Are you looking for an easy and healthy way to satisfy your craving for Buffalo chicken? Look no further! Today, I’m sharing my delicious Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats recipe.
These zucchini boats are stuffed with a cheesy buffalo chicken mixture, topped with Cheddar cheese, and baked in the air fryer until they’re crispy and golden brown. They make a tasty, gluten-free meal that’s perfect for lunches or dinners – plus, it’s ready in just 20 minutes! So get ready because these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are about to knock your socks off.
What Are Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are a delicious and healthier twist on the classic buffalo chicken wings. They consist of zucchini halves hollowed out and filled with a flavorful mixture of shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and various other ingredients. The zucchini acts as a boat or container for the buffalo-chicken mixture.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
Are you looking to whip up a delicious and healthy dinner with minimal effort? Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are the perfect go-to recipe! All you need is a few simple ingredients and an air fryer, and with just a few minutes of cooking time, this deliciously lightened-up version of buffalo chicken will have your taste buds singing.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken: Use fully cooked chicken breast, leftover Rotisserie chicken, or even fully cooked chicken strips.
- Hot Sauce: Use Frank’s Hot Sauce or another brand. Add enough as you wish for added heat.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that has been melted
- Zucchini: Use firm zucchini that is ripe.
- Blue Cheese: Use fresh blue cheese crumbles
- Garnishings: Cleery, finely diced, and ranch dressing.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats In Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious meal that packs quite the flavor punch, look no further! Buffalo chicken zucchini boats made in an air fryer are guaranteed to be a hit with your family or friends. Not only is this dish low-carb, but it’s also super easy to make from scratch. This blog post will provide detailed instructions on creating the perfect buffalo chicken zucchini boat recipe using an air fryer. We’ll walk through everything step-by-step so you can confidently transform fresh vegetables into savory pieces of artwork. Read on to learn more about this amazing recipe!
Step One: Prepare The Zucchini
Wash and dry the zucchini. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and carefully hollow out each zucchini half. Set the zucchini aside.
Step Two: Prepare The Filling
Combine the shredded chicken, hot sauce, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Stir until combined, and the chicken is coated in buffalo sauce.
Add the buffalo chicken to each zucchini boat.
Step Three: Air Fry Chicken Zucchini Boats
Place the zucchini boats into the air fryer basket, and set the cooking time for 15-20 minutes at an air fryer cooking temperature of 330 degrees F, using an air fryer setting.
Step Four: Serving
Once it’s finished cooking, remove it from the air fryer and sprinkle the boats with blue cheese crumbles, chopped celery, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
- Prepare the zucchini boats: Follow the same steps as before, slicing the zucchini in half lengthwise and scooping out the seeds and center to create the hollow boat shape.
- Season the zucchini boats: Lightly brush or spray them with olive oil before filling them with the buffalo-chicken mixture. This helps add a bit of crispiness to the zucchini when cooked in the air fryer.
- Cook in batches: Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the zucchini boats in batches. Overcrowding the air fryer can lead to uneven cooking, so it’s better to cook them in smaller batches if necessary.
- Adjust cooking time: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the zucchini boats.
- Check for doneness: The zucchini boats should be tender but still hold their shape. You can test their doneness by piercing them with a fork. If they are fork-tender, they are ready.
- Garnish and serve: Once the zucchini boats are done, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle chopped cilantro or parsley on top for added freshness, and serve them as a delicious appetizer or main dish.
Remember to adjust cooking times based on the specifics of your air fryer, and keep an eye on the zucchini boats as they cook to prevent overcooking.
Can I make Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats in any air fryer?
Yes, you can make Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats in most air fryers. The cooking instructions may vary slightly depending on your specific model, but the general principles remain the same.
What temperature should I set my air fryer to?
Preheat your air fryer to 330 degrees F for the best results. This temperature allows the zucchini boats to cook evenly and helps achieve a crispy texture.
Do I need to adjust the cooking time when using an air fryer?
Yes, cooking times may vary when using an air fryer compared to a traditional oven. It’s recommended to start with a slightly shorter cooking time, around 10 minutes, and then check for doneness. Continue cooking in 2-3 minute increments if needed until the zucchini is tender.
Should I coat the zucchini boats with oil before air frying?
It’s a good idea to lightly brush or spray the zucchini boats with olive oil before air frying. This helps add a bit of crispiness to the zucchini and prevents them from drying out.
Can I use frozen chicken for the filling?
It’s best to use cooked and shredded chicken to fill Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats. If you’re using frozen chicken, make sure to thaw and cook it thoroughly before shredding and mixing it with the buffalo sauce and other ingredients.
Can I use different sauces instead of buffalo sauce?
You can experiment with different sauces to suit your taste preferences. Barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, or a combination of sauces can be used instead of buffalo sauce. Feel free to get creative and customize the flavor to your liking.
Can I make the zucchini boats ahead of time?
While enjoying the zucchini boats fresh is best, you can prepare the components beforehand. Hollow out the zucchini and cook and shred the chicken in advance. When you’re ready to serve, assemble the zucchini boats with the buffalo chicken mixture and cook them in the air fryer.
How do I store leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Reheat the zucchini boats in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F/175°C) for a few minutes until heated through.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- 3 cups chicken, cooked, and diced or shredded
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 zucchini
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing, optiona, garnish
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and carefully hollow out each zucchini half. Set the zucchini aside.
- Combine the shredded chicken, hot sauce, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Stir until combined, and the chicken is coated in buffalo sauce.
- Add the buffalo chicken to each zucchini boat.
- Place the zucchini boats into the air fryer basket, and set the cooking time for 15-20 minutes at an air fryer cooking temperature of 330 degrees F, using an air fryer setting.
- Once it’s finished cooking, remove it from the air fryer and sprinkle the boats with blue cheese crumbles, chopped celery, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, optional
- Parchment Paper, optional