Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich Recipe is a new exciting way to prepare your traditional Reuben recipe. With just a few simple steps, you can create a yummy and satisfying Reuben sandwich in the air fryer that’s perfect for any occasion.
Reuben Sandwich Recipe
An Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich is amazing! There is nothing better for a quick lunch than this Reuben recipe.
Reubens are perfect in the air fryer, and such a leisurely lunch or dinner. I had been making them for years before I purchased my first air fryer. So, it was one of my first attempts at making an air fryer Reuben sandwich.
The words to describe an air fryer Reuben are: juicy and delicious. Today, I used rye bread slices with corned beef, cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing — the classic Reuben sandwich.
I love a great Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes. Some of my favorites are AIR FRYER TURKEY CLUB SANDWICH, AIR FRYER GRILLED CHEESE PIZZA SANDWICHES, AIR FRYER PATTY MELT, and AIR FRYER CHEESY BBQ PORK SLIDERS.
Why You’ll Love this Reuben Recipe
- The perfect savory, cheesy comfort meal
- A deli classic made from the comfort of your own home
- Only a handful of ingredients
- So easy in the air fryer!
What is a Reuben Sandwich?
Like any other Reuben sandwich recipe, my version is prepared with corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing. It is usually served on either rye bread or marbled bread.
You can make and serve this air fryer Reuben hot or cold, depending on preference. I typically order one at a local deli, and it’s perfectly warmed up. The cheese is all melty, the beef is the perfect temperature, and it’s delicious.
A traditional Rueben sandwich is typically prepared in a skillet and then heated until the Swiss cheese has melted. Today, we made the same Reuben sandwich in the air fryer instead of pan frying it.
What is Corned Beef?
Corned beef is a type of cured beef that is made from brisket. The meat is brined in a salt solution, which gives it its characteristic flavor. Corned beef can be cooked in various ways, including boiling, roasting, and grilling. It is often served with cabbage or potatoes.
Ingredients Needed for an Air Fryer Reuben
This Reuben sandwich recipe makes the perfect solution for any lunch or dinner. Hearty, savory, cheesy, and comforting — what more could you ask for? Just 6 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of cook time gets you the perfect Reuben sandwich in the air fryer.
For complete ingredients and quantities, keep on scrolling until you get to the bottom with a printable recipe card.
- Meat: Corned beef is traditionally used, although I know a few of my readers love pastrami in the sandwich. This is found in the deli department.
- Dressing: Rusian dressing is the traditional choice, but Thousand Island works well.
- Swiss Cheese
- Bread: Typically, this is either Marble or Rye bread. You can use any variety of sturdy bread — remember, the filings are very heavy.
- Melted butter or cooking spray
How To Make Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich
Step 1: Start Layers
Spread the Russian dressing on one side of both slices of bread. Then, add your sliced corned beef or pastrami.
Step 2: Cheese and Sauerkraut
Add the sauerkraut on top of your meat, finishing with the cheese. Top it off with the other piece of bread.
Place each sandwich in your air fryer basket, then spray with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
Step 3: Air Fry
Air fry at 390 degrees F on the air fryer setting for 4 minutes.
Flip each air fryer Reuben and cook for another 3 minutes. Be sure to spray the other side when you flip.
Can I Cook an Air Fryer Reuben in the Skillet?
Yes. In fact, that is traditionally how this sandwich is made!
Prepare as directed, but place in a wide skillet over medium-high heat instead of the air fryer basket. Cook until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown and the cheese starts to melt. Then, carefully flip the sandwich and remove when the other side is golden and the cheese is fully melted.
Is a Reuben Still a Reuben without Sauerkraut?
Nope! The meat is flexible — you can use either pastrami or corned beef. However, the sauerkraut and Swiss are a must in order for this sandwich to stay a true Reuben.
However, this air fryer Reuben can be modified into an alternative (but still tasty) beef or pastrami sandwich if you’d like to swap out the toppings.
What Should I Serve with Reuben Sandwiches?
I love serving this Reuben recipe with the traditional sides that you would find in any restaurant or deli. Don’t forget to add a pickle spear to your plate!
Some of my favorite Side Dishes to serve with this Reuben sandwich recipe are:
- AIR FRYER SALT AND VINEGAR CHIPS
- FROZEN TATER TOTS IN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER POTATO SALAD
- CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT COLESLAW RECIPE
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes
- AIR FRYER TASTY HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH
- EASY AIR FRYER CLASSIC GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- AIR FRYER CHICAGO-STYLE PORK CHOP SANDWICHES
- PEANUT BUTTER AND BACON SANDWICH IN THE AIR FRYER
- CRISPY CHICKEN SANDWICH IN THE AIR FRYER
Air Fryer Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 cup Russian Dressing, or Thousand Island Dressing
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 poun corned beef, sliced
- 12 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 4 slices Swiss Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, unsalted
- Start by spreading the Russian dressing on 1 piece of bread (or do all 4 at once).
- Then place the corned beef on top, place the drained sauerkraut on top, then top it off with a piece of Swiss cheese. Then add the top piece.
- Place the sandwich in the air fryer and spray the tops with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- Air fryer your sandwich for 4 minutes at 390 degrees F, air fryer setting, and then when it's up, flip it, spray it with cooking spray or brush with melted butter, and air fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer