I love a great slice of Air Fryer Italian Meatloaf; it’s so tender and absolutely delicious. It’s a take on a traditional meatloaf, but this one is so much better and tender.
f you have been looking for an Easy Air Fryer Meatloaf recipe, this is the one. Perfectly seasoned and bakes up making in the air fryer.
The result of air frying is a tender, flavorful and delicious meatloaf dinner. Today I added some shredded mozzarella on top for a great and easy way to add even more flavor to the dish.
If you are looking for more Air Fryer Easy Dinner Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER NAKED CHICKEN TENDERS, AIR FRYER PESTO CHICKEN TENDERS, AIR FRYER MINI TACO BOWLS, and AIR FRYER STEAK FAJITAS.
What Is Italian Meatloaf?
Traditional meatloaf is made with a layer of ketchup. In an Italian meatloaf, you use a simple marinara sauce. You usually often add a layer of shredded cheese, either mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
Another main difference is that while traditional meatloaf uses ground beef, Italian meatloaf is made with ground beef and ground Italian sausage. Which really adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
How To Make Air Fryer Italian Meatloaf
- Ground Beef
- Ground Italian Sausage (Either Hot or Mild)
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Italian Bread Crumbs
- Marinara Sauce
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Seasonings: Basil, Salt, and Black Pepper
How To Make Air Fryer Italian Meatloaf
In a small skillet, add the olive oil, and over medium-high heat, simmer for about 30 seconds, and then add the diced onions. Cook until softened, then add the garlic in for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ground sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, sauteed onions and garlic, eggs, 1/2 of the marina sauce, Worchestershire sauce, and seasonings, mix well.
Spray your loaf pan with cooking spray, and then add your meatloaf mixture into the pan, pushing it tight in there. Spread the other 1/2 of the marinara sauce over the meatloaf, and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
Set into the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray (lowest shelf) for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Note: The exact time will depend on what size pan you are using and what air fryer you own. Check about 1/2 way through the cooking process to make sure that it’s not overcooked. If you find that the top starts to get browned, but the middle is raw, securely place a piece of foil over the meatloaf.
Some Pro Tips For Making The Best Air Fryer Meatloaf:
- Do not over-mix the meatloaf. Once it’s combined, go on to the next step. If you overwork meatloaf, it will air-fry up as a dense meatloaf.
- Spray your loaf pan with cooking spray, so it’s easy to remove once it’s done cooking.
- Dice the onions small, so you don’t end up with big pieces after you have cooked it and served it.
- Let the meatloaf rest slightly before serving a few minutes. It will help the juices run into the middle of ht loaf, so every piece is flavorful.
What is the Best Meat for Meatloaf?
Since we are using a blend of meat for this Italian Meatloaf recipe, I would go with lean ground beef since the sausage will have a lot of fat. Anything from 85% to 90% will work in this recipe.
For the Italian sausage, you can use either mild or hot. If you can not find ground Italian sausage, you can use the links, just removing the casing open and crumble them.
Today, I used a simple marinara sauce that I used in the meatloaf, but if you prefer the meatloaf with a traditional meatloaf sauce, here is a full proof recipe:
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, and salt.
How Long To Bake Air Fryer Italian Meatloaf
Absolutely, if you want, you can prepare it as directed in the recipe card below, and then place it in preheated oven at 375 degrees F and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Check the meatloaf to make sure it’s fully cooked before removing it from the oven.
There is nothing better than a plate of leftover meatloaf, some I often make an Air Fryer Meatloaf Sandwich, They are so good.
Can you freeze Air Fryer Meatloaf?
This is a great recipe to make and freeze for a quick-make head meal. You can either freeze it before or after air frying.
Make sure to wrap the meatloaf (for either method) with saran wrap, and then foil.
To Use From Frozen: Remove the frozen Air Fryer Meatloaf from the freezer, and place it into the refrigerator overnight. Then use the directions in the recipe card to either reheat or cook.
More Easy Air Fryer Dinner Recipes to try:
- BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
- AIR FRYER MINI TACO BOWLS
- AIR FRYER STEAK FAJITAS
- 24 OF THE BEST AIR FRYER CHICKEN TENDERS YOU’LL EVER MAKE
- AIR FRYER PESTO CHICKEN TENDERS
- AIR FRYER NAKED CHICKEN TENDERS
Don’t Forget To Pin-
Air Fryer Italian Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 pound ground sausage, either hot or mild
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup marinara sauce , (divided)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a small skillet, add the olive oil, and over medium-high heat, simmer for about 30 seconds, and then add the diced onions. Cook until softened, then add the garlic in for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ground sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, sauteed onions, garlic, eggs, 1/2 of the marina sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, and seasonings, and mix well.
- Spray your loaf pan with cooking spray, and then add your meatloaf mixture into the pan, pushing it tight in there. Spread the other 1/2 of the marinara sauce over the meatloaf, and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Set into the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray (lowest shelf) for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Mini Loaf Pan