Salt and Pepper Calamari is perfectly crispy, delicious, and incredibly easy! This is the best breaded calamari you will ever make, and it will change your life by providing you with a healthier and tastier alternative to traditional calamari.
Air Fryer Calamari
Fry some calamari in the air fryer with salt and pepper until it’s crispy, and you’ll be glad you did. Breaded calamari is so good you’ll be smacking your lips and begging for more! To make this easy air fryer calamari, you can forego the deep fat fryer to save on some calories. It’s great as an appetizer or side dish with your favorite dipping sauce for a quick meal or casual get-together.
It’s no secret we LOVE our air fryer! Be sure to try out some of my other popular air fryer appetizers. Here are a few to get you started: Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts, Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Tots, and Air Fryer Stromboli.
Seafood is important; it’s a great source of protein, and some varieties are filled with good fats. It hits most of the marks and is safe for gluten-free, low carb, and other diets.
Why You’ll Love Calamari In The Air Fryer
- Only 5 minutes of prep time
- Breaded calamari is delicious
- Impresses seafood lovers
- Only 5 ingredients
- Party appetizer
- Fancy, but simple!
Air Fried Calamari Ingredients
How To Make Salt and Pepper Calamari
Step 1: Prepare the breading
Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Coat calamari
Beat an egg in a bowl, then dip calamari into the egg. Shake off excess. Then, dip the calamari into the flour mixture.
Step 3: Air fry breaded calamari
Place calamari in the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the calamari is crispy. Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use homemade breading?
Nope! You can buy any fish breading that you like, and it will work perfectly with this air fried calamari!
Do I need fresh or frozen squid?
This salt and pepper calamari is great whether you use fresh or frozen squid. If you live where you can buy great fresh seafood, that is my preference. Otherwise, you can head to the freezer aisle and buy a bag. Frozen calamari is already cut into rings too! You will need to defrost it before making air fryer calamari with it.
Can I use an air fryer oven?
Absolutely! The air fried calamari comes out the same regardless of using a regular air fryer or oven air fryer. You may have to adjust the cooking time because each device is different.
What kind of dipping sauce can I use?
I feel like this salt and pepper calamari is so good with a variety of sauces. Some of my favorites are sweet chili sauce, cocktail sauce, and tartar sauce. Try out different sauces to see what you like best.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Frozen Mussels In The Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Steak Bites Wrapped In Bacon
Hope you and yours enjoy it!
Don’t Forget to Pin—
Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Calamari
- 1 pound squid, diced into rings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 egg
- Start by mixing the flour with the salt and pepper. While you are working preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- In one bowl, beat the egg. Then dip the calamari into the egg, shake off the excess.
- Then dip the calamari/squid into the flour mixture, and as you coat them, place them on the air fryer basket or tray (sprayed with olive oil, so they don’t stick)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes, (air fryer mode) after 5 minutes, flip the calamari with tongs, for an air fryer tray, or shake the basket if you have an air fryer tray.
- Add another 3 minutes to the timer.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer