Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese is an amazing grilled cheese sandwich, made with a few ingredients and plenty of diced jalapenos. It is the perfect lunch or dinner made in the air fryer.
Everyone loves Jalapeno Poppers, so today, I replicated the same ingredients and came up with this tasty air-fried sandwich. It’s the ultimate comfort food stuffed with cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and minced garlic. If you love Jalapeno Poppers and a Grilled Cheese Sandwich, you will love these.
Today, I added some bacon, which makes for a great sandwich, along with the other ingredients, you have a great sandwich in minutes!
Best yet, this recipe is so simple. The kids completely went nuts over it; they loved it better than my Air Fryer Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (and they love that)!!
Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- Cream Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How To Make Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Mix the cream cheese until smooth then add the garlic powder and onion powder and mix again until combined.
Add the bacon and jalapeño and stir to combine then finally stir in the cheddar cheese.
Spread the butter evenly on all of the bread slices, spread the filling on 6 of the slices on the sides that don’t have butter, and place the top slice of the bread on the sandwich.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, then place the sandwiches in the basket one at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side or until light and golden.
Serve with your favorite sides such as chips or pickles.
HOW MUCH CHEESE TO USE FOR GRILLED CHEESE
The trick to getting stuff to stay put during the cooking process, especially bread and light items is a toothpick; here, I put a toothpick in each corner of the bread. It worked wonderfully, and the result was awesome. I also lifted the grilled cheese by placing it on the trivet that I was lucky to get in my air fryer accessory kit, which meat that the mayonnaise did not stick to the air fryer basket. So, each side had a nice coating.
CAN YOU USE BUTTER TO REPLACE MAYONNAISE
Mayonnaise really gives this grilled cheese incredible flavor. But, if you prefer not, go right ahead and reach for butter or a butter replacement. Many people love the slight change in flavor the mayo gives the grilled cheese. It isn’t a huge difference, but it is delicious.
DOES GRILLED CHEESE STORE WELL
Unfortunately, no. You will find this sandwich is best served fresh and warm. Otherwise, your sandwich will lose the crispy texture you know and love from this sandwich.
I recommend making these when you want to eat them.
WHAT GOES GOOD ON GRILLED CHEESE
- Caramelized onions
- Ham, turkey, etc
- Sliced tomato
Feel free to add more layers of flavor to your grilled cheese sandwich. Get creative and enjoy a fun and delicious recipe for you to serve up your family.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GRILLED CHEESE AND A MELT?
Grilled cheese and melts are very similar. The biggest difference is a melt tends to have other ingredients besides bread, mayo, and cheese. Melts tend to have items like tuna, other meats, etc.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GRILLED CHEESE
- French Fries
- Fruit Salad
Do something simple or whip up your favorite side dish. Go ahead and make whatever sounds good. We tend to do simply like chips and a pickle, or soup.
TIPS FOR MAKING AN AIR FRIED GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- Make sure not to saturate bread with the mayo or toast up the way you want.
- If you are worried about the sandwich coming part, put a toothpick or two in the sandwich to secure it.
- You can use any bread you like, from Texas toast, whole wheat, honey oat, classic white, etc.
- Make sure not to overlap the bread, so you get an even cook.
- Also, use the cooking time as a guide. Depending on bread thickness, the time can cook fast or slower than in the recipe card.
SOME HELPFUL PRODUCTS USED IN MY MAKING THIS RECIPE-
DON’T FORGET TO PIN–
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- ½ cup of salted butter, at room
- 12 slices of white bread
- Mix the cream cheese until smooth, then add the garlic powder and onion powder and mix again until combined.
- Add the bacon and jalapeño and stir to combine, then finally stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Spread the butter evenly on all of the bread slices, spread the filling on 6 of the slices on the sides that don’t have butter, and place the top slice of the bread on the sandwich.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, then place the sandwiches in the basket one at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side or until light and golden. (350 degrees F, air fryer setting).
- Serve with your favorite sides, such as chips or pickles.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- You can store these sandwiches in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat these sandwiches in a 350-degree oven for 3-4 minutes or until light and crispy.