Everyone loves gingerbread, especially as the December holidays roll around. This is a traditional Gingerbread recipe, it is a dense bread, and did really well in the air fryer. Today, my recipes for Air Fryer Homemade Gingerbread Cake.
Feel free to cut this into squares and serve with a healthy dollop of whipped cream, and maybe a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, yummy!
I wanted to get a jump on my December holiday baking, and with two teens, they always serve as my go-to taste testers, plus in all honesty, they are ALWAYS hungry.
So, today I bring to you my Classic Gingerbread Recipe.
What is a Classic Gingerbread?
To me, a classic means that something with old-fashioned ingredients today I used molasses. If you are not familiar with molasses, you can usually find it, in either the baking aisle of your grocery store, near the sugar, or in the pancake aisle, near the maple syrup.
Molasses is a by-product of the sugar-making process. The sweet syrup comes in a number of different colors. They range from light molasses, dark molasses, and Blackstrap molasses.
Another ingredient that I used is buttermilk. Now, if you do not have buttermilk on hand the really easy way to make homemade buttermilk is to add 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar and mix well.
Gingerbread if you have never eaten it is much heavier than traditional cakes. It is far denser.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Gingerbread Cake:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground Ginger
- Granulated Sugar
- Buttermilk (see notes on how to make it, above)
- Unsalted Butter
Simple Step by Step Guide for Making Gingerbread Cake:
How to Store Leftover Gingerbread:
If you do not have hungry, hungry teens living with you, you may have some leftover. I would suggest that you store it in an air-tight container, and it will last about 3 to 4 days.
You could also freeze it if you want to get ahead of the cooking holiday frenzy. Just make sure it’s completely cooled, and place it in a closed Ziploc bag.
To use it from the freezer: Just place the frozen gingerbread into the refrigerator or thaw on the counter.
Other Holiday Treats:
Some Helpful Products Used In Making This Homemade Gingerbread Recipe, (Affiliate Links Are Included)
Do Not Forget To Pin, Air Fryer Gingerbread Cake–Print
This is a really simple homemade gingerbread cake recipe.
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes on how to make it, above)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger.
- Then mix in the egg, molasses, sugar, buttermilk, and butter.
- Mix well, remembering to scrape the sides of the bowl, to get all of the batter folded in.
- Spray your baking pan with olive oil spray.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Set your pan into the air fryer. And set the temperature to 320 degrees F, (air fryer setting) for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes check and see if it’s fully cooked, if not, add another 10 minutes. The exact time is going to be determined by the air fryer you own, and the pan you use. I recommend using a thinner pan, so it cooks all the way through.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!