Being from Boston, my uncles were all fishermen. Therefore, I was treated to a LOT of seafood, over the years. There was absolutely nothing better than my uncles dropping off the days’ catch to my mom, who would almost make something amazing. I remember my uncle’s dropping off baby lobsters because no one would buy them, now we all know them as chicken lobsters, and if they were free, there would be a line around the block, to get them.
My husband grew up as a good old midwestern boy, but he vacationed every year at Cape Cod, where he ate his share of great seafood.
When I moved to Ohio after we got married, I noticed that the seafood was different, they didn’t have lobsters, they had crab legs, and I literally remember going through the supermarket and saying, what are those? They just looked like something that came from outer space. Instead of cod, they ate salmon. I have never had salmon, so it was an acquired taste, my mother in law made the best salmon that I have ever had. I will probably be making it in the next couple of weeks, as we finish up Lent. She served it with a creamy dill dip, that even my son would eat (granted he would eat it without the salmon, but he would finish his bowl, LOL).
Seafood is important, it’s a great source of protein without a lot of fat. It hits most of the marks, gluten-free, low carb, and other diets.
Hope you and yours enjoy it!
Don’t Forget to Pin—Print
These are really easy in the air fryer. Th is is one of the few recipes, that I recommend preheating the air fryer. The flavor is great, it reminds me of Chinese salt and pepper appetizer, I had once.
- 1 pound squid, diced into rings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- Start by mixing the flour with the salt and pepper. While you are working preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- In one bowl, beat the egg. Then dip the calamari into the egg, shake off the excess.
- Then dip the calamari/squid into the flour mixture, and as you coat them, place them on the air fryer basket or tray (sprayed with olive oil, so they don’t stick)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes, (air fryer mode) after 5 minutes, flip the calamari with tongs, for an air fryer tray, or shake the basket if you have an air fryer tray.
- Add another 3 minutes to the timer.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: Air Fryer Calamari