Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists –Pumpkin season is here, and you know what that means: time to get out your air fryer! These Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists are a delicious way to celebrate the fall season.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists. There is nothing better than a flaky and delicious puff pastry filled with the sweet taste of pumpkin, ready for the fall.
These look beautiful, but the truth is they are so simple actually to make, but if you want to impress someone, this is the recipe to make. And it crisps up beautifully in the air fryer.
I love a great and easy recipe I always have, this one has hints both of pumpkin and pesto, and the flavors complement each other. Truly a great side dish, breakfast, or dessert, this is going to be one of your go-to recipes for the fall season.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Puff Pastry Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER CINNAMON SUGAR APPLE PUFF PASTRY, AIR FRYER, PUFF PASTRY FRIED DOUGH, AIR FRYER PUFF PASTRY DONUTS, and AIR FRYER, AIR FRIED, INSTANT POT, VORTEX PLUS, PUFF PASTRY SHORTCAKE PUFFS IN 4 MINUTES.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists
This recipe has many flavors, but I used many seasonings, including ground cinnamon, salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, and garlic powder.
The inside has flaky puff pastry, pesto filling, pumpkin puree, shredded mozzarella provolone, and parmesan cheese.
The topping was simple with melted butter, Italian seasoning, and diced parsley and green onions.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists
- Puff Pastry Sheets
- Pumpkin Puree
- Basil Pesto
- Shredded Mozzarella Provolone Mix
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Green Onions
- Sliced Almonds or Walnuts
- Seasonings & Spices: Ground Cinnamon, Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, and Garlic Powder, Italian Seasonings, Parsley,
How To Make Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists
In a bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, pesto, cheeses, egg, and spices. On a cutting board lay one of the puff pastry sheets flat.
Spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of the pastry sheet covering the whole sheet. Gently pat-down.
Lay the second puff pastry sheet on top of the pumpkin mixture and gently press down. Cut into strips approx 1″ wide.
Please take one of the strips and twist it several times, then bring the two ends together and press into each other to create a nest shape. Set aside. Repeat step 6 until all of the strips have been made into nests.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F, Air Fryer Setting. Combine the melted butter and Italian seasoning, then brush onto the tops of all of the nests. Lightly spray the basket of your air fryer once it is done preheating. Carefully lay the nests into the basket of your air fryer, trying to keep them about an inch apart. Cook for 12-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
Take out of the air fryer and set on a cooling rack. Top with chopped parsley or green onion and sliced almonds or walnuts. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container once cooled.
Some Pro Tips For Making This Recipe
- Add sliced almonds to the pumpkin mixture to give these an extra crunch!
- These could easily be made in a conventional oven, cook at 350 for about 18 to 20 minutes.
What is the best store-bought puff pastry?
I would recommend using the Pepperidge Farm brand or Trader Joe’s for the best results.
Both of those brands have butter, making for a light and buttery crust for your end product.
Do I need to thaw frozen puff pastry?
For best results in most recipes, I would strongly recommend that you thaw your puff pastry.
Otherwise, the puff pastry will not rise, especially in the air fryer, so I highly recommend thawing.
How long should I thaw puff pastry?
The best way to thaw puff pastry is in the refrigerator. Since the cold dough is easier to work with and you will have a better pastry if you work with the dough while it is cold. It should only take about 3 to 4 hours to thaw frozen puff pastry dough.
But, if you are in a rush or forgot to take the puff pastry out of the freezer, place it on the counter. The counter method will only take about 20 to 30 minutes. The key is to get it when it’s just defrosted, as the longer you leave the dough on the counter, the gummier it will become.
What Type of Pumpkin Do I Buy For This Recipe?
There are two kinds of pumpkin that you can purchase in the grocery store; they are Canned Pumpkin and Pumpkin Pie Filling.
Most of the recipes that use pumpkin refer to pumpkin puree. Canned pumpkins are cooked and pureed pumpkins. In contrast, pumpkin pie filling is mixed with spices and sweetened.
Use a can of Libby’s Pumpkin Puree for this recipe, found in the baking aisle at most American Grocery Stores.
What Type of Pesto Do I Use In This Recipe?
Since you only need about two tablespoons of pesto, I used a simple basil pesto I found in the grocery store. For a great quality basil pesto, these are my favorite brands that have a homemade taste. (affiliate links)
- Classico Traditional Basil Pesto Sauce & Spread
- ROI Pesto Sauce – Vegan Pesto | Fresh Ligurian Basil Pesto Made of Genovese DOP basil and EVOO | Gluten-Free Pesto | Keto-Friendly Basil Sauce
- Compagnia Sanremo Pesto DOP Basil Pesto
Don’t Forget To Pin-
Air Fryer Pumpkin Twists
Nothing is better than a flaky and delicious pumpkin twist garnished with melted cheese and fresh spices; this makes an amazing treat for the entire family.
- ● 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- ● ½ cup + 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ● 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- ● 1 cup shredded mozzarella provolone mix
- ● ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ● 1 egg
- ● ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ● ¼ teaspoon salt
- ● ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ● ½ teaspoon red pepper flake
- ● ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ● 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ● ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ● Chopped parsley and green onion for garnish
- ● Sliced almonds or chopped walnuts for garnish
1. In a bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, pesto, cheeses, egg, and spices.
2. On a cutting board, lay one of the puff pastry sheets flat.
3. Spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of the pastry sheet covering the whole sheet. Gently pat
4. Lay the second puff pastry sheet on top of the pumpkin mixture and gently press down.
5. Cut into strips approx 1” wide.
6. Take one of the strips and twist it several times, then bring the two ends together and press into each
other to create a nest shape. Set aside.
7. Repeat step 6 until all of the strips have been made into nests.
8. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
9. Combine the melted butter and Italian seasoning, then brush onto the tops of all of the nests.
10. Lightly spray the basket of your air fryer once it is done preheating.
11. Carefully lay the nests into the basket of your air fryer, trying to keep them about an inch apart.
12. Cook for 12-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
13. Take out of the air fryer and set on a cooling rack.
14. Top with chopped parsley or green onion and sliced almonds or walnuts.
15. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container once cooled.
1.Add sliced almonds to the pumpkin mixture to give these an extra crunch!
2. These could easily be made in a conventional oven, cook at 350 for approx 20 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on ForkToSpoon.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Leave a Reply