef, or cheese in the air fryer. Just adjust the cooking time and temperature according to your specific recipe.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A COOKIES
- AIR FRYER CHICK-FIL-A BREAKFAST BOWL
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN SANDWICH (CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT)
- CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT COLESLAW RECIPE
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN NUGGETS (CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT)
Air Fryer Caramel Apple Flautas
- 40 ounces apple pie filling
- 10 flour tortilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, and set aside.
- On each tortilla, put around 4 Tbsp apple pie filling. Close on both sides and roll in shaping the flautas. Repeat the process with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
- Generously spray with the butter cooking spray and working in batches, place in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Take out and immediately roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray