Nothing is better on a Friday afternoon during Lent than a great Air Fryer Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese. The air fryer does a fantastic job of crisping up the bread while the inside gets warm and the cheese melts. It’s amazing!
If you have a can of tuna in your pantry, grab it, and you can make a great and easy lunch or dinner. I served it today with traditional pickles and chips, but you can really serve it with anything. My favorites are coleslaw ns potato salad.
Best yet, this recipe is so simple. The kids completely went nuts over it; they loved it better than my Air Fryer Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (and they love that)!!
What Is A Tuna Melt?
If you never had one but love tuna, I would like to introduce you to your new favorite sandwich. If you love tuna, you will love a tuna melt. With just a few ingredients, you can create the perfect sandwich.
All tuna melts start with a tuna salad, and then with the help of a couple of pieces of cheese, the tuna melt is air fried to perfection, and the cheese starts to melt, holding it all together.
Why Make A Tuna Melt In Air Fryer
Making a tuna melt in an air fryer offers several advantages. The circulating hot air in the air fryer creates a crispy texture on the outside of the sandwich while keeping the tuna filling moist and flavorful. Air fryers are efficient, cooking the tuna melt in less time than traditional methods. The even heating ensures that the bread and tuna filling cook evenly.
The air fryer is also great at melting cheese to perfection, creating a gooey layer on top of the tuna melts. Using an air fryer for a tuna melt is a healthier option as it requires less oil. Air fryers are versatile appliances that are easy to clean, and making a tuna melt allows for customization with different pieces of bread, cheeses, and toppings. Making a tuna melt in an air fryer offers convenience, efficiency, and delicious results.
Air Fryer Tuna Melt Recipe Ingredients
This tuna melt is a fast lunch or dinner with relatively few ingredients. It tastes amazing and will soon be one of your favorite air fryer sandwiches. If you want to make the tuna fish beforehand, I usually make it in the morning and then keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Green Onions
- Black Pepper
- Mayo or Butter
How To Make An Air Fryer Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese
If you’re looking for a new way to spruce up your grilled cheese game, look no further than this delicious air fryer tuna melt grilled cheese! This decadent dish is the perfect blend of creamy and crunchy elements and a healthy dose of protein from the tuna. It comes together quickly and easily in your air fryer, so you can create this quick meal with minimal fuss. Read on to learn how to make an Air Fryer Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese – sure to be one of your family’s new favorite recipes!
In a large bowl, mix the drained tuna, mayonnaise, and sliced green onions, and season with salt and black pepper.
Spread the tuna over one side of the bread. Leave about 1/4 inch all around.
Add the cheese on the other piece of bread, then put the two pieces of bread together. Butter the top part of the bread.
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, place the butter side down, and then butter the top side. Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes, flip, and then air fry for another 3-5 minutes.
Pro Tips For Making Tuna Melts In Air Fryer
To make the best tuna melts in an air fryer, consider these pro tips:
- Choose High-Quality Tuna: Opt for high-quality tuna packed in water or olive oil for the best flavor and texture. Drain the tuna well before using it in the recipe.
- Season the Tuna: Enhance the flavor of the tuna by adding seasonings like lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, or herbs. Mix the seasonings with the tuna to distribute the flavors evenly.
- Use a Good Melting Cheese: Select a cheese that melts well and complements the tuna, such as cheddar, Swiss, provolone, or Monterey Jack. Grate or slice the cheese for easy melting.
- Add Tasty Toppings: Consider adding toppings to enhance the flavor and texture of the tuna melt. Some popular options include sliced tomatoes, avocados, red onions, pickles, or fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
- Toast the Bread: Lightly toast the bread before assembling the tuna melt. This helps to prevent the bread from becoming soggy when the filling is added.
- Spread Condiments Evenly: Evenly spread mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, or any other condiments you prefer on the inside of the bread slices. This provides a flavorful base and helps keep the tuna moist.
- Layer the Ingredients: Layer the tuna mixture and add toppings between the bread slices. Distribute the ingredients evenly for consistent flavors in each bite.
- Let It Rest: Allow the cooked tuna melt to rest for a couple of minutes before slicing or biting into it. This helps the cheese and filling to set, making it easier to handle.
By following these pro tips, you can make delicious and crispy tuna melts in the air fryer. Feel free to customize the recipe with your preferred ingredients and experiment with different flavors to create your perfect tuna melt.
What To Serve With Air-Fried Tuna Melts
- French Fries
- Fruit Salad
Do something simple or whip up your favorite side dish. Go ahead and make whatever sounds good. We tend to do like chips and a pickle or soup.
Equipment Used In Making Grilled Cheese Tuna Melt
DON’T FORGET TO PIN–
Air Fryer Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices cheese, cheddar (yellow or white)
- 4 teaspoons butter, unsalted, room temperature
- In a large bowl, mix the drained tuna, mayonnaise, sliced green onions, season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread the tuna over one side of the bread. Leave about 1/4 inch all around.
- Add the cheese to the other piece of bread, then put the two pieces of bread together. Butter the top part of the bread.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, place the butter side down, and then butter the top side. Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes flip, and then air fry for another 3-5 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional