Air Fryer Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese — Truth, I was standing in front of the window t my local Panera when I knew I had to make this recipe! I mean, who doesn’t love mac and cheese and grilled cheese–so it’s the perfect combination! And it’s A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese is a grilled cheese sandwich with macaroni and cheese as the filling. You can make the macaroni and cheese from scratch or a box. And this will soon be one of your family’s favorite sandwiches!
It’s so good!
And it’s so delicious! And of course, you can prepare this air fryer sandwich with leftover Macaroni and Cheese! So, the next time you make some Mac & Cheese, make some extra, and surprise your family the next day!
It’s so good, you won’t believe it, and we even added some air fryer bacon for a real twist!
Oh, oh so good!
I love a great Air Fryer Sandwich, and this one is no different. Some of my favorite sandwich recipes are AIR FRYER SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND ONIONS, AIR FRYER CRAB CAKE SANDWICHES, AIR FRYER SHRIMP PO’BOY, and AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD PIZZA TOAST.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Bacon Bits
- Sandwich Bread
- American Cheese
How To Make Air Fryer Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese
In a small bowl, combine the cooled Macaronic and Cheese and bacon bits. Set aside. Spread the butter on both sides of the bread.
On the bottom slice of bread, place 1 ½ of the cheese slice. Add the Mac and Cheese with bacon bits on top. Cover the Mac N Cheese with the remaining 1 ½ cheese slice. Cover with the last bread slice.
Place in the air fryer. I put a toothpick to keep the top bread from flying around. Cook at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting for 4 minutes. Carefully flip it and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until nice and golden.
Bread: Any denser bread, like sourdough, would work as well. Some great options are French Bread, baguettes, or even Artisan Bread.
Remember, the macaroni and cheese is a heavy topping, so you need the bread to stay in place.
Cheese: Some of the best cheeses to use are cheddar, mozzarella, or even Colby jack.
If you wish to use sliced cheese, such as Kraft Sliced Cheese (Singles), that is fine, but you will find better results when you cut your cheese from a block as it will melt better than an already shredded cheese from the store.
The key is to let it become room temperature before adding it to the recipe.
Note: You can use your homemade Mac and Cheese, but I would make sure it is room temperature and not too saucy, as the sauce can make the bottom bread soggy.
I added bacon bits to the Macaroni and Cheese. You can add crumbled bacon strips or onion pieces, or anything you would like in your mac and cheese. Just make sure they are small pieces.
How To Store:
If you have any leftovers, let them cool to room temperature, and then place the sandwiches into an airtight container. They will last for about a day in the refrigerator. After that, the sandwich will become soggy.
I would not recommend freezing these.
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes:
- AIR FRYER HOT DOG TAQUITOS
- FROZEN CHICKEN PATTIES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER BLT WITH HARD-BOILED EGGS
- AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE
- ½ cup Mac N Cheese cooled to room temperature. (I used Kraft box Mac N Cheese)
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted), room temperature
- 2 slices of bread (I chose Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse; Healthy White)
- 3 slices American cheese or the cheese of your choice
- In a small bowl, combine the cooled Mac N Cheese and bacon bits. Set aside.
- Spread the butter on both sides of the bread.
- On the bottom slice of bread, place 1 ½ of the cheese slice.
- Add the Mac N Cheese with bacon bits on top.
- Cover the Mac N Cheese with the remaining 1 ½ cheese slice.
- Cover with the last bread slice.
- Place in the air fryer. I put a toothpick to keep the top bread from flying around.
- Cook at 350 degrees F on an air frryer setting for 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip it and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until nice and golden.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 890Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 1914mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 29g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.