Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich — oozing with gooey peanut butter and jelly in the middle of slightly toasted bread. It’s the perfect snack or easy meal idea!
This air fryer PB&J sandwich will make for a quick snack; please all the little kids out there and bring your new favorite snack or quick meal to a new level.
Air Fried Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich
This Air Fryer Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is amazing! One word: DELICIOUS! You’ll never want to eat a cold PB&J sandwich again…trust me!
There is something magical about making a fried PB&J in the air fryer. I am not sure if it’s because it takes me back to being a kid or just the warm PB&J sandwich. YUM!
Air Fryer Sandwiches are Amazing. Some of my favorites are AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE, AIR FRYER TURKEY CLUB SANDWICH, AIR FRYER COPYCAT MCDONALD’S FILET-O-FISH, and AIR FRYER TUNA MELT GRILLED CHEESE.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Classic Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
- Only 5 minutes prep + 6 minutes to cook
- You will only need 4 simple ingredients
- A modern twist on a classic PB&J
- Everyone will beg for more
- Great when you are in a hurry
Air Fried PB&J Ingredients
You can make this delicious air fryer peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a few basic ingredients. It is one of the most classic sandwich recipes. The warm peanut butter and warm jelly are perfectly balanced.
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Slices of Bread: Two pieces of bread are the comforting foundation for your Air Fried PB&J, ready to be toasted to perfection in the air fryer.
- Peanut Butter: Creamy or crunchy, peanut butter adds a rich, nutty flavor that pairs beautifully with the sweetness of the jelly, making it the heart and soul of your sandwich.
- Jelly or Jam: The fruity essence of jelly or jam, whether classic grape jelly, strawberry jelly, or your preferred flavor, provides that sweet and tangy contrast to the peanut butter, creating a harmonious and satisfying blend of tastes.
- Cooking Spray or Melted Butter (Optional): For those seeking an extra layer of indulgence, a light application of cooking spray or melted butter on the outer sides of the sandwich can transform it into a crispy, golden delight during the air frying process.
How To Make An Air Fryer Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich
You can make this delicious air fryer PB&J sandwich for a quick lunch or dinner with these simple steps.
Step 1: Prep the bread
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for 1-2 minutes while you prepare the sandwich.
- Spread Peanut Butter: Take one slice of bread and spread a thin layer of peanut butter. You can use creamy, crunchy, or chunky peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter, depending on your favorite peanut butter.
- Add Jelly: Spread an even layer of your favorite jelly or jam on the other slice of bread. You can choose classic grape, strawberry, raspberry, or any flavor.
Step 2: Air fry peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Assemble the Sandwich: Place the peanut butter-covered slice of bread on top of the jelly-covered slice to create a sandwich.
- Optional: Lightly Butter or Spray with Cooking Spray: If you want to achieve a crispy, grilled effect, you can lightly butter the outside of the sandwich or spray them with cooking spray. This step is optional but adds extra flavor and texture.
- Air Fry: Place the prepared sandwich in the air fryer basket. Set cook time for 3-4 minutes on one side.
- Flip and Continue Cooking: Carefully flip the sandwich to the other side using a spatula or tongs. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until the sandwich is golden brown and crispy.
Step 3: Serving
- Serve Hot: Remove the Air Fryer PB&J sandwich from the air fryer, let it cool for a minute, and then slice it diagonally or into halves. Serve it hot, and enjoy!
The air fryer gives the sandwich a crispy exterior while keeping the inside warm and gooey. It’s a delightful twist on the classic PB&J sandwich that both kids and adults will love.
Pro Recipe Tips
Here are some pro tips to elevate your Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) sandwich-making game:
- Even Spread: When spreading peanut butter and jelly on the bread, distribute them evenly to ensure a well-balanced flavor in every bite.
- Choose Quality Ingredients: Opt for high-quality bread, peanut butter, and jelly or jam. The better the ingredients, the more delicious your sandwich will be.
- Variations: Get creative with your PB&J by trying different types of nut butter (e.g., almond or cashew) and exploring unique jams or preserves for a twist on the classic.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Before assembling the sandwich, let the peanut butter and jelly come to room temperature. This makes them easier to spread and prevents the bread from getting soggy.
- Layering: Consider layering the peanut butter and jelly on both slices of bread to ensure that every part of the sandwich is flavorful.
- Don’t Overstuff: Be mindful not to overstuff the sandwich with too much peanut butter and jelly, as cooking evenly in the air fryer can make it messy and more challenging.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating your air fryer is essential to ensure even toasting and avoid a soggy interior. Give it a few minutes to reach the desired temperature before cooking.
- Monitor Closely: Keep a close eye on the sandwich in the air fryer. The Cooking time may vary depending on the model, and you want to prevent burning.
- Flip Carefully: When flipping the sandwich, use a spatula or tongs to avoid damaging the crispy outer layer you’re aiming for.
- Serve Warm: Air Fried PB&J sandwiches are best enjoyed immediately while they’re warm and crispy. Allow a brief cooling time, and then savor the delightful contrast of textures and flavors.
By following these pro tips, you’ll master the art of creating a mouthwatering Air Fryer PB&J sandwich that combines the nostalgic flavors of childhood with a modern twist. Enjoy!
Here are some delicious recipe variations and twists you can try with your Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) sandwich:
- Grilled PB&J: Before air frying, brush the outer sides of the bread with melted butter or spread a thin layer of mayonnaise. This will create a crispy, golden crust and add a savory dimension to your sandwich.
- Banana PB&J: Add slices of banana to your PB&J before air frying. The creamy peanut butter, sweet jelly, and the natural sweetness of bananas create a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
- Nutella and Strawberry: Substitute peanut butter with Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) and use strawberry jam or fresh strawberry slices for a Nutella and Strawberry sandwich. It’s a heavenly blend of chocolate and fruity goodness.
- Honey Drizzle: After air frying, drizzle a touch of honey over your PB&J sandwich for a hint of natural sweetness and extra richness. Honey pairs wonderfully with peanut butter and jelly.
- Bacon and PB&J: For a sweet and savory twist, add crispy bacon strips to your PB&J before air frying. The salty, smoky bacon complements the sweet and nutty flavors of the sandwich.
- Gourmet Nut Butter: Explore gourmet nut butter options such as almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter for a unique flavor profile. Pair them with artisanal fruit preserves for a gourmet PB&J experience.
- S’mores PB&J: Spread peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on one slice of bread and jelly or jam on the other. Add a layer of chocolate chips or chocolate spread in the middle for a s’mores-inspired PB&J.
- Nutty Crunch: Sprinkle chopped nuts (such as roasted peanuts, almonds, or pecans) on the peanut butter side of the sandwich before air frying for added texture and a delightful crunch.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it on the bread before assembling the sandwich. It adds warmth and sweetness to your PB&J.
- Dessert Mode: Turn your PB&J into a dessert by using dessert spreads like cookie butter or caramel sauce instead of regular jelly. Top it with a scoop of ice cream for an indulgent treat.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with various ingredients and flavors to customize your Air Fryer PB&J sandwich to your taste preferences. The possibilities are endless!
FAQ’s Air Fryer PB&J Sandwich
Can I use any type of peanut butter?
Yes, you can use your favorite type of peanut butter, whether it’s creamy peanut butter, crunchy, natural, or a flavored variety like honey-roasted. Choose the one you enjoy the most.
What kind of jelly or jam is best for this sandwich?
The choice of jelly or jam is entirely up to your preference. Favorite jams include grape, strawberry jam, sweet jelly raspberry, and apricot. You can also use preserves or fruit spreads for added texture.
Can I make this sandwich in advance and reheat it?
While this sandwich is best enjoyed fresh for its crispy texture, you can make it in advance and reheat it in the air fryer at a lower temperature for a short time to regain some crispiness.
Can I use other nut butters like almond butter or cashew butter?
Absolutely! You can substitute peanut butter with almond butter, cashew butter, or any other nut butter you prefer. These alternatives provide a unique flavor twist.
How do I prevent the jelly from making the bread soggy?
To prevent the bread from becoming too soggy, spread a thin layer of peanut butter on both slices of bread before adding the jelly in the middle. This creates a barrier to protect the bread. Use thicker bread, like sourdough bread, whole wheat bread, low carb bread, or white bread.
Can I make this sandwich gluten-free?
Yes, you can make a gluten-free version by using gluten-free bread. Many gluten-free bread options are available, and they work well in the air fryer.
Can I add other ingredients like banana or honey to the sandwich?
Absolutely! You can get creative by adding ingredients like thinly sliced banana, a drizzle of honey, chocolate chips, or a sprinkle of cinnamon to your sandwich for extra flavor.
How do I prevent the peanut butter from sticking to the air fryer basket?
Placing a piece of parchment paper beneath the sandwich in the air fryer basket or on the tray can prevent the peanut butter from sticking to the basket and make cleanup easier.
Can I cook more than one sandwich at a time in the air fryer?
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may be able to cook multiple sandwiches at once. Ensure they are arranged in a single layer and not overcrowded for even cooking.
How do I reheat leftover sandwiches?
To reheat leftover sandwiches, preheat your air fryer to a lower temperature (around 250°F or 120°C) and heat them for a few minutes until they regain some crispiness. Keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
What does air fryer pbj taste like?
An Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) sandwich tastes like a warm, toasty, and slightly crispy version of the classic PB&J, with a twist. Here’s a breakdown of the flavors:
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons jelly
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 slices bread
- butter, optional
- Spread the peanut butter on one side of the bread and the jam on the other.
- Place the two sides together to make a sandwich.
- Then place the sandwich into the air fryer. Coat outside of sandwich with butter for toastier bread, optional.
- 300 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 3 minutes, then flip and do another 3 minutes.
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooking Spray, optional
Storing, reheating, and freezing Air Fryer Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) sandwiches is a convenient way to enjoy them later. Here’s how to do it:
Storing PB&J Sandwiches:
- Room Temperature: If you plan to eat the sandwich within a few hours, you can store it at room temperature in an airtight container or a sealed plastic bag. However, this is best for short-term storage.
- Refrigeration: For longer storage, place the sandwich in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate it for up to 1-2 days. Keep in mind that refrigeration can make the bread slightly less crispy.
Reheating PB&J Sandwiches:
- Air Fryer: To reheat the sandwich, preheat your air fryer to a lower temperature (around 300°F or 150°C). Place the sandwich in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes, or until it’s heated through. This will help maintain some crispiness.
- Oven: Preheat your oven to around 350°F (175°C). Place the sandwich on a baking sheet and bake it for 5-10 minutes until heated to your liking. This method also helps preserve some crispiness.
Freezing PB&J Sandwiches:
- Individually Wrap: If you want to freeze PB&J sandwiches, it’s best to do so individually. Wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place in a Freezer Bag: After wrapping, place the individual sandwiches in a large resealable freezer bag. Squeeze out any excess air to prevent freezer burn.
- Label and Date: Label the bag with the contents and date to keep track of freshness.
- Freeze: Place the bag in the freezer. PB&J sandwiches can be stored in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
Thawing Frozen PB&J Sandwiches:
- Overnight in the Fridge: To thaw, transfer the frozen sandwich from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat it.
- Room Temperature: Alternatively, you can let the sandwich thaw at room temperature for a few hours.
- Reheat: After thawing, follow the reheating instructions mentioned above to restore some crispiness.
Remember that while freezing and reheating PB&J sandwiches can be convenient, the texture of the bread may not be as crispy as when it’s freshly made. However, it’s still a tasty and satisfying option for a quick meal or snack.