Air Fryer Lemon Donuts — Donuts are a breakfast staple in America. They’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, but they usually require frying oil to achieve that perfect texture. Air fryers have become more popular in recent years, so I decided to experiment with donut making without needing any cooking oils! These air-fried lemon donuts are light, moist, and delicious!
There is nothing better than a homemade donut. Today’s variety is simple lemon donuts with a lemon glaze. Here is my recipe for Air Fryer Lemon Donuts.
If you love the spring and the fresh lemons it brings, this is the perfect recipe for you, filled with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. The glaze is fantastic since it adds even more lemon flavor, made with lemon zest, sugar, and melted butter. It is the perfect complement to the donut.
I love fresh donuts. I know everyone raves about making the biscuit donuts in the air fryer, but you can do so much more donut making in the air fryer. The air fryer is almost like a mini-oven, so if you can make it in the oven, you can make it in the air fryer. And they come out so much better, light, fluffy and moist. What is better in a donut?
If you are looking for even more donut recipes, some of my favorites are Air Fryer Strawberry Donut, Air Fryer Blueberry Donuts, and of course (being from Boston), my copycat recipe for Air Fryer Copycat Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed Donuts.
Air Fryer Lemon Donuts
If you loved my Air Fryer Copycat Lemon Loaf Bread, you would love these donuts. They have a rich flavor, which is enhanced by the lemon.
If you want a real treat, you can make these into lemon donut holes. Otherwise, just air fry up a batch, and you will be good to go. They make a fantastic breakfast, sweet dessert, and a great afternoon pick-me-up.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Lemon Donuts
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Lemon Juice
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Zest
How To Make Air Fryer Lemon Donuts
Mix the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest in a large bowl-mix well until it’s well blended.
Mix until smooth. They spray your donut pans with non0sticking cooking spray and pour the batter in 3/4 way full. Set them into the air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 320 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Make the icing mix by blending the sugar, lemon zest, and melted butter. Drizzle over the donuts.
Tips for Making Perfect Air Fryer Lemon Donuts
- Another great topping for these donuts is a mixture of ground cinnamon and granulated sugar together.
- Allow the donuts to completely cool before glazing them, otherize the glaze will runoff.
- Place the donuts on a rack to let the glaze runoff; this will ensure an even coating.
- Only fill about 2/3 way complete. If you overfill them, they will bubble over, and they will be difficult to remove from the donut pan.
- You can make the batter in advance. I would advise making it the night before you need it and then covering and refrigerating until the following day.
CAN I ADD FRUIT INTO THE BATTER IN THIS RECIPE?
Yes, if you want to add small berries to this recipe, that would work perfectly. I would suggest either strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries.
If you want to use frozen fruit in this recipe, I would add them in frozen.
HOW LONG WILL THESE DONUTS LAST?
Truthfully, they don’t last long in my house. My kids gobble them up, but here is the best way if you are looking to store leftovers.
Place them into an airtight container and place them on the counter for about 2 to 3 days. For any more extended storage, put them into the refrigerator.
CAN I FREEZE LEMON DONUTS?
Yes, if you want to make a batch and keep them in the freezer, that’s a great idea. I usually make a big batch on Sunday and then use them for a great and easy breakfast or snack in the next few weeks.
They will last for about 1 to 2 months. To use, place into the refrigerator overnight. I do not add icing until they are defrosted.
TRY THESE AIR FRYER DOUGHNUTS NEXT!
- AIR FRYER GLAZED DONUTS
- AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE FUDGE DONUTS
- EASY AIR FRYER STRAWBERRY JELLY DONUTS
- AIR FRYER RED VELVET DONUTS
- AIR FRYER CINNAMON SUGAR DONUT MUFFINS
What Donut Pans Can You Use In The Air Fryer?
Air Fryer pans have come a long way since I started baking with my air fryer. They have these fantastic silicone donut molds. These molds will fit any air fryer basket or oven.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Don’t Forget To Pin–Print
This is such an easy recipe for the entire family, and sure to be a family favorite, with a great taste of lemon, this is the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert.
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4–5 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Mix well until it’s well blended.
- Mix until smooth. They spray your donut pans with non0sticking cooking spray and pour the batter in 3/4 way full. Set them into the air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 320 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Make the icing mix by blending the sugar, lemon zest, and melted butter. Drizzle over the donuts.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: Air Fryer Lemon Donuts