This Copycat Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe is fantastic! Are you in the mood for a Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich but can’t get to one?
That’s okay because this recipe will show you how to make the best copycat Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich. You’ll need just a few ingredients, and it won’t take more than 20 minutes from start to finish!
This recipe is a copycat of Chick-fil-A’s famous chicken sandwich. The formula is very easy and only requires a few ingredients.
The preparation time for this dish is under 10 minutes, which makes it perfect for weeknight dinners or busy weekends!
Everyone’s favorite fast food sandwich, the Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich! This copycat recipe is one of our family favorites, and we hope you enjoy it, too. We love how easy this recipe is and that kids can help! The only thing better than a chicken sandwich is a homemade one with fresh ingredients. You could even add some pickles or avocado for extra flavor. So try this delicious recipe today because we know you’ll love it!
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Chicken Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER HERB CRUSTED CHICKEN BREASTS, CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS, AIR FRYER RANCH CHICKEN, and LEMON PEPPER AIR FRYER CHICKEN THIGHS.
Best Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Sandwich Recipe
“Craving the unmistakable taste of a Chick-fil-A sandwich but want to enjoy it in the comfort of your home? Look no further! We’ve got the ultimate Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Sandwich recipe that’ll have you savoring that crispy chicken goodness without leaving your kitchen. Get ready to recreate the iconic flavors you love with the perfect pickle-brined chicken and soft, buttery buns. Stay tuned for a step-by-step guide to make this mouthwatering sandwich a reality in your own air fryer! 🍔✨
Why You Will Love This Recipe!
You will love this Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Sandwich recipe for several fantastic reasons:
- Authentic Flavor: This recipe captures the authentic taste of a Chick-fil-A sandwich, bringing that signature blend of crispy chicken, tender-binned goodness, and a hint of pickle to your home.
- Healthier Alternative: Using an air fryer instead of deep-frying, you can enjoy the same crispy texture and flavor with significantly less oil, making it a healthier choice.
- Convenience: Making this sandwich at home means you can satisfy your Chick-fil-A cravings whenever you want, without driving to the restaurant or waiting in lines.
- Control Over Ingredients: You have complete control over the quality of ingredients, allowing you to choose high-quality chicken, buns, and fresh pickles for a superior taste.
- Customization: Want extra pickles? Extra sauce? You can customize your Chick-fil-A sandwich exactly how you like it, tailoring it to your taste preferences.
- Cost-Efficient: Preparing this sandwich at home is cost-effective compared to dining out, making it an excellent choice for those looking to save money.
- Family-Friendly: It’s a crowd-pleaser! Whether you’re cooking for yourself, your family, or friends, this recipe will surely be a hit with everyone.
- Quick and Easy: Using an air fryer streamlines the cooking process, making it a quick and straightforward recipe, even on busy days.
- Great for Parties: Make a batch for game day or gatherings, and you’ll be the hero of the party with this delightful sandwich.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of biting into a homemade Chick-fil-A sandwich you’ve crafted with love and attention to detail.
With all these reasons to love this recipe, prepare to embark on a culinary adventure that will have you enjoying Chick-fil-A goodness from your kitchen!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat)
Get ready to create a Chick-fil-A Copycat Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich that’s every bit as delicious as the original.
With this Copycat recipe, you can enjoy the crispy, tender goodness of Chick-fil-A’s famous sandwich right at home. Here’s what you’ll need to make it.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: You’ll need boneless, skinless chicken breasts as the show’s star. Opt for fresh, high-quality chicken for the best results.
- Pickle Juice: The secret to that signature Chick-fil-A flavor is pickle juice. Marinating the chicken in pickle juice infuses it with a delightful tang and tenderness.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is often mixed with the beaten eggs to create an egg wash for dipping the chicken before coating it with flour. And tenderizes the chicken.
- Egg: Beaten eggs act as the binding agent, helping the flour coating adhere to the chicken.
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour is used to create the crispy coating for the chicken. It ensures a perfect, golden-brown crust.
- Powdered Sugar: The secret ingredient to the Original Chick-Fila’s Chicken Sandwich. It is amazing!
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning the chicken and adding a savory touch to the coating.
- Paprika and Garlic Powder: These seasonings add depth and flavor to the flour mixture, contributing to the sandwich’s overall taste.
- Buns: Soft, buttery buns are ideal for your Chick-fil-A chicken creation.
- Pickle Slices: To complete the classic Chick-fil-A experience, you’ll need pickle slices for topping your sandwich.
- Butter: A butter spread on the buns adds a rich, buttery flavor and helps toast them to perfection.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat)
To make an Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich that’s a Chick-fil-A copycat, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Start by trimming the fat off the chicken sandwiches and then slice the breasts in half. Place the chicken in the buttermilk/pickle mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
After marinating the chicken, in another bowl, mix the egg and milk. In another bowl, add the flour, powdered sugar, and spices.
Dip your chicken into the egg/milk and flour mixture. As you coat your chicken, place them into the air fryer basket. Spray generously with either olive oil or peanut oil.
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. Then increase the temperature to 400 degrees for another 4 to 8 minutes.
Here are some recipe variations to customize your Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat) to suit your preferences:
- Spicy Chicken Sandwich: Add cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the seasoned flour mixture for a spicy kick. Mix hot sauce or cayenne pepper into the pickle juice and marinate the chicken in a spicy buttermilk mixture.
- Crispy Bacon: Elevate your sandwich by adding crispy bacon strips. Cook the bacon separately and layer it on the chicken before adding pickles and the top bun.
- Cheese Lover’s Delight: Melt a slice of your favorite cheese (such as American or cheddar) onto the chicken at the last minute of air-frying. This creates a gooey, cheesy chicken experience.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: Instead of the classic Chick-fil-A sauce, spread honey mustard on the buns for a sweet and tangy twist. You can also add honey mustard inside the sandwich for extra flavor.
- Spicy Sriracha Mayo: Create a spicy mayo by mixing mayonnaise with Sriracha sauce. Spread it on the buns for a fiery kick.
- Garlic Aioli: Prepare a garlic aioli by mixing mayonnaise with minced garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. This creamy garlic sauce pairs exceptionally well with the chicken.
- Pickled Jalapeños: If you love heat, add some sliced jalapeños to your sandwich for an extra kick and a crunch.
- Avocado Slices: Add thin slices of ripe avocado to your sandwich for a creamy and fresh element—avocado pairs wonderfully with the crispy chicken.
- Whole Wheat or Brioche Buns: Experiment with different types of buns, such as whole wheat for a healthier option or brioche for a richer buttery taste.
- Asian-Inspired Twist: Marinate the chicken in soy sauce, ginger, and garlic for an Asian-inspired flavor. Top with a cabbage slaw tossed in a sesame dressing.
- Pickle Chips: Instead of pickle slices, use pickle chips for extra pickle flavor in every bite.
- Buffalo-Style: Coat the chicken in buffalo sauce after air frying for a spicy and tangy Buffalo-style sandwich. Top with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks for authenticity.
Mix and match these variations to create a unique and mouthwatering Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich that suits your taste buds.
Here are some pro tips to help you make the best Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat):
- Marinating Time: Extend the marinating time if possible. Allowing the chicken to marinate in pickle juice for several hours or overnight can enhance its tenderness and flavor.
- Chicken Thickness: For even cooking, try to use chicken breasts of uniform thickness. You can flatten them slightly with a meat mallet if needed.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating the air fryer is essential for achieving a crispy coating. Make sure it’s fully preheated before adding the chicken.
- Use Cooking Spray: Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray before placing it in the air fryer. This will help ensure a golden and crispy crust.
- Don’t Overcrowd: Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they aren’t touching or overlapping. This allows for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Monitor Temperature: Invest in a kitchen thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
- Time Adjustment: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts and the specific air fryer model. Keep a close eye on the chicken during cooking and adjust the time as needed.
- Check for Doneness: Cut into one of the chicken breasts before serving to ensure it’s cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Toasting Buns: Toast the buns in the air fryer for a minute or two. Please keep a close watch to prevent them from becoming too crispy.
- Spread Sauce Evenly: When adding your preferred sauce or condiments, spread them evenly across the bun to ensure every bite is flavorful.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the cooked chicken to rest for a few minutes before assembling the sandwich. This helps the juices redistribute, keeping the chicken moist.
- Double-Dip for Extra Crispiness: For an extra crispy coating, consider double-dipping the chicken in the egg wash and flour mixture after setting the first coat. This can result in an even crunchier crust.
- Keep it Hot: If you make multiple sandwiches, keep the chicken warm in a preheated oven (around 200°F or 93°C) while you finish cooking the rest.
Following these pro tips, you’ll be well-prepared to create a perfectly crispy and delicious Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich, a Chick-fil-A Copycat masterpiece. Enjoy your homemade sandwich!
Faq’s Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat)
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts? While the Chick-fil-A sandwich traditionally uses chicken breasts, you can certainly use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time to ensure they reach a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
How long should I marinate the chicken in pickle juice? Marinating the chicken in pickle juice for at least 30 minutes is recommended to infuse it with flavor. However, you can marinate it for up to 4 hours or overnight for even better results.
Can I use dill pickle juice from a jar of pickles? Yes, you can use dill pickle juice from a jar of pickles for marinating the chicken. It’s a convenient way to get that signature Chick-fil-A flavor.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer? Yes, preheating the air fryer is important for achieving a crispy coating on the chicken. Preheat it to 375°F (190°C) before adding the chicken.
Can I freeze the breaded chicken for later use? Yes, you can freeze breaded chicken for later use. Place the breaded chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag with parchment paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Cook them directly from frozen in the air fryer, but allow for extra cooking time.
Can I use a different type of flour, like whole wheat or almond flour? You can experiment with different types of flour, but keep in mind that it may affect the texture and flavor of the coating. Whole wheat flour will result in a heartier coating, while almond flour can make it gluten-free.
What can I use if I don’t have an air fryer? If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make this Chick-fil-A Copycat sandwich by pan-frying the breaded chicken in a skillet with a small amount of oil. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
How do I store leftovers? Store any leftover cooked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat it in the air fryer or oven for best results.
Can I use store-bought Chick-fil-A sauce or other condiments? Absolutely! You can use store-bought Chick-fil-A sauce or your favorite condiments to customize your sandwich to your liking.
Nothing is better than a homemade Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich (Chick-fil-A Copycat) with a side!
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve this with are:
- AIR FRYER LOADED WAFFLE FRIES
- AIR FRYER FROZEN WAFFLE CUT FRIES
- THE BEST AND EASIEST AIR FRYER FRENCH FRIES RECIPE
- AIR FRYER EASY POUTINE FRENCH FRIES
- CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT COLESLAW RECIPE
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast,
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, secret ingredient
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic powder
Hamburger buns or brioche bun, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and pickles for serving
- Start by trimming the fat off the chicken sandwiches and then slice the breasts in half.
- In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk and pickle juice.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk/pickle mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- After marinating the chicken, in another bowl, mix the egg and milk.
- In another bowl, add the flour, powdered sugar, and spices.
- Dip your chicken into the egg/milk and then into the flour mixture.
- As you coat your chicken, place them into the air fryer basket. Spray generously with either olive oil or peanut oil. You can also use a parchment liner or reusable silicone liner.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. Then increase the temperature to 400 degrees for another 4 to 8 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the chicken, which should be 165 degrees F, with a meat thermometer.
- Add the cooked chicken to a brioche or hamburger roll, and add your toppings.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional