This is a great and classic Chinese Food pleaser; my kids love ordering these from the Chinese restaurant. They make a great light lunch, serve along with your favorite dipping sauce, or make the homemade sweet and sour sauce.
- 2 pounds boneless breast of chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch pieces
- Once you finished chopping the chicken, move on to make the dipping stations.
- In one bowl mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and five-spice, mix well.
- In another bowl beat the egg, and add the sesame oil, mix until well incorporated.
- Spray the basket with olive oil spray.
- Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture. Then into the egg mixture and then back into the cornstarch mixture.
- As you batter them place them in your air fryer basket. Spray very generously with olive oil spray. Set the temperature to 370 degrees for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes flip and spray with olive oil (completely covering them, so the batter gets crispy) Air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the ingredients ,with the exception of the cornstarch and water. Whisk and simmer, for about 4-5 minutes. Just keep on mixing the sauce, so it doesn’t burn or stick.
- Then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and water together, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Keywords: Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken