Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Foil Packet — Yummy! How about some Mexican Chicken made in a foil packet right inside your air fryer? This flavorful chicken is prepared with Cajun chicken seasoning, corn, salsa, and black beans. This main dish is great for those on a low-fat diet too! This quick and easy meal is perfect for weeknights or those hot Summer days when you don’t want to grill outside or turn on the oven!
How to Make an Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Foil Packet
Here is a great recipe, which is a twist on a basic air-fried chicken dish!
Before I had my air fryer, I would use the grill to make all of my chicken dishes, and my kids loved it so, I decided to try it in the air fryer. You know what, I think chicken does better in the air fryer than on the grill.
If you have been coming up with dry chicken or has white spots, there is a tip that I learned that I think makes the moistest and most delicious chicken ever! I’m serious. It truly does!
The secret, which most experienced air fryer people will tell you, is to spray, spray, and spray your chicken. Always spray your chicken before and after you flip your chicken. This will ensure a moist and delicious chicken dish.
This Mexican Chicken dish was a massive hit with my kids, and it was an easy meal. When I make this meal, some of my family’s favorites are my Mexican Street Corn and my Air Fryer Queso (this stuff is AMAZING), and for dessert, Mexican Wedding Cookies. Of course, even though this is made in the Instant Pot, my Homemade Salsa is always a must!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe works and is a family favorite because it’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and a meal the whole family love.
And it’s a fantastic way to change up Taco Tuesday! Plus, there is no limit to what you can make in your Air Fryer! Check out the delicious recipe links I’ve included at the bottom of the post, including a copycat recipe for Taco Bell Mexican Pizza!
Expert Tips, Ingredient List, and Suggestions for Recipe Success
- Chicken breast – boneless and either skin off or off
- Kosher or sea salt – remember table salt is for seasoning at the table.
- Black beans – any brand is fine.
- Corn – canned, fresh, or frozen (make sure to thaw first)
- Salsa – homemade or store-bought
- Mexican cheese – either buy shredded or buy a block and shred yourself.
- Seasoning your chicken is important.
- Most chicken dishes can be rubbed and then set into the refrigerator ahead of time. So, when you come home from work/errands/kids, etc., you can just place it in the air fryer, spray it with olive oil spray and air fryer.
- Spraying the chicken with olive oil spray is one of the keys. I spray the heck of out of, and I always get no white spots and tender (way juicy) chicken.
- Always flip the chicken halfway, and then spray again. This way both sides are nice, light, and tender.
- Because eating uncooked chicken is unhealthy and can you sick, invest in a meat thermometer.
Can I Make This in The Oven?
Yes, you can easily make this in the oven. Follow the recipe directions and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes, absolutely! This can be made ahead of time. Just cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator until it’s time for dinner. Then reheat and serve!
Can I Use Frozen Ones?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken, follow the recipe strictly, but you will need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
How Long Will It Last?
If properly stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, the leftover chicken will last up to four days.
Can You Put Foil In An Air Fryer?
Absolutely! It will make your chicken and beef come out tasting just like it cooked over an open fire! Just a whole lot quicker!
What Does Wrapping Chicken in Foil Do?
It helps keep all of those delicious juices sealed in and around the meat. This way, the meat stays moist, tender, and delicious. It’s pure perfection!
How To Make Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Foil Packet
Step 1: Tear off a piece of foil that is large enough to wrap around the chicken breast you will use.
Step 2: Place the chicken breast down on the piece of foil.
Step 3: Generously season the breast with kosher salt, black pepper, and chili powder.
Step 4: Place ½ cup of the black beans, ½ cup of the canned corn, and ½ cup of salsa on top of the chicken.
Step 5: Wrap the chicken up in the foil and place it in the air fryer basket or pan.
Step 6: Set the temperature to 370 degrees F for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, flip your package. Be careful because some juice will come out, and it will be VERY HOT. Then air fry for another 7 minutes.
Step 7: Once the chicken has reached an internal 165 degrees, plate, serve, and enjoy!
Step 8: Check your chicken when it’s done air frying with a meat thermometer to ensure it’s fully cooked. Remove from the package.
Step 9: To serve, add the chicken to a plate of rice and top with some shredded cheese and sliced jalapenos.
Step 10: Enjoy!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- Optional Garnishes: Salsa, Shredded cheese, Sour Cream, Diced Tomatoes, Cilantro and diced jalapenos
- Tear off a piece of foil that is large enough to wrap around the chicken breast you are going to use.
- Place the chicken breast down on the piece of foil.
- Generously season the breast with kosher salt, black pepper, and chili powder.
- Place ½ cup of the black beans, ½ cup of the canned corn, and ½ cup of salsa on top of the chicken.
- Wrap the chicken up in the foil and place it either in the air fryer basket or in an air fryer-safe pan.
- Set the temperature to 370 degrees F for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes flip your package. Be careful because some juice will come out and it will be VERY HOT. Then air fry for another 7 minutes.
- Once the chicken has reached an internal 165 degrees, plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Check your chicken when it’s done air frying with a meat thermometer to ensure it’s fully cooked. Remove from the package. \ To serve, add the chicken to a plate of rice and top with some shredded cheese, and sliced jalapenos.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 1999mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 10gSugar: 11gProtein: 53g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Don’t Forget To Pin: